The Imperishable Gem

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

The Imperishable Gem 01 Jan 2012 13:44 #46934

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
The Daily Gem is a quote, thought, or prayer open for submissions by any member of this Temple. If you'd like to submit for the Daily Gem, please send me a PM.

Here we go: May The Force Be With Us and may we come away with greater learning and inspiration...

Moderator Edit: After a certain point in this thread, it was decided that anyone may submit a quote here. Please feel free to join in! :)
Master: Jestor
Apprentice: Psyddhattha
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadouness, Llama Su
Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014 21:05 by Proteus.

Daily Gem -- Jan 1st, 2012 01 Jan 2012 13:45 #46935

• LTK
  • Knight
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

-- Excerpt from "Ring Out, Wild Bells".
-- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

Daily Gem -- Jan 2nd, 2012 02 Jan 2012 13:45 #47003

• LTK
  • Knight
Today everybody permits himself the expression of his wish and dearest thought; hence I, too, shall say what it is that I wish for myself today, and what was the first thought to run across my heart this year – what thought shall for me be the reason, warranty, and sweetness of my life henceforth. I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things: then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful.

-- Gay Science, 276
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daily Gem -- Jan 3rd, 2012 03 Jan 2012 13:31 #47055

• LTK
  • Knight
In light of several having lost loved ones of the four-legged type recently, the following is a submission by Jedi robert maccuswell:

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Viskhard

Daily Gem -- Jan 4th, 2012 04 Jan 2012 14:08 #47148

• LTK
  • Knight
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.

-- Benjamin Franklin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 5th, 2012 05 Jan 2012 12:49 #47216

• LTK
  • Knight
It is only in appearance that time is a river. It is a vast
landscape and it is the eye of the beholder that moves.

-- Thornton Wilder

The following user(s) said Thank You: Coyote, Viskhard

Daily Gem -- Jan 6th, 2012 06 Jan 2012 12:56 #47277

• LTK
  • Knight
An hour’s contemplation is better than a year’s adoration.

-- Prophet Muhammad

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aceboizor, Archaic Smile, Phil Point

Daily Gem -- Jan 7th, 2012 07 Jan 2012 09:36 #47338

• LTK
  • Knight
The idea of punishing evil presupposes that we know evil when we see it

-- God Wants You Dead, pg 128.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Viskhard, Red Lila, Edan, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 8th, 2012 08 Jan 2012 11:07 #47391

• LTK
  • Knight
Keep yourself surrounded by people you can't live without, not people you can live with.

-- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Adder, Red Lila, Acheron

Daily Gem -- Jan 9th, 2012 09 Jan 2012 11:35 #47432

• LTK
  • Knight
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

-- Proverbs 16:32

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Joe, Llama Su
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Conscription - Draft (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: There has been a lot of talk here about contracts and obligations and a 'freedom to choose'. What we tend to forget, particularly in long established 'free' societies, is that those freedoms came at a cost. Whether it was 14 years ago in New York City, 50 years ago in Vietnam, or 240 some odd years ago in Colonial America, there have always been Americans willing to put others before themselves and give their lives so that the rest of us could be free and remain free. The same can be said for every other 'free' nation in the world. Whether you agree with the current cause of your government or not, you should not forget that your government (and the freedoms and protections it provides you) did not come about on its own. People fought for it, died for it, built it, and have taken pride in it. To demand a personal right to ignore an obligation that comes with being a citizen, in my mind, is selfish and offensive to the people who have made that choice even possible. I understand that you wish to uphold the desires of your forebears, but if I'm honest that sounds a lot like an appeal to tradition. Wouldn't someone who fought in such wars argue "I didn't fight for America so that gay black and asian men could get married!" Should we respect their homophobic and racist positions too? The past is for informing ourselves of the present, the past is not there so that we'll be beholden to it in the present.
    • Should Jedi carry weapons? (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: Quote: 31 Weapons are terrible things. If you want to get right with Tao, reject weapons. The Master, knowing that all things came from Tao, recognizes what he has in common with his enemies. But when there is no other choice, he uses force reluctantly. He does so with great restraint, and never celebrates a victory; to do so would be to rejoice in killing. A person who would rejoice in killing has lost touch completely with Tao. When you win a war, you preside over a funeral. Pay your respects to the dead. :) So the using weapons is like starting a civil war?
    • Jediism and non Jediism (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: I was wondering.. what is the difference between someone who study Jediism, and someone who does not? The second question: Are there differences like insight or point of view between someone who study Jediism, and someone who does not?? ~ Aqua Not much that I can tell. It only makes a difference on where you can post. ;)
    • Userpics and nicknames (Last post by den385)
    • Thank you! There's a lot of deep stories behind userpics/avatars. I guess, however private you wish to be, they still radiate your personality. I understand now that the openness of face and name (den385 is just short of my real name and the number is just because simple`den` or `denis` is always already taken) should not be considered "the only correct way" by me. It is just one of them. I think, using fantasies is a good for studying your inner world. I did it to - just not in userpics. For now, this way of inner discovery through fantasy images seems over for me. But it's all very subjective, very individual. That was my point of confusion. As for me, I feel similar to @Darren: Quote: I just haven't felt the need to use another name here, it's always seemed like a place where I can be honest about who I am. And that's because I really want to be honest and open in here, whatever someone can find out about me. That is my personal emphasis in userpic/avatar and it's nothing more than a personal emphasis. And, after all, I don't use my surname for privacy - so there are limits for everybody. @Brenna, so, no, I think using real name/avatar is just one of the ways to practice openness and trust in the community.
    • Ikigai - "a reason for being" (Last post by den385)
    • @Adder - But how are gonna be good at both maths and football to the point that you're getting paid? )) @Aqua - I am afraid, finding Ikigai is a way of uncertainty and sometimes it can seem quite a labyrinth. I can discuss how I've found mine, if it would be of any help. 1) I was studying pure higher mathematics in one of Russia's best place for it. I wasn't very good and there were problems distracting. It didn't inspire me, it didn't light fire in my eyes, it didn't make my heart burn, there was no drive. Yet, it was useful. 2) Then I did quite courageous and same time stupid thing - I transferred to much less cool university (MIREA) with applied maths and programming. It was hard to study in that place, but I've started to get what Ikigai is, though I didn't know this word then. The fire came only in tiny pieces - when I planned my programming course projects and reached success in 'em, and when I was meeting interesting people and interesting tasks on programming conferences, which more like a hangout than a serious thing. 3) On last course of MIREA, I started to work as Junior programmer. It was hell of a lot frustrations. You don't know much, people seemed mean sometimes, they didn't want me to grow, just want to be productive. Normal jobs, yet I wasn't much of a fighter that time. I understood, that some life distractions and bad structure of MIREA and much more - my own indecisiveness costed me chances to do my own thing and have precious experience. 4) I changed several jobs in next 3 years. Was searching for "the right thing". Never understanding, that the only "right thing" I was searching was drive from challenges. This search and personal issues rewarded me with frustrations, uncertainty and instability in my career. 5) Finally, due to personal issues and my own lack of experience, I landed up on an awfullest job I ever had. Bad wage, bad tasks, bad people. Anti-drive in overabundance. And here I've understood that Ikigai is your own game above every professional activity there is. I understood that you can have your own rules of craft. But if your rules are not strict enough, they will get you fired. So your rules should be "what is expected of ordinary ok worker" + "what gives you drive: purpose, autonomy, mastery". Sometimes it's something extra on job. Sometimes - a side-project. 6) Now I've left this job with resources for a few months. I can finish my own project and find a decent job. Over all I can say that finding Ikigai is what Jobs meant by "follow your heart, don't stop" in his famous Stanford lecture. It's not easy, but if you can do it, your working life becomes meaningful and rewarding. And I believe that when you are good at what you love, and if you have will, that is the only right road to success. Finding Ikigai depends on self confidence. What self confidence is - it's subjective. But when you have your own world, your own vision, your own life, than working just to get paid starts to be a bad deal. And you are on a search for another attitude. I could say, you're searching for your own game wthin the Game of Life.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • I hate how dangerous hormones are. I hate that my doctor is such a sweet man because it means I would feel guilty if I tried to pull a fast one on him. I hate that my body is doing weird things and may make it so that I cannot continue on hormones.
    • Transcendence (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: I would recommend the documentary "Transcendent Man" if you haven't seen it ad enjoyed the movie. Essentially Ray Kurzweil is Johnny Depps character sans the science fiction....at present. Also Extropianism/Extropism & Max More. Here is an interview/debate between Max and Ray, and discusses things like the singularity.
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by Tk768)
    • When I priced them some where higher/some lower on both ends. Both are awesome companies, but the had been some negative talk on other forums about Ultra ( mostly their conversion and commissioned work). But I will still stand by both being awesome companies, fair priced, and still the most recommended. You can't go wrong either way. Ultra does have some cooler custom pieces though.
    • Anyone see this? (Last post by SeventhSL)
    • Quote: Edit:... you might not want to know what I believed (and still think of often) before coming here Ha ha. :) Well if my post proves anything it is that I like to know what people believe and why. Even if I disagree. I figure there is enough people out there who only want to hear information that reinforces their own opinions without me adding to the list.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps And Meditation. 14# day without coffee.
    • Happy Thanksgiving! (Last post by SilverWolf)
    • Happy Thanksgiving Revan! I am thankful for you and all the Jedi of the Order, I am also thankful for my family and my life! Do not eat too much revan! Enjoy time with your family! May the Force be with you! SilverWolf
    • Jediism and non Jediism, (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: One might argue that a Jedi would think a bit differently because they think in Jedi terms, use Jedi language. But that would be about it. Identifying as a Jedi does not grant insight right off top. It does not guarantee that one treats people well or makes good choices. To better or worse, Jedi are subject to the same set of human failings as anyone else. What makes a human being insightful is work, experience, and the ability to reflect. Jedi do not have a trademark on that in any way. Nor do I think it is necessary to be a Jedi in order to live well. I figure Jedi that are insightful and live a good life do it in a way that aligns with their approach to the Jedi path. This may not address your question precisely, but it needs saying now and again: being a Jedi doesn't make you better. I am most sorry for my first post, I did not want to make topic with the intention to say Jedi are ''better'' I should hold my head in shame if I would believe Jedi are, I am just curious if there are differences in global way of speaking. Maybe I should ask the question in a different way.. :blush: If Jediism is a religion with a wide range of teachings. How to know the difference between Jedi and non Jedi?

There are 296 visitors, 5 guests and 20 members online (2  in chat): Akkarin, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, roy1593, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Rickie The Grey, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, babyblueyes247, Frost, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, SeventhSL, Aqua, Revan Falton, StarWalker930, Rocda, Peej16870.

Follow Us