Guns in America

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204424 by
Guns in America was created by
Let me preface this video by saying that I realize we have a lot of pro-gun folks here and for Americans this seems like a Constitutional issue, but I think we need to continue talking about this issue. Here's a video to get the discussion going: ( Video )

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #204430 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Guns in America
It's cliche, but we don't have a gun problem in the US. We have a people problem.

This video takes into account 6 major 1st World Countries, but doesn't look at Iraq, Iran, Pakistan or any of these other middle eastern countries- which according to the UN isn't even as bad as Honduras (the highest in the world) or Venezuela.

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/post-2015/activities/egm-on-indicator-framework/docs/EGM.Presentation%20on%20Target%2016.1.UNODC.short.pdf

Yes, we have it the highest in the First World set. But we need to take into account an ENORMOUS amount of information before we can start a road to getting rid of guns and keeping our homicide rates down. For example, the countries with the higher rates don't have higher capita on guns.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/11/5797892/us-world-firearm-ownership-map

I'm not saying that disarming America cannot be an end goal, but rather if we want to see it happen we have to take steps slow and steady. It will require us to make changes to our very cultural identity to accomplish it.

Japan is the greatest example of the sort of culture that crime is just not a thing to be worried about. They've had a few extremist groups in their past, but they are the exception to the rule. Below is a good example of how vastly different their culture is compared to ours. If we want a healthy country, I'd say trying to find a way to mimic the sense of community they have would be a very good start towards a gun free America.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/why-japanese-kids-can-walk-to-school-alone/ar-AAf3h2A?li=AAa0dzB

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204431 by
Replied by on topic Guns in America
Instead of questioning if America should or should not allow guns. How about instead we ask how you plan to get rid of all the guns in the United States? And more importantly, how you plan to take it out of my home. I can guarantee, it won't be out of the generosity of mine and my husbands hearts. I am all for Jedi following the law...as long as that law is "For the people, by the people." you know...what America stands for (I speak as an American and do not stand voice to other countries). I am pretty confident that, you will find even more vicious defense for our rights to own and carry guns by everyone else.

In the end. Statistics and numbers (which is very one sided by the way) Won't change the fact that no matter what the law says. Gun's simply are apart of our lives and either the citizen's have them to defend themselves....or they don't and pose as free target practice, or own them illegally anyways.

How many of those mass shootings in those statistics was in a Gun Friendly zone? Universities, malls, theaters....Each of these locations were in a place where gun's are illegal....shame too. All it would of taken was one guy with a 9mm and some balls to stop the shooter before it ever became a "mass shooting" in the first place.

Just my passionate thoughts though ^_^ I am quite excited to get my own 9mm in the coming days so that I can go take CPL class! Hope I can do it before winter hits <(0_0)>

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #204432 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Guns in America
some food for thought...louisianna has the strictest gun control laws in the country...and the highest gun related death rate...followed by michigan...think about it...more control...more deaths....since florida passed the "stand your ground" law our gun related death rate as declined drastically....less control...fewer deaths....the "wild west" had almost no gun control...and during the "wildest" period had something like 10 deaths....

more laws and control seems to have the reverse effect....

something else to think on....how does a tyrant (any tyrant) retain control?....by keeping the masses disarmed and in fear...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 6 months ago #204433 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Guns in America
bottom line is that youre not getting peoples guns

period.

three generations from now, MAYBE

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204435 by
There are over 300 million guns owned by private citizens in the US. They're not going away, ban or not.

Also, the main problem is with gang members and mentally unstable people, not with the 99% of the people who own the guns.

Every one of these people that do these mass shootings are mentally ill and most other gun deaths in the US are criminal related (gangs, biker gangs, organized crime...ect).

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204436 by

Ousan Ka wrote: There are over 300 million guns owned by private citizens in the US. They're not going away, ban or not.

Also, the main problem is with gang members and mentally unstable people, not with the 99% of the people who own the guns.

Every one of these people that do these mass shootings are mentally ill and most other gun deaths in the US are criminal related (gangs, biker gangs, organized crime...ect).

[Citation Needed ]

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #204437 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Guns in America
i was watching "fox and friends" and one of the reporters mentioned that "you can go online and buy a gun"....um no, not legally...if you purchase a firearm online from any vendor it has to be shipped to a federally licensed firearms dealer and they have to run a background check before they can release the firearm to you even though you already paid for the firearm...i know this for a fact because i'm studying to become a master gunsmith and this information was on the test i just took and got a perfect score on...so yeah...more laws will not do anything except make it more difficult for the honest people to purchase them.....criminals will still get their guns illegally....

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204438 by

RyuJin wrote: some food for thought...louisianna has the strictest gun control laws in the country...and the highest gun related death rate...followed by michigan...think about it...more control...more deaths....since florida passed the "stand your ground" law our gun related death rate as declined drastically....less control...fewer deaths....the "wild west" had almost no gun control...and during the "wildest" period had something like 10 deaths....

more laws and control seems to have the reverse effect....

something else to think on....how does a tyrant (any tyrant) retain control?....by keeping the masses disarmed and in fear...

Yes, and Chicago has by large margin the most strict gun laws of any city in the US and is a complete warzone. 350 murders with guns in Chicago this year so far in spite of the laws. Probably 90% of these are street gang related murders. 307 of those murders were African Americans and most of these gang related.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204439 by

Jamie Stick wrote:

Ousan Ka wrote: There are over 300 million guns owned by private citizens in the US. They're not going away, ban or not.

[Citation Needed ]

http://heyjackass.com/

Not meant to be a shot at you, but an interesting site.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi