The Imperishable Gem

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

The Imperishable Gem 01 Jan 2012 13:44 #46934

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
The Daily Gem is a quote, thought, or prayer open for submissions by any member of this Temple. If you'd like to submit for the Daily Gem, please send me a PM.

Here we go: May The Force Be With Us and may we come away with greater learning and inspiration...

Moderator Edit: After a certain point in this thread, it was decided that anyone may submit a quote here. Please feel free to join in! :)
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadouness, Llama Su
Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014 21:05 by Proteus.

Daily Gem -- Jan 1st, 2012 01 Jan 2012 13:45 #46935

• LTK
  • Knight
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

-- Excerpt from "Ring Out, Wild Bells".
-- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

Daily Gem -- Jan 2nd, 2012 02 Jan 2012 13:45 #47003

• LTK
  • Knight
Today everybody permits himself the expression of his wish and dearest thought; hence I, too, shall say what it is that I wish for myself today, and what was the first thought to run across my heart this year – what thought shall for me be the reason, warranty, and sweetness of my life henceforth. I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things: then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful.

-- Gay Science, 276
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daily Gem -- Jan 3rd, 2012 03 Jan 2012 13:31 #47055

• LTK
  • Knight
In light of several having lost loved ones of the four-legged type recently, the following is a submission by Jedi robert maccuswell:

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Viskhard, keeltydawn

Daily Gem -- Jan 4th, 2012 04 Jan 2012 14:08 #47148

• LTK
  • Knight
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.

-- Benjamin Franklin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 5th, 2012 05 Jan 2012 12:49 #47216

• LTK
  • Knight
It is only in appearance that time is a river. It is a vast
landscape and it is the eye of the beholder that moves.

-- Thornton Wilder

The following user(s) said Thank You: Coyote, Viskhard

Daily Gem -- Jan 6th, 2012 06 Jan 2012 12:56 #47277

• LTK
  • Knight
An hour’s contemplation is better than a year’s adoration.

-- Prophet Muhammad

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aceboizor, Archaic Smile, Phil Point

Daily Gem -- Jan 7th, 2012 07 Jan 2012 09:36 #47338

• LTK
  • Knight
The idea of punishing evil presupposes that we know evil when we see it

-- God Wants You Dead, pg 128.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Viskhard, Red Lila, Edan, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 8th, 2012 08 Jan 2012 11:07 #47391

• LTK
  • Knight
Keep yourself surrounded by people you can't live without, not people you can live with.

-- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Adder, Red Lila, Acheron

Daily Gem -- Jan 9th, 2012 09 Jan 2012 11:35 #47432

• LTK
  • Knight
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

-- Proverbs 16:32

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Joe, Llama Su
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Cultural Appropriation (Last post by Mr. Love)
    • I'm a musician! Hey I found this awesome shirt at urteeshirt.com here's a link! dlovearts.myshopify.com/products/temple-...-area-symbol-t-shirt [attachment]
    • love hurts: mental health (Last post by Brenna)
    • Steam beat me to it. Love is sadly no guarantee that its all going to go well. But love is not the problem. Its the expectation of what you want from loving them that's the issue. And frankly, no matter how much you love someone, if you feel terrible when youre interacting, maybe you should stop interacting with them. You wouldnt keep walking on a broken leg if it hurt.
    • Mars One (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • for the species to survive we're going to have to leave earth eventually if an asteroid doesnt sink our battleship then the sun will eventually cook our goose colonization is mandatory, preferably not just multiple planets but multiple solar systems until we are a multi system species we will always be one step away from extinction
    • speed of light (Last post by Gisteron)
    • A fact is a point of data that is either indisputable in that it can through logical analysis be concluded from true premises, or undisputed because of the massive amount of evidence indicating it and no other in its place. The changing behaviour of light speed in a vacuum is not a fact. Indeed, almost all VSL hypotheses attempt to redefine the speed of light as a function of distance rather than distance as a function of that speed. In this way, most of the proposed hypotheses are mathematically equivalent to the constant light speed models. This is why in the main stream nobody has a problem defining the speed of light rather than measuring it; because it is a definition of units first and of relative quantities second. It is like if you had an empty vector space and you arbitrarily chose an origin point and defined directions and dimensions from it. There is no reason for picking the ones that you did over any other except that your choice may be more convenient for most calculations. Variable speed of light hypotheses propose a new convenience, they don't explain a discovery.
    • The World (Last post by Gisteron)
    • Quote: ... as is obvious, society is crumbling globally. Oh, is it? And that's obvious, you say? Please, go on. How so? Quote: I know there aren't a lot of Jedi that combine their beliefs with Christianity, but for me it makes sense because it describes in detail the idea that the world will come to an end, and that we will be saved by Christ himself. I honestly don't see any other way through the mess that is our world. In other words, there is no way we can improve anything, so let's wait for the end of the world like we've been saying it is imminent for milennia. Indeed, let Jesus take the wheel because we can't steer by ourselves, at least not to where anything actually improves. While we're at it, let's ignore the countless occasions where we have and still do and focus on the roads not travelled yet. Now, that may be your view and you are welcome to it. I would however, out of caution, attribute it to your personal frustration and not to Christianity, because yours is one of but many interpretations and especially because the implications of yours are such that I reckon many of your brothers and sisters in faith would not view as an inherent part of theirs.
    • Stupidity as a religion... (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: we all suffer eventually I wouldn't say eventually, ;).... Id say "we all have, or will, suffer at some point"... Its a lesson that you can't realize without enduring.... I'm hoping I've moved beyond it... chuckle... But, I've more yet in front of me...;)
    • Small Acts of Self-Love (Last post by Vusuki)
    • I've been reading a little bit of a book- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies recently and some of you've been writing Jamie reminded me of it (or vice versa!). Other elements of what I see as wisdom pop up like paying attention or recognising when we play the black and white game (Watts) in the book. I'm enjoying recognising ideas that I've heard before from other people... And so hence- I thought I'd add here a list of 'thinking errors' that we fall into. In quotinig part of the book and not all of it, I hope people will not take what i write as clearly right or wrong but just a set of ideas... I hope some find some interest and can enjoy it in any case! "... Questions that you might ask yourself in order to identify your thinking errors include: • Am I jumping to the worst possible conclusion? (Catastrophising) • Am I thinking in extreme – all-or-nothing – terms? (Black-and-white thinking) • Am I using words like ‘always’ and ‘never’ to draw generalised conclusions from a specific event? (Overgeneralising) • Am I predicting the future instead of waiting to see what happens? (Fortune-telling) • Am I jumping to conclusions about what other people are thinking of me? (Mind-reading) • Am I focusing on the negative and overlooking the positive? (Mental filtering) • Am I discounting positive information or twisting a positive into a negative? (Disqualifying the positive) • Am I globally putting myself down as a failure, worthless or useless? (Labelling) • Am I listening too much to my negative gut feelings instead of looking at the objective facts? (Emotional reasoning) • Am I taking an event or someone’s behaviour too personally or blaming myself and overlooking other factors? (Personalising) • Am I using words like ‘should’, ‘must’, ‘ought’ and ‘have to’ in order to make rigid rules about myself, the world or other people? (Demanding) • Am I telling myself that something is too difficult or unbearable or that ‘I can’t stand it’ when actually it’s hard to bear but it is bearable and worth tolerating? (Having a low frustration tolerance" Have a nice day/night, :)
    • No inner monologue (Last post by Alan)
    • Is it a monologue? Even when thinking in words (silently in our inner thoughts) are we not talking to ourselves? When we talk to ourselves using our outside voice it is a conversation that we hear. So, a dialogue. Theory: Only a being with a sense of self and language skills can have an inner dialogue. Younger children do not have this inner dialogue because they have not yet developed a sense of self, even if they do have language skills Suggested reading: Consciousness and the Acquisition of Language, Maurice Merleau-Ponty. Also of interest: The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes. Before the form of consciousness that we now experience developed (evolved), ancient persons thought their inner dialogue was actually someone else talking to them. The silent voice of perhaps, a god or other invisible being.

There are 368 visitors, 4 guests and 26 members online (one in chat): Daniel L., Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jestor, Dechlain, Darren, Proteus, Rosalyn J, Brenna, Llama Su, Mr. Love, Wudan, Mathew Erickson, Goken, GalUnDrux, Jeffery Williams, den385, Tk768, Hitira38, andyhaynes, Loudzoo, Ramadeus, Krieger, Oakenshaw, bloodx, Maverick Grey.

Follow Us