The Imperishable Gem

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

The Imperishable Gem 01 Jan 2012 13:44 #46934

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
The Daily Gem is a quote, thought, or prayer open for submissions by any member of this Temple. If you'd like to submit for the Daily Gem, please send me a PM.

Here we go: May The Force Be With Us and may we come away with greater learning and inspiration...

Moderator Edit: After a certain point in this thread, it was decided that anyone may submit a quote here. Please feel free to join in! :)
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadouness, Llama Su
Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014 21:05 by Proteus.

Daily Gem -- Jan 1st, 2012 01 Jan 2012 13:45 #46935

• LTK
  • Knight
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

-- Excerpt from "Ring Out, Wild Bells".
-- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

Daily Gem -- Jan 2nd, 2012 02 Jan 2012 13:45 #47003

• LTK
  • Knight
Today everybody permits himself the expression of his wish and dearest thought; hence I, too, shall say what it is that I wish for myself today, and what was the first thought to run across my heart this year – what thought shall for me be the reason, warranty, and sweetness of my life henceforth. I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things: then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful.

-- Gay Science, 276
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daily Gem -- Jan 3rd, 2012 03 Jan 2012 13:31 #47055

• LTK
  • Knight
In light of several having lost loved ones of the four-legged type recently, the following is a submission by Jedi robert maccuswell:

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Viskhard, keeltydawn

Daily Gem -- Jan 4th, 2012 04 Jan 2012 14:08 #47148

• LTK
  • Knight
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.

-- Benjamin Franklin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 5th, 2012 05 Jan 2012 12:49 #47216

• LTK
  • Knight
It is only in appearance that time is a river. It is a vast
landscape and it is the eye of the beholder that moves.

-- Thornton Wilder

The following user(s) said Thank You: Coyote, Viskhard

Daily Gem -- Jan 6th, 2012 06 Jan 2012 12:56 #47277

• LTK
  • Knight
An hour’s contemplation is better than a year’s adoration.

-- Prophet Muhammad

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aceboizor, Archaic Smile, Phil Point

Daily Gem -- Jan 7th, 2012 07 Jan 2012 09:36 #47338

• LTK
  • Knight
The idea of punishing evil presupposes that we know evil when we see it

-- God Wants You Dead, pg 128.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Viskhard, Red Lila, Edan, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 8th, 2012 08 Jan 2012 11:07 #47391

• LTK
  • Knight
Keep yourself surrounded by people you can't live without, not people you can live with.

-- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Adder, Red Lila, Acheron

Daily Gem -- Jan 9th, 2012 09 Jan 2012 11:35 #47432

• LTK
  • Knight
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

-- Proverbs 16:32

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Joe, Llama Su
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Terrible Idea (Last post by Vusuki)
    • It's very interesting that today during some reading I read this... and I can imagine this relating to 'spreading the good word' as it were. Enjoy! :) (I've struck out parts of the text that are not precisely related to this. Instead I urge to fill it the strike-outs yourself with 'Not a jedi' and 'Being a jedi' or whatever words apply best for you.) Quote- "You may look at someone and think he or she is sitting badly, but it's up to that person and there is no moral superiority in standing 'better'. If it works for you do it, but do it quietly. You may find the Alexandre Technique can produce the desired effects if you practise it yourself - telling other people that they need it or that they are standing badly can put them off ever wanting to learn about it. If it works for you that's great - let others wonder about your new graceful way of moving or increased health and vitality. If they want to know your secret they'll ask, and you can tell them, but meanwhile just concentrate on yourself." 'Teach yourself the Alexandre Technique'- Richard Craze So... if that's not clear, perhaps 'leading' or 'telling people' needs to be done simply with your own personal behaviour and how you handle yourself... Does that make sense? Thanks for posing the question. It gives rise to interesting reflection! Enjoy your journey, :)
    • Blaming God (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • this is from viktor frankl's "mans search for meaning" "In attempting this presentation and explanation of the typical characteristics of a concentration camp inmate, I may give the impression that the human being is completely and unavoidably influenced by his surroundings. (In this case the surroundings being the unique structure of camp life, which forced the prisoner to conform his conduct to a certain set pattern.) But what about human liberty? Is there no spiritual freedom in regard to behavior and reaction to any given surroundings? Is that theory true which would have us believe that man is no more than a product of many conditional and environmental factors - be they of a biological, psychological or sociological nature? Is man but an accidental product of these? Most important, do the prisoners' reactions to the singular world of the concentration camp prove that man cannot escape the influences of his surroundings? Does man have no choice of action in the face of such circumstances? We can answer these questions from experience as well as on principle. The experiences of camp life show that man does have a choice of action. There were enough examples, often of a heroic nature, which proved that apathy could be overcome, irritability suppressed. Man can preserve a vestige of spiritual freedom, of independence of mind, even in such terrible conditions of psychic and physical stress. We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way. And there were always choices to make. Every day,every hour, offered the opportunity to make a decision, a decision which determined whether you would or would not submit to those powers which threatened to rob you of your very self, your inner freedom; which determined whether or not you would become the plaything of circumstance, renouncing freedom and dignity to become molded into the form of the typical inmate. Seen from this point of view, the mental reactions of the inmates of a concentration camp must seem more to us than the mere expression of certain physical and sociological conditions. Even though conditions may suggest that the inmates were bound to react in certain ways, in the final analysis it becomes clear that the sort of person the prisoner became was the result of an inner decision, and not the result of camp influences alone. Fundamentally, therefore, any man can, even under such circumstances, decide what shall become of him - mentally and spiritually. He may retain his human dignity even in a concentration camp. Dostoevski said once, "There is only one thing that I dread: not to be worthy of my sufferings."{OB1 note: this is here translated more as "that i do not have the inner resources to meet my suffering with dignity" than that "i fear to suffer in ways which are "unfair" or which i do not "deserve" most understand that but theres always that one (usually ME) who needs things explained very carefully} These words frequently came to my mind after I became acquainted with those martyrs whose behavior in camp, whose suffering and death, bore witness to the fact that the last inner freedom cannot be lost. It can be said that they were worthy of their sufferings; the way they bore their suffering was a genuine inner achievement. It is this spiritual freedom - which cannot be taken away - that makes life meaningful and purposeful The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity - even under the most difficult circumstances - to add a deeper meaning to his life. It may remain brave, dignified and unselfish. Or in the bitter fight for self-preservation he may forget his human dignity and become no more than an animal. Here lies the chance for a man either to make use of or to forgo the opportunities of attaining the moral values that a difficult situation may afford him. And this decides whether he is worthy of his sufferings or not." its a pretty short read but covers obviously some really powerful and meaningful ground, which i thought was quite relevant to the topic he actually goes on to speak particularly of individuals reaction to medical issues later in the work but i chose to excerpt this particularly because of its universality heres a pdf for those interested www.anderson5.net/cms/lib02/SC01001931/C...arch-for-meaning.pdf
    • Free Kabbalah Course (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm finally watching this video, so whenever you fancy starting a discussion Connor I'm ready :)
    • Duel of the Fates - lyrics... etymology?? (Last post by Tarran)
    • Quote: What? No no no. It's in Sanskrit: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_of_the_Fates That's an easy google search. lol. But, the translation is a bit fuzzy, I'm told. But, it's not nonsense. Awesome! Thanks so much! :D I *knew* it had to have something! :D Easy Google search... yeah, my Google-fu is weak LOL
    • speed of light (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • like you said, you would need to find out if light regains its full speed/momentum on exit as far as WHY it would stop at any particular speed i dont have the background for that but my question would be "is the speed oflight the fastest speed possible because its the fastest speed the universe allows? or simply because light is the fastest thing we know of in the universe?" if there is some inhibiting force on the potential speed inherent to the universe then that would be the answer i guess lol - maybe weve got the whole thing sideways and light is the only thing in the _verse that ISNT moving
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Checking in... Ran for 45 minutes today.. about 15 minutes longer than I expected :) I'm getting my fitness back quicker than I thought I would. Best track of the run was 'Pump it' by Black Eyed Peas.
    • Name Change? (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: I know you don't like to do this very often but can I just be plan "Rickie". I choose "Rkie The GREY" to seperate myself from the sith/dark/light threads and to emphasize the ying/yang thing but those thoughts/words don't define me, they limit me. I'm really just plane old "Rickie" trying to keep life simple. Thanks if you can do this. NBD PM me...
    • Songs that have Jedi Teachings, etc... (Last post by Baija Damel)
    • Within You Without You (George Harrison) We were talking About the space between us all And the people who hide themselves Behind a wall of illusion Never glimpse the truth Then it's far too late When they pass away We were talking About the love we all could share When we find it To try our best to hold it there With our love, with our love We could save the world If they only knew Try to realize it's all within yourself No one else can make you change And to see you're really only very small And life flows on within you and without you We were talking About the love that's gone so cold And the people who gain the world And lose their soul They don't know, they can't see Are you one of them When you've seen beyond yourself Then you may find Peace of mind is waiting there And the time will come When you see we're all one And life flows on within you and without you
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Raikoutenshi)
    • I see and write and I read and I feel In some way shape or form these poems are all real I want to convey these emotions that torment Trying to escape from the everlasting present Shying from the past always looking to the future What is going to come I’m never really too sure So I feel and I read and I write and I see Giving away all these little pieces of me I don’t want ‘em go ahead and take some Half the time I don’t know where they come from Out of the blue the hit me like rockets Feeling electrified like my fingers in a socket So I write and I see and feel and I read Looking to myself I beg and I plead Coming to conclusions I don’t want to hear Circumstance leaving nothing to chance it’s all to clear I know what I want and I’m gonna go and get it Nothing will stop me from getting what I’m gonna get And I read and I feel and see and I write Often alone in the middle of the night The poems of these others I sit and I read I look to myself and I sit and I plead I look all around and I try to see Unsure of this thing I like to call me I look inside and I begin to feel Trying to convey all the things that are real So If you’re up at night, you can watch me write Brought on by what I’ve read after I sat and I plead Desperately trying to see what is inside of me Maybe, just maybe you’ll feel, something inexplicably real ~Rai

There are 211 visitors, 5 guests and 29 members online (none in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Alethea Thompson, Kitsu Tails, Darren, Proteus, V-Tog, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, MJ Hannigan, Vusuki, Arashikaze, Demnos, Edan, Silvermane, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Secret Crowds, Tarran, Cyan Sarden, den385, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, *BuntuBob, KenMarcotte, MaGnA CrYsTaL, PaintedWarrior, punchi.

Follow Us