The Imperishable Gem

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

The Imperishable Gem 01 Jan 2012 13:44 #46934

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
The Daily Gem is a quote, thought, or prayer open for submissions by any member of this Temple. If you'd like to submit for the Daily Gem, please send me a PM.

Here we go: May The Force Be With Us and may we come away with greater learning and inspiration...

Moderator Edit: After a certain point in this thread, it was decided that anyone may submit a quote here. Please feel free to join in! :)
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadouness, Llama Su
Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014 21:05 by Proteus.

Daily Gem -- Jan 1st, 2012 01 Jan 2012 13:45 #46935

• LTK
  • Knight
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

-- Excerpt from "Ring Out, Wild Bells".
-- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

Daily Gem -- Jan 2nd, 2012 02 Jan 2012 13:45 #47003

• LTK
  • Knight
Today everybody permits himself the expression of his wish and dearest thought; hence I, too, shall say what it is that I wish for myself today, and what was the first thought to run across my heart this year – what thought shall for me be the reason, warranty, and sweetness of my life henceforth. I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things: then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful.

-- Gay Science, 276
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daily Gem -- Jan 3rd, 2012 03 Jan 2012 13:31 #47055

• LTK
  • Knight
In light of several having lost loved ones of the four-legged type recently, the following is a submission by Jedi robert maccuswell:

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Viskhard, keeltydawn

Daily Gem -- Jan 4th, 2012 04 Jan 2012 14:08 #47148

• LTK
  • Knight
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.

-- Benjamin Franklin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 5th, 2012 05 Jan 2012 12:49 #47216

• LTK
  • Knight
It is only in appearance that time is a river. It is a vast
landscape and it is the eye of the beholder that moves.

-- Thornton Wilder

The following user(s) said Thank You: Coyote, Viskhard

Daily Gem -- Jan 6th, 2012 06 Jan 2012 12:56 #47277

• LTK
  • Knight
An hour’s contemplation is better than a year’s adoration.

-- Prophet Muhammad

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aceboizor, Archaic Smile, Phil Point

Daily Gem -- Jan 7th, 2012 07 Jan 2012 09:36 #47338

• LTK
  • Knight
The idea of punishing evil presupposes that we know evil when we see it

-- God Wants You Dead, pg 128.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Viskhard, Red Lila, Edan, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 8th, 2012 08 Jan 2012 11:07 #47391

• LTK
  • Knight
Keep yourself surrounded by people you can't live without, not people you can live with.

-- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Adder, Red Lila, Acheron

Daily Gem -- Jan 9th, 2012 09 Jan 2012 11:35 #47432

• LTK
  • Knight
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

-- Proverbs 16:32

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Joe, Llama Su
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Why should we have "fear of God"? (Last post by Goken)
    • Yesterday while driving I saw a man standing on a street corner with a sign, I didn't get to read the whole sign, but the first part of it said "Fear God..." I've heard stuff like this before. The "God fearing man," "fear of God ran deep," etc. I wonder why though. Why are they saying that you should fear God? Isn't the idea that God is just and kind and compassionate? Why have a religion based entirely around fear? (although one could argue that all religions are based on fear of the unknown, but that's not what I mean). I understand having a strong and powerful God that your enemies should fear (Odin, Thor, Zeus, etc) but why should the followers of that religion fear God? And if the goal is conversion isn't a much better tactic to say to "trust in God"? Kind of a "catch more flies with honey" scenario. I think of it like a good martial arts teacher. If you are afraid of your martial arts teacher they're doing it wrong. Sure, you should have an understanding that they could easily beat the ever living crap out of you should they choose to and you should respect that, but not be afraid of it. My father (who was my teacher) is one of the scariest people I have ever met and could still kill me with one hand tied to one foot, but I have never in my life been afraid of him (physically at least). You should realize that God gets the final say on eternal punishment and whatnot and have respect for that, but not be afraid of it. Fear, they say, is a powerful motivator, but also an unreliable one. Fear leads people to do crazy things, like a caged animal. Maybe basing a religion on "fear of God" is why they see their numbers dwindling. People are tired of being afraid and seek something more comforting. After all, isn't that what a good religion is supposed to do, comfort you? I guess I don't get telling people to be afraid of the same deity that you're telling them to love and who loves them.
    • FAQ Update (Last post by Akkarin)
    • This slipped by but has now been updated properly: Rosalyn J is Secretary for the Clergy. Cabur Senaar is Secretary for the Synod. www.templeofthejediorder.org/faq#OfficesSecretaryfortheClergy www.templeofthejediorder.org/faq#OfficesSecretaryfortheSynod And here: www.templeofthejediorder.org/component/c...n/2154-synod-charter
    • Thoughts of a simple man (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each FOCUS "High in the Himalayan mountains, lived a wise old man. Periodically, he ventured down into the local village to entertain the villagers with his special knowledge and talents. One of his skills was to "psychically" tell the villagers the contents in their pockets, boxes, or minds. A few young boys from the village decided to play a joke on the wise old man and discredit his special abilities. One boy came up with the idea to capture a bird and hide it in his hands. He knew of course, the wise old man would know the object in his hands was a bird. The boy devised a plan. Knowing the wise old man would correctly state the object in his hands was a bird, the boy would ask the old man if the bird was dead or alive. If the wise man said the bird was alive, the boy would crush the bird in his hands, so that when he opened his hands the bird would be dead; if the wise man said the bird was dead, the boy would open his hands and let the bird fly free. So not matter what the old man said, the boy would prove the old man a fraud. The following week, the wise old man came down from the mountain into the village. The boy quickly caught a bird and cupping it out of sight in his hands, walked up to the wise old man and asked, " Old man, old man, what is it that I have in my hands?" The wise old man said, "You have a bird." and he was right. The boy then asked, "Old man, old man tell me, is the bird alive or is it dead?" The wise old man looked at the boy and said, "The bird is as you choose it." And so it is with your life."
    • Windows 10 (Last post by Dessel761)
    • I ended up going into the screen where you can troubleshoot and go to safe mode. I clicked 'reset this PC' and it reinstalled windows 10 and deleted all the apps that didn't come on the laptop. Works great now!
    • Logic Puzzles (Last post by Akkarin)
    • embed.theguardian.com/embed/video/scienc...uzzle-question-video (Includes solution to first puzzle) Area maze: Answers are never fractions, the only equation you need is: Area of rectangle = width x height Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image]
    • How to speak so that people want to listen (Last post by Akkarin)
    • www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_how_to...o_listen?language=en Don't: Seven deadly sins of speaking Gossip, don't talk ill of people Judging, it's hard to listen if you know you're being judged Negativity Complaining, it's viral misery Excuses Penultimate, exaggeration and lying Dogmatism, the confusion of facts with opinions Do: HAIL Honesty, stand in your own truth Authenticity, be yourself Integrity, be your word Love, wish others well Consider: Register - deeper voices are listened to more and have more weight Timbre - people prefer rich/smooth/warm voices Prosody - the metalanguage used to impart meaning, don't be monotonous, don't end sentences like they're questions Pace - don't say things too quickly, take things slower rather than faster, use silence Pitch - Try adjusting your pitch for emphasis Volume - Adjusting your volume for emphasis, don't "sod-cast" loudly imposing your sound all the time
    • Today I.... (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Today I gave money to a friend of a friend to help with bills.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • I don't feel I can openly rant about what I want to rant about. So I'm going to rant that I can't rant about it. :angry:
    • What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Last post by Hyrum Tigerprice)
    • Great album that, CryojenX. I listened to it a lot in 93 when I went through a bit. The last song is bliss. Was listening to Alice Cooper last night when I was in the temple before. I have a KISS cd on in the car. Will probably pick up a guitar soon and give myself some music to get the soul cool again.
    • alternatives to Facebook? (Last post by Adder)
    • I don't use it much, but check it. I was the same with Myspace. Was good to see FB support VR at Oculus though, I'd love VR to have affordable market penetration and growth. I'm not sure what it's advantages are besides an evolved email contact list, to include all that other media and connectivity at the cost of real functionality. Yea a social platform, online, lol - a bit of a contradiction in terms but I get it. I just prefer things to based around functional output rather then face connection. The idea has some merit but eventually might be absorbed into the desktop of some OS :blink:

There are 579 visitors, 9 guests and 41 members online (one in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Sarus, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, V-Tog, Slydogstags, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Alan, PatrickB, J. K. Barger, Archon, Kamizu, Cyrith, Edan, Avalonslight, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, Boi Ronin, Cristris_Jons, Goken, Tarran, cm_chasse, Rocda, Loudzoo, Krieger, Protonix, Tellahane, herbalc, Corsair Gorscue, adventureexcitement242, WRRPhoto, Spartanmeup, TheToonMerc, HeirOfLight, Mikhael, DanielJ.

Follow Us