Where does our talents come from?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189846 by
Replied by on topic Where does our talents come from?
'

Xhaiden wrote: I respectfully disagree there is no such thing as natural talent. I am a musician and teach students in grades 5-12 in instrumental music and have been doing so for the past 12 years or so. You can find them all over Youtube but there are plenty of videos within the music world where a child with no training or no training beyond the basics starts playing compositions way above their knowledge or ability level. I have met a few kids, some are autistic and others are not and they have had very little background and have not put in much time at all and can just do it. It is quite amazing to see in person. In regards to my own playing, I am a trumpet player mainly, I have had to work my tail off to get to the level I am at and I have to keep at it or else I take quite a few steps backwards.

How do I explain some of these more natural abilities, I believe when someone passes on back into the Force their energy obviously goes with it. When a new life is created some of that energy becomes part of the new life. If someone was a amazing pianist and passes on and part of that energy goes into a new life then those abilities to a certain extent go with it. Again, this is a very straight forward explanation and pretty simplistic on many levels and also just my own beliefs about how some pieces of the Force works. B)

I wouldn't count a mental condition as "natural talent". In the autistic and savants there's a clear cause. Yes, everyone's brain works differently, even the sexes lean towards being good at one thing or the other. It's just that you do have to nurture this talent for there to be a true understanding of a skill. It takes time.

There are also limited fields where prodigies exist. Music, chess, a few others.

Whether talent exists or not is a moot point. You would have no control over it either way. I've always loved the quote:

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

We have to work with what we have been given to better ourselves.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #189849 by Xhaiden
I wasn't specifically relating it to natural talent, mainly stating that some were autistic which brings in other factors but I have met some that were not. I absolutely agree there is a difference between a talent and a skill but I do believe that natural talent exists. I was only addressing the question of natural talent. Combine natural talent with the time put in on the skill and that is when you get some amazing results. I still see a difference, my area is music so I speak to that mainly, but someone that is born with natural talent and then works hard at it is in another league from those that just work very hard at that skill. I am a very good trumpet player because I have worked hard at it but I know a few professionals that pretty much picked up the trumpet and had that natural talent and worked on developing that talent as much as I did, blow me out of the water..lol.

I definitely agree with the difference between natural talent and skill but combine them together and you will get someone that will be at the forefront. Basically I am coming back to as there is a such thing as natural talent but as you said it will only get you so far with no additional work. I know I'm repeating myself a bit, will come back to this tomorrow after a nights rest..lol.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #189882 by
I think it's likely we are born with our talents. Whether you believe in God and/or reincarnation, I feel we are pre-programmed with out abilities, and that throughout life we simply discover them.

My reasoning is based on my own experiences. Until I was about 15 years old, I have never painted a single picture in my life. Then, one day, after looking through the book The Illustrated Star Wars Universe, I decided to try my hand at painting. This was the picture I decided to copy: Hoth This was my version: My Hoth

I had no training, no instruction, no advice. I just discovered that I could paint. I was born with this. It was my destiny. I realize that's a touchy subject, but when asked where our talents come from, I can only say that sometimes we are born with them.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #189897 by
I very much believe in natural talent.

I have a friend who is naturally talented at languages. He's fluent in three, speaks some of two or three others, and is currently teaching himself another. He started about two weeks ago and could probably test out of at least basic college courses for it. I know those are very basic, but he's only been at it for two weeks.

I've also seen it repeatedly in martial arts. People who I've trained with for years that just don't seem to get any better, then someone comes in who has no background or prior training that can school them after only a few months.

I have a natural talent for test taking. It's a pretty safe bet that on a multiple choice test I'll get a better than average grade (typically at least an 80%) in a subject that I know nothing about. I'll usually do it pretty quickly too. I can't explain it, I just can do it.

I even have a friend that is natually talented at video games. He's not a pro gamer or anything, but I have several times tried to "trick" him into playing me at a game that he's never played and I've put in hours of practice and he destroys me. I have since made it my mission to only do co-op games with him. Make his talent work for me. :laugh:

Obviously in all of those examples practice will add to talent, but I do believe that a person can be naturally gifted at things and have things that they are naturally very bad at. It's part of what makes us unique. B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #189898 by
I also believe in Natural Talent. Natural Talent however does not equal "Perfect" and "Flawless" Talent. Just that the ability comes naturally to the person in question. Yes, you still have to work on advancing this natural talent. Yes, you still have to practice and train it to become better....but its naturally who you are and something that comes quickly and with minimal effort. I also beleive these natural talents can "Activate" if you will...at different stages in your life.

I was your everyday normal child with my scribbly art that made my parents have to pretend guess at what the heck it was I drew. But when I reached maturity and my ability to control my actions better kicked in. So to did my ability to do art. I still remember the day....Sitting around with a bunch of friends thinking I was going to have the worst drawing there only for a beautiful illustration of a horse to pop out of the pages. No training, no classes, no work. Just one day I knew how to naturally bring images out with pencil and paper. Not perfect, not professional...I have to work at that....but its something I can naturally do.

More
8 years 11 months ago #189940 by Kit
I see what you all are getting at now. I think I'm bitter when I put months of effort to churn out my first project at a new craft and people say "Oh, you just have natural talent." like the work I put into it or the years of practicing other crafts didn't have anything to do with the final product at all.

I withdraw my previous statement. There is natural talent it just needs work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 11 months ago #189953 by Locksley
Opinions on the concept of talent are just that: opinions. Science is interested in the same topic however, and in recent years has been slowly understanding better what creates talent. This Guardian article is a nice read on the topic. I was especially drawn to this quote:

"But what is talent? Psychologist Dean Keith Simonton argues that talent is best thought of as any package of personal characteristics that accelerates the acquisition of expertise, or enhances performance given a certain amount of expertise."

Here is the full thing:

Warning: Spoiler!

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #190016 by

Locksley wrote: Opinions on the concept of talent are just that: opinions. Science is interested in the same topic however, and in recent years has been slowly understanding better what creates talent. This Guardian article is a nice read on the topic. I was especially drawn to this quote:

"But what is talent? Psychologist Dean Keith Simonton argues that talent is best thought of as any package of personal characteristics that accelerates the acquisition of expertise, or enhances performance given a certain amount of expertise."

Here is the full thing:

Warning: Spoiler!

This is great, and it eventually sums up most of the views expressed here.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi