Duty sword advice

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204882 by
Replied by on topic Duty sword advice
If you get to perform your security duties in plainclothes, I would take the more ninjutsu approach and work your weapon into a disguise. I remember this one documentary where ninjas acting as the emperor security guards disguise themselves as groundskeepers, Vagrants and janitors. If the point is to hide in plain sight then I would dress as a different position of the staff, for example if the point is to hide in plain sight then I would dress as a different position of the staff, for example: if I'm a janitor I would carry a push broom with an easily detachable staff at least by foot-long or dressed as a random customer, Feign A lamp or some back trouble and carry a cane.

True, presence is an important deterrent to crime and patrolling in uniform with an obvious weapon as a bokken or a baton and this its self prevents crime. I guess the question to ask would be "what kind of security do you need?" Is the presence respected and in turn crime prevented or are there more situations where security guards are easily overwhelmed and unsuspecting back up is required for Public Safety.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #204885 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Duty sword advice
they arent bokkens specifically, but

these work

a newer interpretation is this, which i think is a good idea conceptually, but i have never held one in my hands so my review is limited

http://www.rrbsystems.com/rapid-rotation-baton

also

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/92PBH/INDIAN_WAR_CLUB.aspx

that peg/spike is removable

and last
ive always seen these called "gun stock war clubs" - because they were originally made from the stocks of rifles - you strike with either side, ive seen designs where the more powerful bludgeon is the unspiked side, but anyway the spike is obviously not an option where you work

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/92PGS/GUNSTOCK_WAR_CLUB.aspx

i dont know if the cold steel model allows for you to remove the spike on the gun stock club or not, but that point brings me to my next suggestion, which is:

jedi build their own!

maybe you need something quickly, and if so then more than recommending a particular product i would just refer you to cold steel in general, they make high quality weaponry and their pricing is fair for everyone

but ultimately i would say that even if you dont have the tools to do it, and even if you dont consider yourself much of a craftsman, a war club or bokken or bludgeon is not, in the grand scheme of things, a complicated project (not to say it is EASY - its not)

imo, what you make for yourself will be more powerful for you, if you take the time and make the effort to do it well

lastly, lethality with bludgeon weapons imo is a matter of target selection, not weapon potential

if the weapon does not have the potential to be lethal then it is not, imo, an effective bludgeon weapon, because the force needed to crack someones leg or knee or elbow is not so far from the force needed to crack a skull

if it cant do one then it cant be counted on to do the other

edit

for further inspiration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_(weapon)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204886 by
It depends on your need really. A bokken would likely get in the way of most activities other than the conflict itself and might be harder to use in small spaces or in a large crowed. Then you're right back to your issue with the baton. If I were to carry one though I wouldn't use an actual bokken but more likely a simple round stick of about the same length. Then I'm not limited by it's shape.

A good bokken is designed to be shaped and balanced more like a sword and thus is harder to use as anything else. Something the size and shape of a solid broom handle would be good because then I could use it however I needed with ease.

For a while in Japan, after 1600, there were people similar to police called doshin (I think, I'm kind of blanking right now) that carried a Jo which was essentially just a 4 foot stick (they also carried a weapon that looked like a blunt Sai with only one prong called a jite). They used that as they were not high enough rank to be allowed a sword and their main duty was to keep bored, drunk Samurai from getting out of control without killing them. The Jo allowed a good non-lethal way to handle a drunk swordsman.

Personally, I still like the baton. It becomes small so as to not be in the way when not using it and then becomes larger to be used. But if you are truly that concerned with hurting an innocent while deploying it then I also recommend a more standard escrima stick. I like 24" but you can go with a size that works for you.

Ryujin's idea of the tonfa like baton would also work. The side handle adds a lot of options for hooking and trapping.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #204887 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Duty sword advice

OB1Shinobi wrote: these work

those are what i was talking about....pr24 police batons....very effective....they can strike, thrust, block,shield, trap...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #204888 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Duty sword advice
yeah, you were right
imo its just about the best design out there for a defense oriented bludgeon weapon, for the reasons you listed

EDIT
and with legal implications to consider its probably the best option in this situation

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204941 by
Thanks guys. I think I will go with the tonfa-type baton.

Honestly I wish I could just throw a couple (non-lethal) stinger grenades into the crowd, but there are often little kids in the Air Jordan stampede as well. Honestly, I wish the Foot Locker would just close. It's a huge liability to the mall. We already have enough planned terror to deal with, we don't need spontaneous feral behavior induced by athletic shoes.

More
8 years 6 months ago #204943 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Duty sword advice
I'd recommend you get a body camera and take lessons on how to disarm someone. This whole fictional terrorism threat is creating mass delusion and paranoia. Don't add to the police state by becoming a corporate security tyrant. I haven't stepped foot in a mall for over a decade but you're more likely to encounter a teenage gangster wannabe with a knife than a terrorist.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204953 by

Whyte Horse wrote: I'd recommend you get a body camera and take lessons on how to disarm someone. This whole fictional terrorism threat is creating mass delusion and paranoia. Don't add to the police state by becoming a corporate security tyrant. I haven't stepped foot in a mall for over a decade but you're more likely to encounter a teenage gangster wannabe with a knife than a terrorist.

By "terror," we mean organized gang activity, though we don't rule out having to deal with Jihadists. We once had a suspicious group of Chechens that we dealt with without causing any alarm.

Also, the kids of today are not the kids of yesterday. Kids don't carry chromed .25 auto pistols and flea market switchblades anymore. I've confiscated several sawed-down semi-auto shotguns hidden inside backpacks, a full-auto Ruger 10/22, an endless list of high-capacity semi-auto pistols, a couple Desert Eagles, and even a sawed-down .50 Barrett. Not to mention all the weirdo left-wing kids who do half-assed terrorist acts to be cool.

Terrorism is hyped up in the media, but not fictional in the least. I am not contributing to the "police state" in any way. The mall is a private business, and the owners have the right to use whatever security measures they want, just as a US citizen has the right to own a weapon to defend their home or business.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi