US Supreme Court Rules in Favour of Gay Marriage

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196049 by
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/26/417717613/supreme-court-rules-all-states-must-allow-same-sex-marriages?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150626

Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #196068 by Locksley
Halle-effing-lujah!! About damn time.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196071 by
This is a truly momentous day in American history. :cheer:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #196077 by
Even though marriage for all couples has been legal (in various forms) in my hometown since 2009, I didn't know whether to cheer or cry when I checked the news this morning... so I did a little of both. :) I'm very happy that loving and committed couples can now make the decision to marry across the country.

Congratulations to those couples in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas, whose relationships will soon be recognized as valid and authentic under U.S. law.

My husband and I were fortunate to be able to get married (legally and with all of the Federal benefits) in 2013. Our wedding day was a significant moment in our lives, but it was also special because it brought together friends and family in a way that wouldn't have been possible otherwise (and even helped mend some hurt feelings and misunderstandings).

From my perspective, this ruling is about more than a basic legal agreement. When we look at the bigger picture, it is about bringing people together. Not just gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people... this extends to our children, aunts, uncles, sisters, brothers, parents, grandparents, and cousins. It is a step toward healthier bonds within the American family, and more importantly, it strengthens the bonds that connect all of us as a global family.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196080 by
maybe this will become the land of the actually free!!

More
8 years 9 months ago #196083 by TheDude
Well, that's neat. I still believe that the government should have no say when it comes to marriage, and that whatever benefits currently available to married couples (straight or otherwise) should be handled in a different legal fashion. Taxes should be handled, in my opinion, on an individual basis regardless of marriage; and other benefits could easily be handled in the same way that a will is handled, through legal documents put together by a hired lawyer. Marriage should be legally allowed between any two consenting adults, of course, but beyond that I don't think it's the government's place to say anything about it or provide any benefits or detriments based on marital status. For example, one partner has the right to make medical decisions for the other; this could easily be handled through other means (as stated before) and those other means would allow for a trusted group of family or friends to come to a decision based on the situation rather than one person. This is already in place in some areas in the form of patient advocates. Ultimately, however, this decision in the supreme court is a good one in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196090 by
Congrats America! Only took you ten years. lmao

#lovewins #loveislove #aboutdamntime

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 9 months ago #196091 by ren

The Fourteenth Amendment, we'll remind you, was ratified shortly after the Civil War. It has to do with U.S. citizenship – and with providing equal protection for all citizens.

My argument in favour of gay marriage all along. Marriage is a government-controlled civil contract with pretty serious implications, defined by law. And that law is supposed to serve all citizens equally, and supply services to all equally. I've argued (with gay men, no less) against the distinction that gets made in some countries between marriage and gay marriage (civil partnership). Sure they tell you it's all supposed to be the same status and whatnot. But in reality you wouldn't tolerate white and nigger schools, or republicans sit at the front liberals at the back buses. So why do that for marriage?!

I wonder if in the EU, family-related treaty rights of citizens are respected in states which do not practice gay marriage? I *think* they're supposed to be, though I wonder how that actually works out?!

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 9 months ago #196105 by OB1Shinobi
i dont think marriage is good for anyone lol but this is excellent - equality is a yes
i worked the hrc campaign some time around 04 and have been waiting for this since
GOD BLESS AMERICA! :P

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196376 by
I'm generally an open-minded person. I don't have a problem with other people's beliefs or behaviors since they usually have no effect on me. That being said, the marriage equality issue in the US being settled by the supreme court is something I have a problem with. Why? The supreme court does not write law. They completely circumvented the people of this country. Don't get me wrong, people are free to do as they please in the US as long as it's legal. But having no say in something that happens here is mildly insulting and robs us of our right to vote.

Homosexuality does not affect me. To that I will admit. That's not what bothers me. It's when things are decided for me that I am bothered.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi