Budweiser Pulls slogan accused of "Promoting Rape culture"

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #191380 by ren

Edan wrote: I kind of feel that now we are more sensitive, but to other people's lives. We're more accepting and appreciative of people's lives and their individual selves. It's born from understanding, I think. I don't personally think this is a negative thing. Perhaps the overreaction is not those who are objecting, but dismissing straight off those who do object. Just a thought.

those who dismiss straight off one thing (such as what an advertiser thinks to be a good idea) are no different from people who dismiss straight off another thing (such as people who dismiss advertisers).
I have of course my own reasons to dismiss those offended by the ad, having gone out a lot yet never witnessed anyone being forcibly made drunk with any beverage, or been to any place where drinking any particular kind of beverage is a legal requirement. I can only assume such a person (making the complaint about the ad), has gone through some kind of traumatic experience (forced to drink budweiser, raped
This message contains confidential information
? Something messed up), or a strange kind of education/brainwashing: things that I have not witnessed, or experienced, and therefore automatically dismiss as "some other thing other people do". I do however know people who work with or benefit in some other way from alcohol sales, people who would actually get hurt by this "some other thing other people do", giving them incentive to destroy the reputation of the offended , make threats, etc.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Adder.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #191409 by

Brenna wrote: Personally, I dont think it promotes or even references rape culture, though I can certainly understand why people might feel that way.

I do feel that its irresponsible in that it encourages the idea that you need to drink in order to have fun, be confident or have a good night. But then, all alcohol campaigns do that, and I dislike the "alcohol culture".

How right this young lady is. Of course if it offends anyone it must come down, though I do not think this is offending, but why intoxicate yourself to enjoy the night? So many problems are down to irresponsible drinking and I can vouch for this truly as it helped to destroy many lives because of a decision and anger that was fueled by alcohol, one which led to the darkest of places at the worst of times, so I beg you as my brothers and sisters to be careful if you wish to drink; the decisions of others can help to lead us down that dark road, put us in a place where you must defend those you love when drunk, defend yourself, and when intoxicated our ability to think clearly, as is our duty as Jedi, is taken away. You cannot say what you will do in this situation, for it is not just you making the decision, it is the alcohol too.

Please be careful when drinking. I could name at least 100 lives that have been ruined in my community alone from such decisions, and there are many more I do not know that suffer such a fate too. Let us not add to such a number, but help to take away from future tallys by being the responsible one, the one who can make a sober and logical decision to save suffering. We promise to help the communities we live in, then let us help to save our communities from further suffering that was never a choice in the innocence held as a child, the same innocence that allows us to see the wonder in the world is the same we must hold onto as we strive to prevent our world from becoming an even worse place for our children to grow. I have Uncles who would have happily struck an innocent family member over too much drink when I was younger, I do not wish my children to grow seeing such things and believing them to be the normal and right way.

I feel I have gone a little off discussion so will end there.

May the Force be with you always.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #191468 by

ren wrote:

Edan wrote: I kind of feel that now we are more sensitive, but to other people's lives. We're more accepting and appreciative of people's lives and their individual selves. It's born from understanding, I think. I don't personally think this is a negative thing. Perhaps the overreaction is not those who are objecting, but dismissing straight off those who do object. Just a thought.

those who dismiss straight off one thing (such as what an advertiser thinks to be a good idea) are no different from people who dismiss straight off another thing (such as people who dismiss advertisers).
I have of course my own reasons to dismiss those offended by the ad, having gone out a lot yet never witnessed anyone being forcibly made drunk with any beverage, or been to any place where drinking any particular kind of beverage is a legal requirement. I can only assume such a person (making the complaint about the ad), has gone through some kind of traumatic experience (forced to drink budweiser, raped? Something messed up), or a strange kind of education/brainwashing: things that I have not witnessed, or experienced, and therefore automatically dismiss as "some other thing other people do". I do however know people who work with or benefit in some other way from alcohol sales, people who would actually get hurt by this "some other thing other people do", giving them incentive to destroy the reputation of the offended , make threats, etc.

You don't have to directly experience or witness traumatic experiences in order for this ad to not necessarily offend, but make you deeply uncomfortable with the message it sends. I am going to share a personal story here in which I did not actually directly experience the type of traumatic event you describe, but makes me uncomfortable with the message this ad is sending due to one of the possible interpretations. When I first started my second bachelors degree in computer science I didn't have a computer capable of doing my homework at home so I had to finish my homework in the common lab area that acted as sort of a combination hangout and study room for all the computer science students. At the time I was 24 years old. One night I was there late trying to finish one of my assignments and there were two guys sitting across from me chatting with each other and ofc I could hear them. Then they started talking about how they were going to go out that night and get a girl drunk and rape her. There I was in the computer lab when it was so late that there was no one in the building, but me and those two guys. At that point I was pretty scared. I ended up making a pithy remark and getting the hell out of there as fast as I could. The pithy remark was a mistake in hindsight. Later I considered the fact that they might have been joking in which case the joke was NOT funny, but it really didn't sound like they were joking. The thing I regret most is I didn't know their names and I didn't stay long enough to be able to describe them physically thus there was no one I could even really report them too(Note even if it was a joke they broke the university code of conduct rules for our lab). If I had been 18 instead of 24 it might have been enough to make me consider whether I really wanted to continue in the department I was in either changing majors or transferring universities. As it was for a while I made sure not to work that late again in the lab when there were not many people there.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Adder.

More
8 years 10 months ago #191492 by rugadd
The things i think about are now when I read this thread are:

1. Do not be easily offended.
2. Do not seek to offend.
3. It is better to be uncomfortable then comfortable.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi