Jedi Charity

More
8 years 6 months ago #204829 by MadHatter
Jedi Charity was created by MadHatter
As far as I can read it is in the spirit and code of the Jedi to aid their community in whatever manner they are best capable. This being the case and the holidays around the corner I am going to suggest a few ideas to make the holiday brighter for those less fortunate.

1) Homeless help Bags: I cant remember where I read of this but this is a great tool for helping those really in need. What these bags are, are small bags put together from the local dollar store. They contain items like ready to eat food, personal hygiene items , clothing like socks, hats, or gloves, and water. Many many other items could be helpful but these are the basics. They can be made for anywhere from 5 to 20 dollars depending on how generous you wish to be. I am going to try to give out at least two but hope for five this holiday season.
The best part of these bags are that the fakers don't want them. They want cash. The people in true need are grateful for the food and warm clean clothing. (Oh and around the holidays I like to put in a book or other gift type item because tis the season for giving)

2) Donate canned goods to local food banks and homeless shelters. This is a no brainer and has been done for ages. With the cheap nature of canned goods even three bucks can get four or five cans on sale to donate.

3) Donate toys to Toys for Tots or any other local charities that you know are going to get them to kids who need them. Again the dollar store is your friend here. Sure its not great toys but if you are low on funds yourself its a great way to do what you can with what you have.

4) Donate your time. This is my final idea if you cant donate money/goods donate some time at a soup kitchen, shelter, or even mentoring program. Just whatever you can when you can.

So this holiday season lets challenge ourselves and each other to try to give something back to the local community. I am not sure if posting your efforts if bragging or not but I think doing a good deed should get a pat on the back so if you do it even if you dont post it from me to you thank you and May the Force be with you.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and own ideas on how we can brighten the lives of those around us this holiday season.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204830 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Charity
Yes, I do this sort of stuff. I'm part of an organization that does all sorts of charities, if there were enough Jedi around me I would just work with them instead but we're small in number it seems.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #204832 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Jedi Charity
we're scattered a good bit as well....

no matter how much i donate, it never feels like enough...so many in need...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204833 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Charity
Any chance to organize by region a time and place to perform an act of charity? I know that as long as there is enough notice to my bosses, I could make something work.

I would also like to follow up on the can food donations and making contact with a food back and ask what they are short on.

I also wouldn't mind wearing a Jedi hoodie or shirt to show the people that we Jedi are here and here to help.

More
8 years 6 months ago #204895 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Jedi Charity

RyuJin wrote: we're scattered a good bit as well....

no matter how much i donate, it never feels like enough...so many in need...

I totally understand the feeling but even if we were Bill Gates we couldnt end poverty.
The only thing we can do is take pride and pleasure in knowing that what we do brings joy into the lives of others. So many need so much that we would go mad if we thought of the things we cant or dont do. We instead must focus on what we can and will do.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi