Doing Good Through Distributed Computing

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #199053 by
Anyone else out there involved in doing good through things like World Community Grid or that kind of thing? I used to be heavily involved in SETI@Home, but I wanted to do something that can make a real difference for people here on planet Earth. The PC I currently use was originally built to be an ultimate gaming rig, and now all that processing power has been going to waste - Intel CORE i7 8 core CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, and 24 gigabytes of RAM. It's a monster and I've been using it to browse and watch youtube videos for the most part.

Once I realized the potential that was being squandered I installed the BOINC manager and now it's mapping cancer markers, crunching numbers for the clean energy project, and looking for treatments for ebola.

If anyone else out there is involved with this, let me know, maybe we could team up. :cheer:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #199064 by
After looking over this last post I wanted to apologize, it sounds rather boastful. I was just excited to re-purpose what was for me a pretty selfish project that ended up not even serving its purpose into a force for good. It was not my intention to boast.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 7 months ago #199065 by Jestor
:lol:...

I didn't think it sounded boastful, I just don't know what you mean....:lol:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #199066 by

Jestor wrote: :lol:...

I didn't think it sounded boastful, I just don't know what you mean....:lol:

Basically your computer's unused computing cycles (and depending on what you're doing there can be a lot of them) can be re-purposed by crunching numbers in tandem with other volunteers to solve humanitarian problems. I'd signed up with World Community Grid: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/

More
8 years 7 months ago #199068 by Tellahane
I'll OUT BOAST YOU!

I actually have a Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHZ quad core
32gb RAM
2x 128gb ssd's
The same nvidia geforce 680

As far as gaming I've ran 2 eve online windows a planetside 2 window, minecraft server, minecraft client all at the same time at 42fps before.

But mostly its so I can run several instances of php storm, 20 or so tabs on a chrome browser, mail program, my security cam software(I wired my own house with camera's for home security), skype, steam, remote desktop into two servers I manage, and a netflix window across 5 monitors on my setup for when I'm working(and of course totjo chat we know that takes a lot of horsepower)

I ran seti@home for awhile before upgrading to this machine, the only other thing you can do with the horsepower if you wanted to use it was doing things like bitcoin, but you don't really have much control of what you do with it, and while it does bring in some money(not a ton), it heavily abuses your gpu and your graphics card for all that processing it does do.

I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head, but there was one other service out there that did something like seti@home but was specifically for doing other calculations like for science in general like helping do very complex math formula's and things for mapping dna genomes and physics predictions and other stuff that was like seti but I can't remember the name of it I just remember reading it in the news a couple months ago.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #199070 by
Might it be one of these projects ?
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #199081 by
Noble stuff. I'll be repurposing my Machines for this when they aren't being used for work. The wife and I are both IT professionals, and my machine is recording music as often as its being used for remote/server/development work.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #199086 by
Unfortunately I'm having to temporarily suspend it for now - the intensive CPU use is heating up my processor to worrying levels. I probably didn't do a thorough enough job coating my heat sink with thermal paste. There's a fun weekend project I suppose. :unsure:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #199087 by
I hate thermal paste...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #199192 by
This is cool, I'm going to download it now!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi