Comic

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #200498 by
Comic was created by
Hey there my fellow jedi! I'm insane and I am making my own comic and I am looking for someone to design the characters for me. I have the ideas for them but not the software so if anyone wants to help just leave a comment or message me and we can talk more.

May the force be with you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #200504 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Comic
Perhaps it would help to explain what kind of story you want to tell, the genre you're writing in, the art style you are interested in etc... so far you've been very broad.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Edan.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #200516 by
Replied by on topic Comic

Edan wrote: Perhaps it would help to explain what kind of story you want to tell, the genre you're writing in, the art style you are interested in etc... so far you've been very broad.

Sorry I will explain it a bit more. Its going to be a comic about myths and star wars put together and its going to be about like Cyclops's and jedi fighting for the power of the galaxy.

More
8 years 7 months ago #200530 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Re:Comic

insanebey wrote: I have the ideas for them but not the software

You don't have a pen and paper? ;P

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #200531 by
Replied by on topic Re:Comic

Kamizu wrote:

Well yeah but I'm making the comic on my laptop so I need them designed on a software

More
8 years 7 months ago #200532 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Re:Re:Comic

insanebey wrote:

Kamizu wrote:

Well yeah but I'm making the comic on my laptop so I need them designed on a software

So a scanner then? Or a camera? Lol I'm not saying you can't do a colab if you want but there are lots of ways to do this without specialty software :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #200886 by
Replied by on topic Re:Comic

insanebey wrote:

Kamizu wrote:

You can use gimp, its free, and it has all the bells and whistles photoshop has. It's not designed specifically for comics like for example manga studio, but you can draw comics in it without a problem. Although if you wan't to make digital drawings you would need a graphics tablet, which cost anywhere between 50 to like 1000 and more USD. Drawing with only a mouse is very hard and probably not worth the effort. Then depending on if you can draw or not, I would advise you to get some books about drawing, especially anatomy, and some specific books about drawing comics. You can look around the net and if you know where to look you can get a lot of books for free.
But as was suggested you can always draw on paper and have it scanned and then finish it on a computer.

If you just wan't to write it then you really need any kind of word editor, like open office etc. and just tweak it a little to make it easier to write a script, or use celtx which is free, it's mostly for writing scripts for a movie but it also has a template for graphic novel. Or a paid alternative to it, which I personally like for writing my movie scripts, fade in pro, but it costs around 50. And also you will need to google some guides for writing a comics script if you don't know already how to write it.

Then you write you'r script or at least have an outline ready and you can start finding some artist willing to draw it for you for free, which will probably be the hardest part of it:) Or draw it yourself. ALso for script writing paper and pen works pretty good too, at least for outlining its probably best to use yer olde sticky notes.

Sure you don't need to bother with proper formatting of the script and etc. if you're going to do it all alone, but I will highly recommend learning it, as it will be useful for you later on.

GIMP http://www.gimp.org/
Manga Studio http://my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-5.html it cost around $50, but if you are serious about making comics digitally then it's well worth the price. It was primarily designed for making manga, which is japanese comics, but it is good for making any type of comics you can think of.

CeltX https://www.celtx.com/index.html
Fade In Pro http://www.fadeinpro.com/ $49.95 as of now, it still in beta I think but you will get all future updates for free and compared to other screenwriting software it's pretty cheap. But I still recommend using CeltX unless you decide that writing scripts is for you:)

Hope that helps somewhat.

P.S.: There are many more programs for drawing, some free some not, so feel free to google them out and use whatever is best for you
P.P.S: Same goes for writing and screenwriting software, although screenwriting is a bit misleading here, because most of the software has templates for graphic novel scripts amongs others, which is quite useful for comics script also.

Edit: Some minor grammar bugs:)
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 7 months ago #200887 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Comic
I have manga studio complete with a tutorial, you definitely need a graphics tablet for it as drawing with a mouse in it is darn difficult...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #200889 by
Thank you so much ill look in to buying software and buying a graphics tablet

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #200892 by

insanebey wrote: Thank you so much ill look in to buying software and buying a graphics tablet

I would probably recommend this http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets/intuos-pen or a medium sized one if you have the money, but medium sized is around $200 which is probably a bit pricey.
Or you can look at Genius, they have slightly lower prices than Wacom. And are not that good but still decent.
I don't know other brands really but with Wacom or Genius you would be ok.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi