Line between comedy and racism?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189514 by
Replied by on topic Line between comedy and racism?
I think Adam Sandler has been around for some time now.

His method of comedy is well known.

Indians working on a Adam Sandler movie, one which again, they are obviously informed on, kinda makes me less than sympathetic to any sort of offense one may have.

It has nothing to do with ego, or his viewpoints

Comedians often make jokes out of things that arent there viewpoints.

You though, have, and then have offered an ultimatum of sorts, and so who is then the one who is caught up in there viewpoints?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTuT7D8VnMo
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189515 by

More
8 years 11 months ago #189523 by Locksley
“But when a wrong, no matter how flagrant, has continued for a long period of time, people get habituated to it, and it becomes difficult to rouse them to a sense of their duty to resist it, and no less difficult to convince the world that it is a wrong at all.”
— Gandhi

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, J_Roz, Edan,

More
8 years 11 months ago #189551 by OB1Shinobi
i usually say "dont be offended" and i still stand by that
but
i belive adam sandler is being an ass
and i KNOW its possible to be funny without being DELIBERATELY insulting

some things are really funny and it just happens that they can be taken as insulting

but some things are essentially insulting, and every now and again they just happen to be packaged in a way that might be funny

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189555 by
I'm probably not the best person to ask this to as my buddies and I at work often try to come up with the worst "cut-downs" we can think of to "burn" one another. Childish, yes. But we laugh uproariously and get a huge kick out of our own cleverness. This is all in a jokesy, goofy environment as there really is no harm meant by our comments to each other: we just try to get a reaction and then laugh at ourselves.

When someone is seriously trying to insult me (which has happened you'll be shocked to know), I don't hang around them. I don't choose to associate with them. I don't get angry with them, i just walk away to do my own thing.

It's kind of how I feel about this question about comedy and racism: if you don't like it, by all means don't support it and use your Force-given rights to preach and campaign against it. I encourage it if that is your passion! :)

But don't tell me I should be offended by it, too. I'll choose what I want to be offended by :)

More
8 years 11 months ago #189556 by steamboat28
Comedy is comedy. Racism is racism. The line is subjective, and which side of it you stand on usually depends on how willing you are to be offended.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189564 by
I'd be interested in examining why comedy writers feel the need to add satire based on race in the first place. What is the goal of it? Some people believe that making light of serious situations shows that people can laugh at themselves and others.

There is something to be said for having a certain reverence for a culture that is different from your own. You can debate the context of the joke ad infinitum but from the article it sounds like half of the disagreement came from sloppy, inaccurate set designs and names.

At least the movie is making some strides by bringing in cultural experts and appropriately responding to the concerns of their Native American actors.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi