HEMA, what is it?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192575 by
HEMA, what is it? was created by
Given my return to the Temple after several months of hiatus, I would like to explain what has been taking up most of my time & effort during this period. As of last year, I discovered what is known as Historical European Martial Arts, or HEMA, which constitutes Medieval & Renaissance fighting styles being resurrected from old manuals & treatises into a coherent system of combat, just as advanced and sophisticated as any Eastern/Oriental fighting styles. To me, it represents a legacy of the history of the West in all of its combative splendour. However, it is definitely not just an academic venture. It requires intense physical training and studious practice to refine and experiment with different techniques, in order to arrive at the closest approximation to what was historically done.

The most fundamental aspect of HEMA, and what is called "the basis for all art with weapons," is what is known in German as Ringen, or Grappling. Unarmed grappling, supplemented with striking, was the primary form of combat in the Middle Ages through the Renaissance, and was brutal & highly sophisticated. However, the majority of HEMA revolves around the study and use of the longsword. After grappling, the Longsword represents the fundamental weapon of the Medieval era, and the use of all other melee weapons stems from its basic principles.

Two main traditions of Longsword combat existed in the High Middle Ages (approx. 1300-1500), the German School and the Italian School. While having most of the same fundamental techniques, guards, and cuts (albeit with different names), the two schools differ mainly in their mindset towards fencing in general. The German school, which I study, is primarily offensive in nature (while not necessarily aggressive), seeking to control the pace of the fight by taking the initiative, or Vor (before) in German, and forcing your opponent to react in the Nach (after). The Italian school generally emphasizes a stronger defense, by which to let your opponent open himself in the attack to a successive counter-attack.

Aside from Longsword combat, some of the other primary weapons studied in HEMA are the Spear, Sword & Buckler, Quarterstaff (known as the Bane of the Sword), Messer, Falchion, Dussack, Rapier, Greatsword, and Dagger.

This is simply my beginner's knowledge of HEMA, and any additional commentary would be much appreciated :)
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192578 by
Replied by on topic HEMA, what is it?
I'd like to know more. Got some links?

I was just reading up on William Fairbairn yesterday.

More
8 years 11 months ago #192583 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic HEMA, what is it?
That sounds so cool! I wish I had the spare time for something like that!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192585 by
Here's the primary source for HEMA material: http://wiktenauer.com

Also here is a website for one of the main HEMA organizations in the US, and although some of their interpretations are controversial they hava a lot of good material: http://www.thearma.org/

And here is a good youtube video for starting up in HEMA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3rHywjh1bQ&index=105&list=PLE6058E5F6967E5B8

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192586 by
I've always found European sword interesting, though I've been un-impressed with the local groups that practice them so I've never had the opportunity to learn much. I did have an interesting discussion once with an SCA group in Kansas (I think, I've travelled a lot) where they told me about a neck break from horse back where you gallop by your opponent similar to jousting and when you get close enough you reach out, grab the chin of their helmet and have your horse pivot on the spot (as some european war horses were very well trained for that sort of thing) and that motion caused you to twist their helmet, and consequently their entire head, all the way around.

Is it applicable? Who knows, but it certainly was interesting.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #192588 by
Well...the SCA is more of a LARPing group than actual Medieval combat, though some of their members practice with us occasionally. And yeah I guess it might work actually. To be honest I haven't done much mounted combat so others would probably be better to ask.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

More
8 years 11 months ago #192589 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Re:HEMA, what is it?
Goken, that is very applicable. I study historical jousting and medieval horsemanship. I even give classes on it. Horses are very nimble when they want to be.

Both my husband and I are active fighters in the SCA. We have a ton of fun.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192592 by
Here's a link to some treatises that feature Cavalry Fighting: http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Category:Mounted_Fencing

More
8 years 11 months ago #192596 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Re:HEMA, what is it?
I wouldn't call the SCA a larp group. Yes we do take on a persona of someone who could have lived but then we become walking encyclopedias about that time frame and the people we are trying to represent. My armor kit for my horse and I was 90lbs. That was historically accurate. I can share some pictures if folks would like. I'm still very active in the equestrian stuff, I am just not going to get into professional jousting anymore. I did do a clinic back in February here in the area on historical Knights. We had a great time. I had and have students from age 4 to 54.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192602 by

M Gray wrote: Well...the SCA is more of a LARPing group than actual Medieval combat...

Jedi_Roz wrote: I wouldn't call the SCA a larp group.

I've met a lot of SCA groups (like I said, I've travelled a lot) and I can say that some are very LARP like and some are very much not. Kind of like Jedi... ;)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi