Did KOTOR teach you anything?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204807 by
I am writing a long, long treatise on KOTOR. Did anybody find the Force through it, or was anybody improved by it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 5 months ago #204858 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Did KOTOR teach you anything?

Star Forge wrote: I am writing a long, long treatise on KOTOR. Did anybody find the Force through it, or was anybody improved by it?

Kotor 2's kreia converted me to existentialism / shadow jediism. I just finished playing the game light side though and she seems more annoying than when playing dark side.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204864 by
Replied by on topic Did KOTOR teach you anything?
Can't say it did. I was a Jedi a long time before I finally played that game.

Actually, the game that came out during my first year or so in training was Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. From that I did learn something, though it had more to do with the imbalance in the game. I used to play multiplayer with my mentor Mitth and he severely kicked my ass every time. Why? Because he played as a dark sider and I was a light sider. The imbalance being that his offensive powers were too much for my defensive powers. I could heal and absorb attacks, persuade, blind, protect, and so on, but his attacks were always too much, too damaging for me to accommodate.

So what did I learn? Well, it was the first time that I questioned what Yoda said to Luke, that the dark side is NOT more powerful than the light. I know it depends on the situation, but in terms of a fight, the dark IS stronger. Using your darker side in a fight will help you win. I know that's sounds like bad advice, but when you're in a life or death situation and defending yourself is not enough, you need to go full on dirty, so to speak.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204869 by
Mace Windu knew it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204873 by
Yes this game opened my eyes to the force in a fun and example rich way. The first game your Jedi teacher Jolee Bindo a Jedi who put himself into exile for falling in love with a sith. He taught me to not take life so seriously and think that mine is anymore important than others.
{Jolee: "Look, everybody always figures the time they live in is the most epic, most important age to end all ages. But tyrants and heroes rise and fall, and historians sort out the pieces." Revan: "Are you saying what we're doing isn't important?" Jolee: "Malak is a tyrant who should be stopped. If he conquers the galaxy, we're in for a couple of rough centuries. Eventually it'll come around again, but I'd rather not wait that long. So we do what we have to do and we try to stop the Sith. But don't start thinking this war, your war, is more important than any other war just because you're in it." ―Jolee Bindo and Revan, on the Jedi Civil War}
He also points out the flaws in the Star Wars Universe's Jedi Order..
{"Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you."
―Jolee Bindo, to Revan, when discussing love}
But enough about Jolee my true teacher was an amazingly wise former Sith Master and Jedi named Kreia.
Kreia tought me how to first feel the force. To stop and concentrate on the life around me, mentally strip away the layers of material things, and feel the pure energy flowing with life (especially in areas with heavy activity).
She also taught me the duality of a good deed. If a good deed is not properly focused it will do no good in actually solving the problem and may even have bad consequences. If you want to truly heal something ... "It requires that one be able to feel the critical point within the fractured mass... and know how to strike it in such a way that the echoes travel to your intended destination." - Kreia
She also taught me force or violence is not the answer either ... "Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever."
―Kreia

Basically she taught me there is a good and bad side to everything and to restrict yourself to the Jedi code is to enslave your mind and throw out possible alternatives.

"You must understand. I did not wish the Jedi dead. Defeated... perhaps. I merely wished them to see that they and their teachings were wrong. That one could not truly understand the Force simply by adhering to the Jedi Code."
―Kreia[src]

"Let me show you—you, who have forever seen the galaxy through the Force. See it through the eyes of the exile."
―Kreia, speaking to Jedi Masters Vrook Lamar, Kavar, and Zez-Kai Ell, moments before severing their connection with the Force
She taught me much more but going into detail about it would require a lot of effort.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206239 by
Nah it didn't teach me anything.

I didn't get the grey Jedi Gnosis from the second one everyone raves about.

I judge people's philosophy on how they use it.

From what I see, many people use sith or grey Jedi stuff simply to excuse their own poor behaviour.

Afterall we are allowed to play the game like we think Kreia is full of it.

Perhaps it's because I'm a bit older.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206242 by

Demnos wrote: Nah it didn't teach me anything.

I didn't get the grey Jedi Gnosis from the second one everyone raves about.

I judge people's philosophy on how they use it.

From what I see, many people use sith or grey Jedi stuff simply to excuse their own poor behaviour.

Afterall we are allowed to play the game like we think Kreia is full of it.

Perhaps it's because I'm a bit older.

It all differs according to what your definition of "grey Jedi" is. In the SW canon, it didn't strictly mean to walk the light between light and dark. In the purest sense, it means to, 1) view no dark-light binary in the Force, and 2) feel no need (as a Force-sensitive) to belong to an order (Jedi, Sith, or anything in-between). Jolee was an unambiguously "light-sided" character, but a grey Jedi in that he believed that a Force-sensitive/Force-user could guide themselves like a normal person without the supervision of the Jedi or Sith orders/religions/beliefs.

I identify as grey in that I don't belong to any order (including TOTJO), and I reject some of the Jedi beliefs. I've seen a lot of "Jediists," most of which having no knowledge of KOTOR or any part of the Expanded Universe, try to make up some "grey Jedi" beliefs, definitions, and codes, and I am very put off by it. I don't believe that the Force is divided between dark and light, I don't belong to an order, and I reject the Jedi and Sith beliefs. That's all it means to me. I try to be the best person I can be, not some "rogue Jedi" or "bad boy good guy."

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #206249 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Did KOTOR teach you anything?

Star Forge wrote: I've seen a lot of "Jediists," most of which having no knowledge of KOTOR or any part of the Expanded Universe, try to make up some "grey Jedi" beliefs, definitions, and codes, and I am very put off by it.

Considering Star Wars is a fiction, isn't it all 'made up'!

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Edan.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi