Wary of old habits - confused

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201443 by
I'm not sure where I stand on video games anymore; I used to be a complete addict, playing 12 hour sessions every day. Then I found the Temple, and for once something actually mattered enough for me to reassess my life. Now there are a few games coming out soon that I'm interested in (rather than feeling compelled to own every game that comes out, whether I have the time to play it or not), and I'm not really certain how to feel.

Part of me is interested in these games because they are the continuation of of franchises with strong storytelling and engaging gameplay, however I also feel wary; not so much of "falling off the wagon", but wary more of whether I would buy a game and then realize I have no desire to play it. Do I really want to play these games, or is it merely the call of nostalgia - the ghost of who I used to be? I suppose there's a certain amount of fear involved - fear of losing myself to a fictional world again, and the depression that comes with it, but isn't it better to conquer one's fears rather than avoid them?

I'm really not sure what I want anymore. Can anyone else relate to this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201444 by
Replied by on topic Wary of old habits - confused
It seems that a strong mindfulness practice will help with this. I had a similar issue. I used to be totally stoked for Pokemon games. I bought every one. I mean, my first game system was a game boy color with yellow version. And, I found myself continually buying them even into my 20s. And, now, I sit here with a completely useless 3DSXL. One day, I just stopped caring. And, this was a while back. I was still playing. I would play day in and day out because it was what I did.

But, when I had been meditating for a few months, I began to realize how little I cared about this. And, it WAS nostalgia. It was a comforting thing. I used video games as a place to relax because I had no other coping mechanisms. This awareness was given to me, and I knew that I could still play video games (and I do every now and then!), but I don't do it mindlessly. It's either because the new zelda game it out (and I will never tire of ZELDA) or because my friends and I are going to play something. It's never to numb my experiences as a person.

I think the idea is that you should continue to develop your awareness as a person and realize "why do I play these games?" And, when the answer is something you can get behind, you will feel joy in them again.. or you will realize that it is time to put them away and you can move on and not be "tempted" anymore (don't let that sound Old Testament or anything).

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201445 by

Connor L. wrote: But, when I had been meditating for a few months, I began to realize how little I cared about this. And, it WAS nostalgia. It was a comforting thing. I used video games as a place to relax because I had no other coping mechanisms. This awareness was given to me, and I knew that I could still play video games (and I do every now and then!), but I don't do it mindlessly. It's either because the new zelda game it out (and I will never tire of ZELDA) or because my friends and I are going to play something. It's never to numb my experiences as a person.

I think you've hit upon something there, so much of my compulsive gaming was just that, attempts to numb the seemingly never-ending depression I felt in my life, and give some sense of achievement or accomplishment to a life that I felt was going nowhere. I still do suffer from depression, but not nearly as often; it's generally connected to migraine and my CFS/ME. But I think so much of the depression in my life before, was because I felt like I had nothing BUT games; now I kind of feel like I have everything going for me in my life. So on the one hand there's "then why waste my time with games?" and on the other there's the whole thing about understanding the importance of play.

Definitely something to think on.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201446 by
*nods* For sure. Just be cautious about stopping a coping mechanism without replacing it. Sometimes, the raw emotion of depression faced head on can be crippling.

More
8 years 7 months ago #201457 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Wary of old habits - confused
I look for some useful purpose in it, focus on that (refine, exercise, etc whatever that is), switch over to only use it for that purpose and sooner or later, I tend to reach the end of its usefulness in that particular purpose. By that point I've managed to retask the activity in my behaviour to the extent it can be removed once its usefulness is exhausted. Then its existence can continue in memory as a good habit. At least that's how I nudge bad habits like this one out the door. Or in other words, explore, exploit and exhaust
:blink:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #201458 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Wary of old habits - confused
As a teenager I was probably addicted to world of warcraft.... I play games now (mostly on a console) but, I decide what time I'm gonna stop. Usually I'm playing in the evening, so I'll play for three hours and decide that I'll go to bed around half 11. Setting a boundary means I never end up at 5 am still playing games like I used to do.
Maybe you do play for nostalgia, but maybe you do still enjoy them, so if you still feel like you want to play... Don't rush out and buy them. Find out when they come out and set a date maybe 2 weeks later when you're allowed to buy it, then watch review videos maybe to make sure you do actually want to play. It'll give you time to sort out if you're buying out of habit, or out of actual interest.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201484 by
Video games are tough thing. Very rarely do I buy a new game. I just don't play enough to justify the expense of a new game. I'll be making an exception for Battlefront this November, but me and a bunch of my friends are going to buy it and play online together, something I also rarely do.

It is easy to fall into old habits and not easy to see them clearly. Do you do it just because you used to? Do you actually like it? To me the answer lies in the moment. Do I enjoy it while I do it? If yes, then I actually enjoy it. If not, then no. Feelings before and afterward can be misleading. Like watching the original Power Rangers. I tried not to long ago because I remember it being awesome. I knew it would be cheesy and bad but my memory of it was so good that I thought nostalgia alone might get me through it. It did not. I did not actually enjoy that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201493 by
I have also been a compulsive gambler and I have many friends who live video games.Previously he spent days without sleep, without seeing sunlight, without leaving my room. Over time this was going on. Everything in excess is bad, even things that we think are good; when I was a kid my mother taught me one thing; all we can draw a good lesson, so whenever I play video games or see a movie, I try to take something good, something to teach me and make me grow. Try to find a balance to all situations and always try to take a good lesson of all, you will realize that video games are more than just fun. I believe a good solution to eliminate bad habits and adopt other habits that are better and that you have fun at the same time, they make you happy. I changed a little bit of video games with a good book

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi