Mayweather vs Paquiao

More
8 years 11 months ago #190543 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao

Alexandre Orion wrote: When I first saw this thread come up in the forum, I thought it was going to be about some interesting, yet controversial, court case ...

:unsure:

It's about a bloody boxing match ?

:blink:

I really do need to come back to live on Earth, I suppose ... :whistle:

lol there was a PACMAN vs PONG thread a while back and i thought it was about boxing :-D (one of paquiao's nicknames is "the pac man")

sorry
but if do i run across any interesting or controversial court decisions i will share the post haste!

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190547 by
Replied by on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
Mayweather wins a unanimous decision. Judges turn in scores of 118-110, 116-112 and 116-112.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190612 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
I'm not usually remotely interested in boxing. I've never been able to understand the appeal in watching two men hit each other in the head to the point of unconsciousness...it seems rather out of place (barbaric, even) in this day and age.

But, yesterday, I was channel-hopping late in the evening, and I happened upon the feature-length documentary 'Manny' (narrated by Liam Neeson (Qui Gon Jinn), released Jan 2015) and it was really pretty fascinating.

I rather suspect that it glossed over many of his less 'ethical' behaviors and made him out to be more of a saint that he perhaps actually is, but nevertheless, it really helped me to connect with the idea that there is always more to something (i.e. boxing) than necessarily meets the eye.

People tell me that football (soccer) is an overrated game played by overpaid primadonnas and, as an avid football fan, I tell them that that the reason I like it is because it's about the stories that are woven over time. It's about the human experiences of winning and losing, of joy and despair, of living in the moment, of overcoming hardship and struggles to achieve feats that inspire people around the world...

Which is all very well, but I can be quite selective sometimes. I've never really stopped to think that that the same applies to those sports that I personally don't like or don't agree with. But the documentary was...really rather moving. It showed exactly all these things and suddenly forced me to adjust my perception of boxers...

I'm really glad that I watched it, because Manny Pacquiao's story has really made quite an impact on me. It's well worth watching, if anyone wants to get hold of it. It doesn't seem to be available for free on YouTube, I'm afraid, but here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqi_DVcSMPY

So, now I need to watch a similar film about Mayweather, because my impression of him is really...not very good at all.

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, OB1Shinobi

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 11 months ago #190620 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
manny actually is a really good guy....that's the main source of his appeal to everyone....he achieved so much without succumbing to the hazards of fame and money....

and he got robbed......he was fighting with a bum shoulder and no anti inflammatory....but he didn't whine or gripe about it afterwards....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 11 months ago #190623 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
I reckon they need to KO to win, and if no-one falls then a 40/60 split of what would have been the winners take on the prize money pool is distributed as per points awarded by judges. You might find a few more fights going harder, as the way it is now with these things both fella's think they are up on points (because they are being pumped up from the sidelines and focusing on good hits) so they both settle into a defensive rhythm to survive and take the win on points as it gets closer to the end - when in the second half they need to be digging deeper to get the KO.
IMO, but yea it seems like a silly sport to smash each other in the head :S

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190629 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
V-Tog, your post was fantastic to read, thank you :-)

good luck finding a docu that makes you see floyd in the the same kind of light lol

manny is awesome

i hadnt heard that about his shoulder :-/

still, im ok with the results - in the long run mayweather needed the win more

his story is amazing in a different (but epic) way

he had 84 - 6 as an amateur (84 wins)

his first pro fight was in 1996 and hes fought almost fifty times without taking a loss!

his whole career is a win streak!

A TWENTY FIVE YEAR WIN STREAK!

its amazing
hes one of the greatest athletes to ever live - really

how many fighters are still fresh after 130 fights?

i admire paquiao as a man, hes someone i would like for my life to emulate in my own way if at all possible

but mayweather is making history and i cant fault him at all

imo all sports are combat sports, they just dont all realize it.

at heart, every competition is a fight

sometimes even fighters forget theyre there to fight though and thats a shame

its not fun to see floyd (or anyone else) just eek out a win by doing only enough

but obviously its a smart career strategy

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago #190630 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Mayweather vs Paquiao
Here's how I saw the fight.
Pacman obviously wasn't at his best and hearing about his shoulder makes sense. There were many openings he could have taken but failed to take advantage of. Still, most of his punches seemed effective and I am certain that if it were a bareknuckle match, Mayweather would have been knocked out by round 5. Very few of Floyd's hits actually seemed to make any difference, and any damage done to Manny was superficial. For a good portion of the fight, Mayweather was backed against the ropes. Some people say that's where he wanted to be, but honestly, Mayweather would have more options away from the ropes and did nothing but retreat and take punishment while backed into a corner. So, either Mayweather had an awful strategy or he was outclassed.
Mayweather's "guillotine clinch" should be illegal and is an awfully dirty move, not one that a respected boxer should apply. He should have been deducted points because of it and certainly should have lost more rounds because of it. If any of the undercard fighters would have done that, I'm certain they would have lost points. For Manny to lose to points and for this not to go to knockout is a shame, a real shame. I think Mayweather is a dirty fighter and I think Manny was robbed of victory. But, it's in the past, I'm down $10, and that's that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago #190670 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:Mayweather vs Paquiao
Saw this today..... http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2015/05/rigged-proof-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-scorecard-might-prove-a-rigged-outcome-2612968.html

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi