Tree of reflection

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #190299 by
Tree of reflection was created by
The Jedi Tree of reflection.

This may be a little unusual to post in the forum, but it's something that I thought I would share with everyone, just in case they felt it might be of benefit to them in their training and life.

Recently I took a piece of willow tree, rooted it in water, and have begun to train it to become a bonsai tree. As I was doing this, I realised just how many similarities our growth as Jedi has with this miniature trees.

Like the bonsai, we begin our training as uprooted cuttings, not really knowing what to expect, or which direction to take. But as our knowledge grows, we take root, and use this as a firm foundation to build upon. The principles used in Bonsai, such as slow patient growth, maturing and shaping through the pruning away of what we no longer need, were very reflective of our journey. But it doesn't stop there. The bonsai are fed and nurtured, much as we are taught knowledge and understanding. The trees change with the seasons, an expression of how we develop ourselves. Pruning of the branches strengthens the roots, which although initially are constrained, are over time, moved on to a larger pot. As with the bonsai trunk and branches, we shape ourselves into a better direction in our lives, slowly developing, growing, and sending out new shoots of our own. Although some see the initial wiring of bonsai branches as unacceptable, I look at it as a guide, leading the branch, and us on to the right path, much as a teacher might guide us in our training.

I have chosen to make my willow cutting, into my 'Jedi reflection' tree, a reminder to myself of the beauty of nature, to be patient and grow slowly, trying to absorb everything along the way, as well as shaping it to mimic how I myself am re moulding myself into a better person through training. This tree, is a small living legacy of my journey, and if cared for as we should care for ourselves, should long outlive me to hopefully be handed to another.

I'm not sure if anyone else would like to have their own 'Jedi' tree, but if anyone does I please message me and I would be glad to help in any way that I can. It's also a great way to form a relationship with a small piece of nature, one that you can take with you, wherever your journey leads you.

May the force be with you all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #190318 by
Replied by on topic Tree of reflection
So you just stuck a stick in a glass of water to start?

Willows are just leafing out right now.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #190357 by
That's a nice analogy. I like it a lot. :)

I was bought a bonsai kit as a little present for my birthday a couple of months ago, so I have been growing that from the seed. I'm finding it's doing wonders for my patience, as well as giving me time to be mindful and to reflect upon my dedication to watch it grow. I'll definitely take your points on board to think about when I'm tending mine.

Developing slowly, in my opinion, is much more long-lasting than trying to cram everything into your head at once. I've tried that before and it never works! It's never as worthwhile an experience, either.

Anyway, I hope your bonsai growing continues to go well, that you continue to reflect upon the process, and that you develop a great bond with it. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #190415 by
Very cool

http://www.bonsaioutlet.com/japanese-weeping-willow-care/

I going to do three.

Thanks

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #190418 by
Rob that is a very beautiful writing . . . .

I have four plants . . . 3 orchids and a jade . . . I do experience them as reflections.
They were all given to me when someone was moving.

I have done no research on them . . I ask them/myself . . what do you need?
The answers come. I trust the Force.

One orchid recently gave 2 purple flowers which stayed nearly 3 months.

Reflections!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #190419 by
I talk to my plants, they um, don't talk back to me? :) :laugh: ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #190504 by
Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts. For any one wanted to start a willow growing, it really is just taking a twig from the tip of a branch, putting it in a jar of water, should root within a week maybe two. Very quick to grow. Good luck

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #190508 by
Think I might do that and use it as my daily que from the daily hustle and bustle to make time to tend and meditate. Could even be the centerpiece of a prayer shrine. Thanks again. :cheer:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #191623 by

Rickie wrote: So you just stuck a stick in a glass of water to start?

Willows are just leafing out right now.

My sticks are making roots right on my desk!!! :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi