Kim Davis - Your Opinions

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #202437 by OB1Shinobi

Jedi_Roz wrote: I can't even..... There are few things that get me raging angry and this whole debacle has me seeing a color of red I had not imagined in a long time. This type of concentrated hysteria focused on completely the wrong issue is exactly why we are so divided as a country. Get that political candidate out of there......ok I don't trust myself to stay rational. I'll leave a quote from Uncle George.

Want to know what also burns my tail feathers......a flame about three feet high......

Truthfully though as much as this infuriates me the money this woman will make from talk shows, heck the book is probably already ghost written and I'm sure she'll have a movie deal too, is astounding. Genius actually. Her lawyers are probably laughing the entire way to the bank. I'm just sickened....

Attachment hdded4c8.jpg not found

i agree with everything youre saying

this post is not to comment on wrong or right

in her mug shot photo i saw (or imagined, i do that too) a glint of happiness in her expression for the adventure of "standing up for gods word"

going to county jail, as a white person, for a very short period of time, as a result of a protest, when you get to keep the certainty that you were right, is actually kind of a fun experience in a way

however

int his picture, it looks to me like she is genuinely joyful
neither of the other two are imo - lawyers and politicians are always happy for exposure naturally

there are tons of photos of k davis floating around the internet at this point
and she looks like a miserable person

to me it is a sad thing that THIS EXPERIENCE is going to be a high point in her life - the thought that this might be a pinnacle moment of felling that she is doing something good for the world and that her contribution makes a difference in a meaningful way

i feel sorry for her, sort of

which doesnt make me less aware of how wrong she is or put me "on her side" in any way

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #202445 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Re:Kim Davis - Your Opinions
Absolutely! I agree with you Obi. She is no martyr. That's why it makes me so sick to my stomach. To see a political figure there trying to comfort her and then reading that another showed up but the first's body guards would not let him on stage.....what a $&@',?% circus.

I hope this all settles down and goes away, but sadly it will not. I really wish we could (as a country) focus on better topics than this, but this is what makes money.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #202454 by steamboat28
I'm just gonna drop a few quotations here for anybody that still has the same problems I am currently having (i.e., family or friends saying her jail time was wrong because she "didn't break any law," "do anything wrong," or that SCOTUS "can't make laws" or they "didn't get a vote" or other civic ignorance):
[hr]

Article 3, Section 2, U.S. Constitution wrote: The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;—to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls;—to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;—to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;—to Controversies between two or more States;—between a State and Citizens of another State;—between Citizens of different States;—between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

[hr]

Amendment 1, U.S. Constitution wrote: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

[hr]

Amendment 14, Section 1, U.S. Constitution wrote: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

[hr]

Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U.S wrote: The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage
between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage
between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully
licensed and performed out-of-State.
Pp. 3–28.
The fundamental liberties protected by the Fourteenth
Amendment’s Due Process Clause extend to certain personal choices
central to individual dignity and autonomy, including intimate choices
defining personal identity and beliefs.
See, e.g., Eisenstadt v.
Baird, 405 U. S. 438, 453; Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U. S. 479,
484–486...Applying these tenets, the Court has long held the right to marry is
protected by the Constitution.
For example, Loving v. Virginia, 388
U. S. 1, 12, invalidated bans on interracial unions, and Turner v.
Safley, 482 U. S. 78, 95, held that prisoners could not be denied the
right to marry.
The right to marry is a fundamental right inherent in the
liberty of the person, and under the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment couples of the same-sex may not be deprived of that right and that liberty. Same-sex couples
may exercise the fundamental right to marry.
Baker v. Nelson is
overruled. The State laws challenged by the petitioners in these cases
are held invalid to the extent they exclude same-sex couples from
civil marriage on the same terms and conditions as opposite-sex couples

There may be an initial inclination to await further legislation,
litigation, and debate, but referenda, legislative debates, and
grassroots campaigns; studies and other writings; and extensive litigation
in state and federal courts have led to an enhanced understanding
of the issue. While the Constitution contemplates that democracy
is the appropriate process for change, individuals who are
harmed need not await legislative action before asserting a fundamental
right.

[hr]

Govenor Beshear, KY wrote: Our county clerks took an oath, as elected officials, to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of Kentucky and to provide important duties in their communities. This oath does not dictate what our clerks must believe, but it certainly prescribes how they must act in carrying out their duties as elected officials. Same-sex couples in Kentucky are now entitled to the issuance of a marriage license by every county clerk, based on Friday’s ruling by the United States Supreme Court. While there are certainly strongly held views on both sides of this issue, the fact remains that each clerk vowed to uphold the law regardless of his or her personal beliefs. I appreciate the clerks who are fulfilling their duties, issuing licenses to all couples, and I would expect others to execute the duties of their offices as prescribed by law and to issue marriage licenses to all Kentuckians.

[hr]

U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit wrote: It cannot be defensibly argued that the holder of the Rowan County clerk’s office, apart from who personally occupies that office, may decline to act in conformity with the United States Constitution as interpreted by a dispositive holding of the United States Supreme Court...There is thus little or no likelihood that the clerk in her official capacity will prevail on appeal.

[hr]

Kentucky Revised Statutes 402.080 wrote: No marriage shall be solemnized without a license therefor. The license shall be issued by the clerk of the county in which the female resides at the time, unless the female is
eighteen (18) years of age or over or a widow, and the license is issued on her application
in person or by writing signed by her, in which case it may be issued by any county clerk.

It's important to note here that the gender-specific wording has yet to be updated to comply with the Supreme Court ruling in Obergefell, and should therefore be disregarded as a qualification for obtaining a marriage license.
[hr]

1 Peter 2:13-16 wrote: Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Jestor, J_Roz, , Breeze el Tierno, Cyan Sarden, OB1Shinobi and 1 other people also said thanks.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 6 months ago #202644 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions

Attachment h90fdfac.jpg not found

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, RyuJin, OB1Shinobi

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago #202652 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions

Jestor wrote:

Now make it 2 camels and an oil well and we may start negotiations :woohoo:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #202654 by
Replied by on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions
jester........oh my gods........*facepalm*

More
8 years 6 months ago #202658 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions

Jestor wrote:

That's beautiful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #202819 by
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/14/how-kim-davis-violated-the-first-amendment.html?via=desktop&source=facebook

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 6 months ago #202963 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Kim Davis - Your Opinions

Jestor wrote: What the Christians are doing, in my opinion, is 'bringing it to a boil'...

For as long as I have been alive, the Christians have quietly tried to remain in power... Talking about 'good christian candidate', however, when the scandals starting popping up years ago, the credibility stared wavering...

Now, this is their 'last hurrah', and I think they are going to force (finally) the separation of Church and State...

It IS so slippery, because we have to remember we are all people, and Government is a machine, and has no conscience...

The 'people' are its conscious, and sometimes, that needs taken into account...[/color]

And per this:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/poll-kim-davis-gay-marriage-issue-licenses-213630

By NICK GASS 09/15/15, 07:46 AM EDT

Among those surveyed, 74 percent said that equality under the law should trump religious beliefs, while 19 percent said that one's personal convictions are more important. Just 33 percent said that Davis should not be required to issue the licenses, compared with 63 percent who said that Davis should do so despite her religiously-based objections.

[...]

The results contrast with the findings of an Associated Press/GfK survey conducted in July, weeks after the Supreme Court ruled same-sex marriage bans unconstitutional. In that poll, 49 percent said that local officials should not be required to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples if they have religious objections, while 47 percent said they should be. In the same poll, 56 percent to 39 percent said it is more important for the government to protect religious liberties than gay rights.

As I said, they are bringing it to a boil...

Not enough Christians in that mindset...

What interesting times we are living in...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #202979 by
This seems like a "no-brainer" to me. The clerk at the DMV has to issue me a license to drive regardless of whether she/he shares my religious beliefs, and they are simply state employees. Kim Davis is an ELECTED public servant. She can do her job according to the LAW or she can resign. Enough said.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi