The Other Abrahamic Religions

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #233320 by
We're often woefully unaware of just how many divergent Abrahamic religions there are and some which call themselves Christian but aren't accepted by any of the more mainstream Christian denominations.
  • Satanism
  • Gnostic Christianity
  • Christianity that rejects the Trinity
  • Baha'i

There are more here that than I've listed and I'd love to discuss them all. If you know of one I've forgotten or you're particularly familiar with one I listed and want to share a bit of your knowledge, please do so here.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233328 by
Replied by on topic The Other Abrahamic Religions
There are some extreme Christians called Red Letter Christians who ONLY really follow the words of Jesus from the bible (the red texted stuff). Some of the them go so far as to decry many parts of the Bible. I have been on the receiving end of many a conversation about how Paul was a crappy messenger of God and shouldn't have been included as the "Word". lol.

More
8 years 1 month ago #233335 by MadHatter
I would have to post a mild disagreement with Satanists being listed as part of the Abrahamic faiths. For the most part any codified faith with organisation and clear cut ritual, beliefs, and religious books tend to be of the Church of Satan verity. To the best of my knowledge Satanism was codified in the late 60s by Anton LaVey. Sure prior to that people have been called satanists but no structure or belief system was fleshed out. ( Again to the best of my knowledge.
So considering that the path was forged and codified as an atheistic one I dont think it properly falls into this category. Many people call themselves theistic Satanists but could not voice what they believe very well. At least none that I have met. So I do not really take such things into account. Again if I am wrong please I am open to education. But as far as I know actual Satanism is not Abrahamic.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

More
8 years 1 month ago #233345 by Br. John
http://progressivechristianity.org/

Attachment h3419647.jpg not found

Founder of The Order
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #233350 by steamboat28

Jamie Stick wrote:

• Gnostic Christianity

Gnosticism is only vaguely arguably Abrahamic, given their thoughts on the demiurge. Non-trinitarian Christianity is still Christianity, so I don't count it as a separate faith-group under the Abrahamic umbrella.
[hr]

MadHatter wrote: I would have to post a mild disagreement with Satanists being listed as part of the Abrahamic faiths...But as far as I know actual Satanism is not Abrahamic.

LaVeyan Satanism is still arguably Abrahamic because its philosophical figurehead is the Abrahamic version of Lucifer. Regardless on their beliefs of the non-literal nature of that figurehead, that is what the faith has been patterned after.
[hr]

Connor L. wrote: Paul was a crappy messenger of God and shouldn't have been included as the "Word". lol.

That's not just Red-Letter Christians. That's a lot of Christianity. Anybody who's spent time studying the Scripture in a lot of depth will either adore Pauline Christianity or tell you that Paul ruined Christianity. Half of the crap he says is completely opposite the teachings of Christ.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 1 month ago #233355 by MadHatter

steamboat28 wrote:

MadHatter wrote: I would have to post a mild disagreement with Satanists being listed as part of the Abrahamic faiths...But as far as I know actual Satanism is not Abrahamic.

LaVeyan Satanism is still arguably Abrahamic because its philosophical figurehead is the Abrahamic version of Lucifer. Regardless on their beliefs of the non-literal nature of that figurehead, that is what the faith has been patterned after.

Fair and valid point. Though Id say that it would require belief in the literal to be solid in my view. But your way of seeing it is not wrong so I will cede that depending on how you look at it you might consider it Abrahamic.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #233361 by

MadHatter wrote: I would have to post a mild disagreement with Satanists being listed as part of the Abrahamic faiths. For the most part any codified faith with organisation and clear cut ritual, beliefs, and religious books tend to be of the Church of Satan verity. To the best of my knowledge Satanism was codified in the late 60s by Anton LaVey. Sure prior to that people have been called satanists but no structure or belief system was fleshed out. ( Again to the best of my knowledge.
So considering that the path was forged and codified as an atheistic one I dont think it properly falls into this category. Many people call themselves theistic Satanists but could not voice what they believe very well. At least none that I have met. So I do not really take such things into account. Again if I am wrong please I am open to education. But as far as I know actual Satanism is not Abrahamic.

As a Satanist I am scratching my head a little at this whole post. The point of this thread was for people to share their thoughts, knowledge, and experience on the subject of Abrahamic religions that don't get discussed among the warring siblings: Judaism, Christianity, Islam. It was never my intention to start a debate, especially over the legitimacy of my own religion belonging to the Abrahamic rite.

I am from a non-theistic sect of Satanism diverging from the strictly individualistic and self-indulgent history of the religion, but all the literature upon which my beliefs are based still come from a distinctly Christian understanding of Satan. I have yet to read LaVey's work (amazing how little he matters when you don't follow his brand of Satanism), but I suspect that even with LaVey the Satan he invoked with that name was a Christian conception of Satan. Satanism is a much more recent, perhaps one of the youngest siblings in the lineage of Abrahamic religions.

steamboat28 wrote:

Jamie Stick wrote:

• Gnostic Christianity

Gnosticism is only vaguely arguably Abrahamic, given their thoughts on the demiurge. Non-trinitarian Christianity is still Christianity, so I don't count it as a separate faith-group under the Abrahamic umbrella.

I included Gnosticism here only because it might be considered a syncretic blend of older Gnostic traditions into the Christian packaging. Although Gnosticism could be its own topic, I don't think anyone would fault me for wanting to point out the Christian flavor Gnosticism took on during the early years of the Roman Empire's demise. When I add these other forms of Christianity, I call them "other Abrahamic religions" specifically because they are not in the spotlight regardless of how they might consider themselves. Additionally, I wanted to include people who are somewhat inaccurately described as Gnostics simply because there has been confusion between the Gnostic gospels and gospels that were discarded by the Catholic Bishops as they worked hard to create their vision of a unified church and a unified gospel message (by silencing any voice or destroying any document which contradicted their chosen version of the story).

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #233373 by Edan
I'm a Satanist, once a theistic one but no longer, and I would never consider anything I believe, have believed, as being abrahamic in origin or nature, when Satan for me is more related to Set of Egyptian myth than the devil of Christianity. The same would be said for other Satanists I know. Satanism is incredibly diverse.

Many Satanists try and escape this idea that we actually believe in God and Devil.. And I'm not convinced even LaVeyan Satanism fits in abrahamism because there is no belief, it's a use of symbology.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #233374 by
I think I'm going to do some more research on Satanism. Everything I've heard about it this far has been interesting. And it might be a way for me to reconnect with my Abrahamic roots a little bit again :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233475 by
Replied by on topic Re:The Other Abrahamic Religions

Edan wrote: I'm a Satanist, once a theistic one but no longer, and I would never consider anything I believe, have believed, as being abrahamic in origin or nature, when Satan for me is more related to Set of Egyptian myth than the devil of Christianity. The same would be said for other Satanists I know. Satanism is incredibly diverse.

Many Satanists try and escape this idea that we actually believe in God and Devil.. And I'm not convinced even LaVeyan Satanism fits in abrahamism because there is no belief, it's a use of symbology.

Well, I sit truly amazed. I haven't heard this perspective before but then again I don't usually interact with a ton of Satanists outside TST.

I guess I'll have to do more reading up on that myself. I will say for myself and the material TST uses, none of it is to be taken literally nor does TST believe in Satan and God as anything more than literary characters. The message is what is important: one of the most venerated servants of the most powerful being in the universe refuses to accept tyrannical rule and rebels against the most powerful being in the universe simply because it can. That in mind, TST's material is derived directly from Christian material.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi