The Imperishable Gem

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

The Imperishable Gem 01 Jan 2012 13:44 #46934

The Daily Gem is a quote, thought, or prayer open for submissions by any member of this Temple. If you'd like to submit for the Daily Gem, please send me a PM.

Here we go: May The Force Be With Us and may we come away with greater learning and inspiration...

Moderator Edit: After a certain point in this thread, it was decided that anyone may submit a quote here. Please feel free to join in! :)
Master: Jestor
Apprentice: Psyddhattha
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadouness, Llama Su
Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014 21:05 by Proteus.

Daily Gem -- Jan 1st, 2012 01 Jan 2012 13:45 #46935

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

-- Excerpt from "Ring Out, Wild Bells".
-- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

Daily Gem -- Jan 2nd, 2012 02 Jan 2012 13:45 #47003

Today everybody permits himself the expression of his wish and dearest thought; hence I, too, shall say what it is that I wish for myself today, and what was the first thought to run across my heart this year – what thought shall for me be the reason, warranty, and sweetness of my life henceforth. I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things: then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful.

-- Gay Science, 276
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daily Gem -- Jan 3rd, 2012 03 Jan 2012 13:31 #47055

In light of several having lost loved ones of the four-legged type recently, the following is a submission by Jedi robert maccuswell:

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Viskhard

Daily Gem -- Jan 4th, 2012 04 Jan 2012 14:08 #47148

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.

-- Benjamin Franklin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 5th, 2012 05 Jan 2012 12:49 #47216

It is only in appearance that time is a river. It is a vast
landscape and it is the eye of the beholder that moves.

-- Thornton Wilder

The following user(s) said Thank You: Coyote, Viskhard

Daily Gem -- Jan 6th, 2012 06 Jan 2012 12:56 #47277

An hour’s contemplation is better than a year’s adoration.

-- Prophet Muhammad

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aceboizor, Archaic Smile, Phil Point

Daily Gem -- Jan 7th, 2012 07 Jan 2012 09:36 #47338

The idea of punishing evil presupposes that we know evil when we see it

-- God Wants You Dead, pg 128.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Viskhard, Red Lila, Edan, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 8th, 2012 08 Jan 2012 11:07 #47391

Keep yourself surrounded by people you can't live without, not people you can live with.

-- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Adder, Red Lila, Acheron

Daily Gem -- Jan 9th, 2012 09 Jan 2012 11:35 #47432

He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

-- Proverbs 16:32

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Joe, Llama Su
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Days 35 - 37 checking in Day 35 was a rest day Day 36 was 40 minute run at the gym (35 run + 5 cooldown). I'm definitely getting into the focus of running.. I run at speed intervals and I've become so focused I lose when I'm supposed to switch the speed. The music helps but sometimes I even forget that. Best track of the run was 'Coming Undone' by Korn. Day 37 was 30 minutes yoga. I am seeing the effect of all the yoga I am doing.. while I am not flexible particularly, my flexibility is slowly increasing, and the strength in my arms has definitely increased.
    • American men, American media, and the villificatio... (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: One of the first things that article says is "Media shapes our sense of ourselves." That line itself encapsulates every reason why every assumption made by that article is wrong. If you are so weak minded as to let your entire self identity be controlled by stuff you see on tv, then you need to seriously reevaluate your life. I think the main concern is about young boys being harmed.
    • Taoism (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • This is for Alexandre. We spoke in chat the other day and I didn't have the likn available to show him; www.taowoods.org/quote/index.htm Enjoy
    • Forum Access Changes (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: Feel free to be dissapointed all you would like. Throw a temper tantrum too if you wish. While you do, we will still be here getting things done to improve matters just as we always have. This does not entail dismissing anybody, however those who scream and cry because everything did not happen the way they demanded will only be making things harder on themselves to be thoroughly considered. Going into threads protesting that the knights and council are all dismissive has no constructive basis and only contributes to the already existing conflicts that we are trying to settle. Seems strongly worded, maybe out of frustration? I'm not happy about this anymore now than I was when it first came out but I'm letting go of it. Maybe some/most of us should let this thread rest, take some time for the water to settle down and the air to clear? Peace :)
    • Course Comms (Last post by tzb)
    • Discussion 6 - The Road of Trials now available: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/the-h...6-the-road-of-trials PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE COURSE COMMS THREAD
    • Discussion 6 - The Road of Trials (Last post by tzb)
    • [image] We left our hero... in the belly of the whale, having crossed a threshold into the darkest point since they set out on their adventure. The odds are stacked against them, and there is no easy way out of their predicament. So how will they move forward from here? Our hero has left their ordinary world and entered the world of the adventure. But have they begun to change yet? Thinking of Luke as he enters the Death Star, he is very much the same person he was when he first met Ben - sure, he has his father's lightsaber and he's started to consider the Force, but what has he got to show for this? He has left Tattooine, been captured by the Empire, and now the work of transformation must begin if he is to survive, to "escape", and to become the hero he needs to be. The road of trials is a long, arduous and gruelling stage which will challenge the core beliefs the hero has about themselves, the world they have just entered when setting out on their adventure, and the world they left behind at home. The hero will face repeated challenges and must overcome them, potentially at great cost to themselves or those with them. It is this process of facing and overcoming challenges which enables the transformation and growth our hero needs to reach their ultimate goal. [image] The road of trials may not always be so obviously a road, nor quite so jolly... The "road" may not be a road as such, but it is a sequence of tests and challenges the hero must overcome to reach their eventual goal. The nature of these tests varies considerably depending on the hero's nature, and is likely to incorporate the next few steps along the hero's Journey (meeting the goddess, woman as temptress and atonement with the father), but there are two common elements unique to this stage of the quest: Brother Battle - Frequently the hero must battle someone they considered an ally, perhaps someone in their own quest party who turns against them or is revealed to be a traitor or spy. The hero must overcome this hidden threat and thereby learn a lesson about who they can and can't trust. An example from Star Wars is the battle between Obi-Wan and Vader. Dragon Battle - Dragons are powerfully symbolic creatures in mythology. They represent many things, including the challenges we and others feel are too great to be overcome. The hero is often tasked with confronting such an "unstoppable force", and often overcomes it using their wits rather than outright strength. An example from Lord of the Rings is Gandalf's confrontation with the Balrog. [image] Ultimately the road of trials is a surprising time in the life of our hero, where they are tested and find they have the reserves and ability to overcome the challenges they face. The early triumphs of this stage, immediately after the "darkest hour" of the belly of the whale, provide the hero with the confidence and self-awareness they need in order to achieve their eventual goal. No longer the fish out of water in the world of the adventure, they may find themselves a leader or important figure in the events which unfold. Their actions surprise and sometimes baffle others, but it is thanks to the hero that the road of trials can be passed. So, with this newfound courage and self-esteem, the hero may receive their first glimpse of the world beyond the quest - they may get some idea of the future which lies in store, should the be successful. Often this message arrives with another kind of herald - the goddess. Quote: In the vocabulary of the mystics, this is the second stage of the Way, that of the "purification of the self," when the senses are "cleansed and humbled,1' and the energies and interests "concentrated upon transcendental things"; or in a vocabulary of more modern turn; this is the process of dissolving, transcending, or transmuting the infantile images of our personal past. In our dreams the ageless perils, gargoyles, trials, secret helpers, and instructive figures are nightly still encountered; and in their forms we may see reflected not only the whole picture of our present case, but also the clue to what we must do to be saved. From The Hero with a Thousand Faces Examples Spoiler: * Gilgamesh: Gilgamesh travels through the Land of Night and crosses the Waters of Death on the journey to meet Utnapishtim * The Odyssey: Odysseus faces the trials of Polyphemus, the Circones, the Lotus-Eaters, the Lastrygonians, the sirens, Scylla and Charybdis and the cattle of the sun god * The Enlightenment of Buddha: Buddha is antagonised by "the evil one", including having hurricanes, torrential rains and even flaming rocks to deal with * The Crucifixion of Jesus: Jesus is flogged, mocked by soldiers, clothed in a purple robe, crowned with thorns, beaten and spat on before having to walk to his own execution * Beowulf: Beowulf must not only Grendel, but also his mother and ultimately a dragon * The Theft of Thor's Hammer: Thor must remain "in character" at the brial feast. He almost blows it with his rapacious appetite and red eyes, but Loki's silver tongue saves the day * King Arthur: Arthur founds Camelot, gathers his Knights and battles enemies such as Morgana * The Lord of the Rings: The road to and through Moria, and the breaking of the Fellowship * Star Wars Episode IV: Luke, Han and Chewie must navigate the Death Star to find Leia * The Karate Kid: Mr Miyagi teaches Daniel to fight ("Wax on. Wax off.") * The Lion King: Simba must make a life for himself in the jungle with his new friends Timon and Pumbaa * The Matrix: Neo encounters both the real, and the "hacking" possible in the Matrix, downloads of skills etc * Harry Potter: Again, almost all of Harry's story could be seen as this stage writ large Questions Spoiler: * Life presents us with many trials, and we are sometimes victorious, and sometimes overcome. Think of the two great trials in your life, one in which you were victorious, and one in which you were overcome. Do you feel one allowed you to grow more than the other? Why? * Brother battles are an important but traumatic aspect of this stage of the adventure. Can you think of a time when someone you trusted turned against you? Was your trust misplaced? What did you learn from the experience? * Myth and dream are closely related, in that both reflect the deeply symbolic relationship our imaginations have with our experience of the world. Read this interpretation of dragon dreams. When you think of dragons, how do they make you feel? What do you think they represent? Why do you think so many myths have a dragon as one of the first enemies the hero must overcome? * Fictional Jedi must undergo symbolic "trials" at the end of their training. At TOTJO we don't follow this practice. What trials to TOTJO Jedi face? Think of the benefits for the hero of the road of trials - self-awareness, confidence, early victories. Interesting further reading on the rich archetypal symbolism of the dragon. Next: The Meeting with the Goddess (Available Sunday 26th October)
    • Access Forum Changes (Refined) (Last post by SeventhSL)
    • As I opposed the initial changes I would just like to show my appreciation to the Knights for their efforts with this refinement and to make TOTJO a better place for all of us. I very much understand that you have a difficult task to manage the desires and expectations of so many and I thank you for not hardening your hearts and for listening to the voices of the lower ranks as well as the higher. I sincerely hope that this new solution, or some variation thereof, proves to be successful. I am very hopefull for there is more to a name than their appears. Time tells all things. Also thank you to those higher ranks who take the time to create and discuss topics with those below them. Though it may go unappreciated you act as mentors and guides to beginners like myself. Thank you.
    • No offense, but... (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Sure. You always have choice. That won't change responsibility if in fact you are responsible. Now stop being so sensitive,

There are 140 visitors, 8 guests and 37 members online (3  are in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jon, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Karn, ren, Kitsu Tails, Joe, roy1593, Ptolemy, Trose , Red Lila, Proteus, Luthien, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, The Oncoming Storm, Rickie The Grey, Vusuki, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, elizabeth, Edan, Silvermane, tzb, Zenchi, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, taidavrikaurvan, Goken, Revan Falton, Angwusi, Exarchias, Shen, xsouthxtownx, Jayfeather.

Follow Us