The negatives of "life hacks"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #189024 by
Stop Hacking Your Life

I came across this today and found it extremely interesting. Specifically, about two thirds of the way down in began discussing two different types of time: chronos and kairos. Both are greek words I believe. The idea that chronos is simply the time on the clock and kairos is feeling time. Really it's hard to explain, the article does it better.

Also, please ignore the apparent sexism of the name of the site that the article is on, the content of the individual articles is usually gender neutral as everyone can benefit from them. I think it's supposed to be slightly ironic, or at least that's how I take it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #189025 by steamboat28

Goken wrote: Also, please ignore the apparent sexism of the name of the site that the article is on, the content of the individual articles is usually gender neutral as everyone can benefit from them. I think it's supposed to be slightly ironic, or at least that's how I take it.

The Art of Manliness isn't sexist or ironic. It is exactly as it says. Its mission is to bring men back into actual manliness, not traditional false chivalry and not this 40-year-old-in-football-jersey-and-sagging-pants nonsense we've had lately.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
8 years 11 months ago #189043 by Brenna

Goken wrote:
Also, please ignore the apparent sexism of the name of the site that the article is on, the content of the individual articles is usually gender neutral as everyone can benefit from them. I think it's supposed to be slightly ironic, or at least that's how I take it.

Why on earth would that be sexist?

I really like this article! Like, A LOT. One of the main reasons that people seek the help of a coach is because they are struggling to fit everything into their lives and feel "time poor", hacks make sense if you look at things just on the surface, but more often than not, I find that people are genuinely doing too much, for reasons that they have not fully explored, and honestly, often doesn't even make them happy or add anything to the quality of their lives.

Less hacking, more discerning use of time and resources.

Not only that but as the article points out, the "mindset" is part of the instantaneous gratification thing. A little like buying cheap parts for your car. Will get it up and running, but will cause you bigger problems down the line.

"effective but inelegant solution” Yup

Makes me wonder, as a person, as a Jedi, where am I applying inelegant solutions....

Thanks for sharing!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
8 years 11 months ago #189057 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The negatives of "life hacks"
Gender binary alert, possible social construct detected; save, delete or.... hack!? :huh:

Good reflection of 'Focus'. I will need to read again as I am a bit of an efficiency nut myself, thanks. The big risk talked about perhaps is people becoming sheep/drones? The brain seems to work better when it discovering and wondering about how things work. I'd say a 'hack' requires those, but once it doesn't it becomes more of a shortcut or bandaid, which yes I agree, a bandaid is not a good solution for a broken leg.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
8 years 11 months ago #189076 by steamboat28

Brenna wrote: Makes me wonder,...as a Jedi, where am I applying inelegant solutions....

"...an elegant solution, for a more civilized time."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #189084 by
Replied by on topic The negatives of "life hacks"
Great article. Thanks for sharing it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #189096 by
Replied by on topic The negatives of "life hacks"

Goken wrote: Stop Hacking Your Life

I came across this today and found it extremely interesting. Specifically, about two thirds of the way down in began discussing two different types of time: chronos and kairos. Both are greek words I believe. The idea that chronos is simply the time on the clock and kairos is feeling time. Really it's hard to explain, the article does it better.

Thanks for highlighting chronos and kairos. I researched Kairos . . . It is the event that seemingly happens out of the blue. . .positive or negative . . .the unexpected call from a friend you haven't heard from in a long time or finding out you have cancer.

The article for me points to abstract/creative mind & analytical/reasoning mind.
In no specific context . . . except that the distribution within one may be change throughout a lifetime.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi