Mars One

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #186402 by
Mars One was created by
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not but I am certain that most of you have heard of this venture by now. For those of you that haven't, Mars One is a one way trip to mars. A mission planned to colonize Mars and establish a lasting settlement there.

Tell me, what are your thoughts about this mission? Should we spend more time focusing our efforts on saving and restoring our mother Earth? Is Earth beyond saving? Do you think mankind is ready to spread out into the stars?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 11 months ago #186403 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Mars One
i posted an article about this on the wall a couple weeks ago...

exploration is part of our nature...we need to do both...if' we're going to continue developing ways to enable more people to live longer then we're going to need the space...one planet can only handle keeping so many people alive....we also need to find better more efficient ways to keep our current planet alive and thriving...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: a67, Tarran

More
8 years 11 months ago #186404 by a67
Replied by a67 on topic Mars One
We are going to revive Mars finally!

Yeah it's a excellent idea. B)
Mother Earth had suffer a lot already and she are going to be heal.

We are not going far.. The same binary star of our constellation.
. Only a timespace a little bit on the future from our perspectives.
There are so many good things to go on Mars.
I am sure this planet have a lot of secret to reveal.

I am not going to elaborate on all the good things.
Life goal it's to spread and thrive like Ryujin said.
So when Mars get completely healed, maybe we go make a Jedi Temple there. :woohoo:

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #186424 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Mars One
for the species to survive we're going to have to leave earth eventually

if an asteroid doesnt sink our battleship then the sun will eventually cook our goose

colonization is mandatory, preferably not just multiple planets but multiple solar systems

until we are a multi system species we will always be one step away from extinction

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #186490 by Nicole Judge
Replied by Nicole Judge on topic Mars One
I've read an article where a NASA worker said that actually many difficulties arise in relation with this Mars One programm. Or rather details that are not taken into account, and also, the selection process of the applicants is... well, unfair. Here are the links I'm referring to:
https://medium.com/matter/all-dressed-up-for-mars-and-nowhere-to-go-7e76df527ca0
https://medium.com/matter/mars-one-insider-quits-dangerously-flawed-project-2dfef95217d3

From the money that this project requires, we could easily reformize the factories make them use renewable resources. Thus stopping - or at least slowing significantly global warming, the usage of nonrenewable resources - if I know well, the oil and gas resources will run out in less than 100 years, somewhere I even read an estimation of 50 years. We should focus on this planet, if this was what we 'recieved'. Moreover, Mars is a dead sphere, come on... I don't know how they are planning to make agriculture there, but that's for sure that the seeds and plants will be taken from the Earth. And, if the condidtions of Mars cannot be solved, than further supplies will have to be taken from the Earth. And, if the Earth gets uninhabitable because of the floods caused be global warming, there will be no available resources to take to Mars -> mass extinction. In my opinion, living on another planet isn't a bad idea, but first we should stabilize the situation here, and only then focus on those less important matters.

~ may the Force guide us ~
the root source of suffering is an ignorance of ourselves

Teaching Masters: V-Tog, tzb, Darren
Apprentices: yet to come...
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Nicole Judge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #186497 by
Replied by on topic Mars One
Unfortunately, the Mars One mission doesn't seem to be very likely with many of the current revelations..

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-03-29/one-way-ticket-mars-you-were-hoping-may-not-be-such-good-idea

The Mars One team have a lot of elaborate ideas, but the lack of testable systems/equipment (not to mention their new lack of funding - the station responsible for the reality television show has backed out), makes me skeptical that we're going to successfully colonize Mars anytime within 20 or so years.

It's a wonderful idea, but we don't yet have the technology immediately available for such a mission. There are many factors that the Mars One crew seem to have overlooked; things that would have them dying within a few of days. If the human race is going to do this, we need to do it right.

More
8 years 11 months ago #186566 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Mars One
We've all heard of paleo diets, but these folk might need to do the paleo lifestyle ie. find a good place to build a complex of cave's which all open downwind of prevailing systems, with good access to suitable ground for solar array's, and spend their time in the caves only really coming out to find and collect resupply drops. I'm not sure what they'd do there. Perhaps try and build more caves doing more research as they go. I think the concept of erecting human made habitat structures in the open is a short sighted dream doomed to fail.

If they find a suitable atmosphere is heavier then local atmospheres they can build the tunnel's downwards, or if lighter then can build them upwards - as this should help create micro-environments inside the cave system which should be more resilient then 'bubbles' sitting in the open only kept intact by the structures skin and airlocks.

I guess they'd eventually become their own people if they procreate there, effectively becoming Martian's.... but it is probably safer to require the mindset of no-return else people would likely work themselves into a frenzy about wanting to go home. It's an interesting project, probably a good time to start planning but I agree I'm not sure humanity is ready right now.... I'd love to work on something like that but maybe let others go
:whistle:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: a67

More
8 years 11 months ago #186567 by a67
Replied by a67 on topic Mars One
It's easy to say, first we need to focus on Earth problem.
Wich are the problems our planet are suffering?
There a lot of things we don't know about the space.
I don't think it's going to be a failure unless we begin a war on space.
If we focus to the sucess instead of failure we can move mountain.
Can we change the problems on Earth or do we really want?
Who don't want the current state change?
I am not pointing on anyone.
I am just sure things can change easily in 10 years.
Unfortunately, we are not aware of all the technologies we have now.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/life-mars-curiosity-rovers-readings-revive-methane-mystery-n269311

http://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/8832/what-would-be-best-way-to-re-melt-mars-mantle-and-core-to-revive-its-magnetosph

http://www.mars-one.com/mission/risks-and-challenges

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/mars-one-success-or-failure-what-matters-technology-innovation-public-interest/47616/

Just like that.
Life is a one way trip too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #186619 by
Replied by on topic Mars One
I think it's great we'll be going to Mars. I know there's debate about whether we should be spending those billions of dollars on that or other problems here on Earth, but I think we humans are natural explorers. So I embrace it. I can't wait :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi