The Imperishable Gem

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

The Imperishable Gem 01 Jan 2012 13:44 #46934

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
The Daily Gem is a quote, thought, or prayer open for submissions by any member of this Temple. If you'd like to submit for the Daily Gem, please send me a PM.

Here we go: May The Force Be With Us and may we come away with greater learning and inspiration...

Moderator Edit: After a certain point in this thread, it was decided that anyone may submit a quote here. Please feel free to join in! :)
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadouness, Llama Su
Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014 21:05 by Proteus.

Daily Gem -- Jan 1st, 2012 01 Jan 2012 13:45 #46935

• LTK
  • Knight
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

-- Excerpt from "Ring Out, Wild Bells".
-- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

Daily Gem -- Jan 2nd, 2012 02 Jan 2012 13:45 #47003

• LTK
  • Knight
Today everybody permits himself the expression of his wish and dearest thought; hence I, too, shall say what it is that I wish for myself today, and what was the first thought to run across my heart this year – what thought shall for me be the reason, warranty, and sweetness of my life henceforth. I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things: then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful.

-- Gay Science, 276
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Daily Gem -- Jan 3rd, 2012 03 Jan 2012 13:31 #47055

• LTK
  • Knight
In light of several having lost loved ones of the four-legged type recently, the following is a submission by Jedi robert maccuswell:

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Viskhard, keeltydawn

Daily Gem -- Jan 4th, 2012 04 Jan 2012 14:08 #47148

• LTK
  • Knight
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.

-- Benjamin Franklin

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 5th, 2012 05 Jan 2012 12:49 #47216

• LTK
  • Knight
It is only in appearance that time is a river. It is a vast
landscape and it is the eye of the beholder that moves.

-- Thornton Wilder

The following user(s) said Thank You: Coyote, Viskhard

Daily Gem -- Jan 6th, 2012 06 Jan 2012 12:56 #47277

• LTK
  • Knight
An hour’s contemplation is better than a year’s adoration.

-- Prophet Muhammad

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aceboizor, Archaic Smile, Phil Point

Daily Gem -- Jan 7th, 2012 07 Jan 2012 09:36 #47338

• LTK
  • Knight
The idea of punishing evil presupposes that we know evil when we see it

-- God Wants You Dead, pg 128.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Viskhard, Red Lila, Edan, TheImpailerXx

Daily Gem -- Jan 8th, 2012 08 Jan 2012 11:07 #47391

• LTK
  • Knight
Keep yourself surrounded by people you can't live without, not people you can live with.

-- Unknown

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lycaenion, Adder, Red Lila, Acheron

Daily Gem -- Jan 9th, 2012 09 Jan 2012 11:35 #47432

• LTK
  • Knight
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

-- Proverbs 16:32

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Joe, Llama Su
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Best martial art? (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: Quote: If I may be so free, why would someone learn marterial arts, if he/she is learning to never use it? It sounds like a contradiction. I feel confused.. :blush: i train because i want to because i like it maybe my liking it and doing it is a result of who i am, but who i am is also a result of liking and doing it i dont hope never to use the things that i learn - i train with the understanding that there are probably still moments ahead where it will fall on me to use what i train for myself or someone else and my hope is that i dont back down or fall short in some way someone - i cant remember who - has a sig that says something like "the brave men didnt kill the dragons, the brave men rode them" im riding one of my dragons
    • saber build (Last post by RyuJin)
    • as long as they're mhs parts they're interchangeable...and now saberforge is making their hilts and electronics modular...which means more options for customizability...
    • To the Fatty on the Track (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • then again www.marksdailyapple.com/how-many-calorie...nyway/#axzz3b51pX97T www.aworkoutroutine.com/does-building-muscle-burn-fat/
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 10 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg triceps 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 10 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg triceps
    • Does "love" work? (Last post by Adi Vas)
    • In Jorge Luis Borges' short story The Immortal, a Roman soldier quests for and attains immortality. At first glance, it might seem as though he has received a most precious gift, but he soon finds that because immortality grants one the ability to (eventually) live all possible lives, it eliminates the preciousness of life. Borges argues that our finite nature, that we only have so many years with which to live, is what gives our life such meaning. I tend to think of love, compassion and kindness in a similar way. We live in a world where instinct often urges us to be brutal, cold and unfeeling in the name of survival. Though I see great beauty in it, our world is often capable of being a very ugly one. And in that context, when the whole world is saying "look out for yourself, do what you must just to survive, at any cost," to love and have great compassion is a remarkable thing - something that I find takes great strength. Certainly I would like to live in a world where everyone loved one another and did good by one another, but in such a world, our love would be mundane and normal, and not the extraordinary force it can be. So how do *I* cope with the "crappiness that exists in the world"? By loving my fellow living beings and doing my very best to do right by everyone I meet, and recognizing how powerful it is when I encounter that love myself. Because in our world, it really is a precious thing.
    • The Dark (Last post by InsaneMind)
    • Quote: Bienvenu au Temple ... :cheer: The poem makes sense, but I'm not sure if it makes the sense that you wrote into it ~ The "Darkness" is our own lassitude and folly ; it is the 'Otherness' that lets us envy and want, it is Ignorance, Opinion and Laziness. The "Darkness" does indeed consume, but from the inside>out, and that ... quite slowly and imperceptibly if we do not bring it a serious attention when it is still a pale Shadow. Unfortunately, by the time we realise it is growing - to the point that we write poetry (or philosophical essai) about it - it is no longer a 'pale Shadow'. We cannot get rid of it, for wanting to do so is part of its own desire for conquest -- in such a pursuit, the Darkness would win and thus be all there is ... ... but, we can listen to it, converse and hold discourse with it, and learn from it. After all, the Darkness isn't Evil. It is just there where the light has to bend to clarify. Moreover, it is only from its heart that we can distinguish that which is truly illuminated. Keep writing ... ;) Thank you Alexandre. I greatly appreciate your kind words of wisdom. Tonight is late and my wit has left me for today. I truthfully hope to talk to you, Edan, and the rest of the temple. Till tomorrow, thank you.
    • Higher Education (Last post by efuller18)
    • Just some advice from a current masters student who's in the process of applying to phd programs. At least in my field and most other fields that I know of your GRE scores are like the SAT scores of graduate school. Unless your field has a subject GRE test then it might be weighted more i.e. chemistry has a subject GRE test. They are more like a way of weeding people out since graduate schools receive far more applications then they can ever accept. They might make a small amount of difference for masters programs though, but not really for phd programs so much as long as you meet that programs minimum requirements. In most cases the general advice for getting into good phd programs is to get as much experience doing research as you can during your undergraduate program or masters program, have a great gpa here the standards of the school you went to really matters, and make sure you get fantastic letters of reference.
    • What kind of man or women are you towards Jediisme... (Last post by PatrickB)
    • streen seriously , Alien Alien Alien haaaaa There are Alien look in the sky a space ship :lol: And you can say being too . Things not so sure . But there are known on earth as alien's . I give you that on other planet they have probably other name like eee tatooine or corusquand or naboo or togruta or kachik or mooner's :blink: . Event we just speaking about having what it's take's for receiving the alien's or " things" or probably people how look like us streen but I dough it that they are things . Thing are object . And by the way who seriously believe if we have a job too do or not here don't want to waste my time me .
    • LuCrae's Question in Another Thread (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: I may not be popular in this regard, but I don't think the code is necessary. I very rarely think about it, preferring the creed myself. i think the code is backwards - it only makes sense once youve reached a point where youre able to translate it "there is no emotion, there is only peace" well when your dog eats your girl friend and runs off with your homework if you are anything like me then i think you are going to feel some emotion; my teacher didnt belive me and the cops didnt belive me and my parents were ashamed of me and all my SO CALLED friends laughed at me constantly certain experiences are just very difficult and "there is no emotion" would not have helped me maybe it has helped others, and if so i am glad i dont say it has NO value only that I personally think there are BETTER a code imo is supposed to give you direction in times of uncertainty i think this is a little better Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge. Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony. Death, yet the Force. at least i felt it does offer some reassurance and insight in life situations - BUT - like you say Eden, the CREED is better (in my opinion as well) HOWEVER! while the Creed is very good, is still not distinctly jedi (for those unfamiliar with "the prayer of st francis" www.catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=134) wherever it began, this does give a real direction in most any circumstance, which is what codes and creeds are for it seems reasonable that an integral part of the JEDI WAY is to develop ones own code based on ones current best understanding of what works that doesnt mean we can never "standardize" it just means that the movement is still young and HOW to "standardize" without simultaneously stifling personal freedom is a big concern (rightly so)
    • a question about the value of human life (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • mom had an arterial bypass of the femoral artery and it was tense for a while - its a surgery with some risk she is home now the recovery takes a while but shes doing good so far thanks :-) about dictionaries; obviously i cant prove this but it was a little more than 15 yrs ago when i settled myself on the definition that i use and i referenced quite a few dictionaries in the process and more than one had a definition for the word which was essentially the same as i use here also a google will still get the following a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance. "consumerism is the new religion" something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice. "natural religion" a religion validated on the basis of human reason and experience apart from miraculous or supernatural revelation; specifically : a religion that is universally discernible by all men through the use of human reason apart from any special revelation so there are dictionary precedents which offer enough interpretive freedom even now to make a case for the definition that i use also i think that it would elevate the quality of the discussion to free the word "religion" from the religious extremists i also think that once that happens, the perception that intellectual integrity requires one to completely separate oneself from any hint of religion will be lessened - which is good imo obviously i dont feel that religion and intelligence are mutually exclusive about this Gisteron: while it may be immediately beneficial to promote these ideas, there is always something dark about promoting things we don't know are indeed true; this is even more important when the promoted idea raises more questions than it answers. ---- i agree with this what i would say is that people look at "religion" and often see only the past - its not ENTIRELY INACCURATE to say that we are creating/generating/influecing or at least helping to create/generate/influence, contemporary religious thought RIGHT NOW every honest discussion that people have about the topic helps to do this, especially online if you think about it, totjo, the jedi movement, and other similar, budding movements, are on the cutting edge of the global religious development the ideas we come up with here WILL have significant cultural influence in the area of personal religious development, simply because of the intellectual and spiritual freedom and openness inherent to the jedi path now, i do belive that there are certain things which are "right" about being spiritually healthy and certain things which are "wrong" and that these have not changed much in the last 150-2000 thousand years - but its up to every generation to acknowledge these things and to promote them in its own language otherwise they stagnate into what many modern thinkers associate with the word "religion", namely crusades and jihads and superstitious ignorance i think its well enough established that we have to develop our own religions for ourselves in the course of our lives - but this doesnt really mean that we just make it up, rather that we have the experiences which open us up to the value of religious thought without latching on to them in a way that alters the path from one of personal growth into societal control but then also i think we DO have a responsibility, especially us personally as jedi, but also everyone who would stand at the forefront of thought in most any influential field, to be aware of the consequences of the ideas we promote to my way of thinking it is perfectly reasonable to advance a sort of "faithful optimism" about our value we dont have to claim certainty - but that not claiming certainty can go both ways and rather than being certain that we DONT have inherent value simply on the grounds that we havent proven otherwise, we can hold out on the idea that the puzzle is still bigger than our eyes and that it JUST MIGHT BE REALLY AWESOME in a way that can best be described as "divine" and that JUST THE POSSIBILITY that this is so is enough to convince us to take care of it a best as we can i think thats the best articulation im going to come up with of my view at the moment

There are 647 visitors, 21 guests and 41 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Shadouness, Firewolf, Jestor, Connor L., Adder, Proteus, Locksley, Xaii, Alan, PatrickB, Calem, Kamizu, Edan, Zenchi, Venator Mortis, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, Radar6590, Goken, GalUnDrux, Rocda, Tk768, Geister, Hitira38, Loudzoo, Atticus509, Krieger, Lugus Ogmios, MaGnA CrYsTaL, Talrin, WayneTec, Protonix, PeaceIsPossible1221, TardisLady, Adi Vas, Fire Water Boxer, Blind, Stroke, PowderCat, Izoshua, Zander, theta, Elephrank, Thenamelessjedi, BRAD3NGUNN, RKnowles, MeliKnowles.

Follow Us