The World

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 weeks ago #186160 by
The World was created by
I belive in the jedi ways since i was a kid, since i saw star wars movies. Since there i wanted to become a jedi, of course not with powers but a society that defends peace and justice in the world.
Today i wonder, how humanity have come to this point? We have so many corruption, so many deaths, so many pain and suffering, what can we jedi do? What can we do if co-pilots kill 150 people cause didnt want to live anymore?!
Can we create such organization that can bring order to this chaos? Can Men be saved?
Even its not we jedi who stop this madness, can anyone create something like a jedi order, something to end this?

This is just a thought....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #186163 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic The World
my response is that there is no way to save or change the world at all

the world is going to be whatever it is going to be

what you can do is choose who YOU want to be.

what are you going to do with YOUR life?

the vision that you follow will be the foundation for the gifts that you are able to give

what do you want to give to the world?

it starts with your vision for what you want yourself to be

your character is the foundation of your personal vision

if you develop an excellent character then you will give an excellent gift

if you develop a poor character then you will give a poor gift

it really is just as simple and as difficult as that

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186167 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic The World
Hmm, I beg to differ, I'm afraid. The notion that our choices need ultimately only be concerned with ourselves seems both egotistical and solipsistic. There is a case to be made for worrying about and consequently working for the world around us and the people who inhabit it. While, indeed, it may ultimately be a choice of what one personally does (setting aside questions of free will at this time), and while the choices we make are reflective of and inflictive upon our individual character, one must never forget that none of us live in a bubble and what we do has an effect on things around us and it is in our interest to do the best we can both for our own benefit and that of others.

To comment on the original post, in any case, I'd like to just point out that people have been asking how awful the world has become eversince they began thinking and stopped dying before getting out of puberty. As it were, the world did not become worse with you becoming older. Rather, more information is coming in now and you became mature enough to process it. The world seems serious to you because you have aged and become more serious yourself.
I'd postulate that now, with that aging, time has come to put childish things aside also. An order of warrior monks to save mankind from the evil that consumes them? Please...

It is also worth noting that despite your growing more serious over the years, the world has actually become a better place in the mean time in almost every regard. That is not to say there is no room for improvement - of course there is! - but it didn't grow worse and is not on a slope down into anything worse still. If anything, the opposite is the case.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #186168 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic The World
if you develop an excellent character you will give an excellent gift

if you develop a poor character you will give a poor gift

it is as simple and as difficult as that

the only thing i would add is that there is the obvious exception with things like discoveries or inventions or certai types of achievements

but for most people, the influence we have on the world will be a direct consequence of our character

running around "saving the world" without developing character is the most egotistical thing a person can do

its based on the assumption that they are qualified to even recognise the real problems of the world much less to actually do something about them

such people invariable demand conformity to their solutions of a type that serve to exacerbate the problem or at best trade it for another

whereas character results in the humility needed to rethink ones assumptions on a regular basis

and to change ones ideas and behavior when it is apparent that such change is appropriate

character is the trait which gives us the perspective to realize that such change can be appropriate; without it we would almost never question that we are right even when our behavior doesnt get the results we want

it also leads one to treating other people with respect - much more than does the crusade to "save" the world -

which, without character, really means to change it to meet ones personal expectations and standards, which is not only arrogant and impossible, but often destructive

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 weeks ago #186245 by
Replied by on topic The World
I agree with both anwsers, but i feel we could change something, i dream with a place without corruption with justice...
Its difficult today to make good choices, yes the world is alot better than it was thousand years ago or even hundred years ago, but we have much to learn yet.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 weeks ago #186329 by
Replied by on topic Re:The World
A single person can start a movement and thus make a huge impact on society. History proves this with such examples Bruce Lee, Adolf Hitler and Socrates. The stubbornness of man to change is but one of many hurdles. You must also consider antagonists. Those that would try to discredit the movement and tear it down without rhyme or reason. As Michael Cain said in The Dark Knight, "some men just want to watch the world burn".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 weeks ago #186330 by
Replied by on topic Re:The World
Also, to touch on something Vraell said about justice, we need a new system for punishing criminals. I don't know if any of you have noticed or experienced this but the justice system is amazingly inadequate. Releasing criminals that aren't properly rehabilitated and therefore are at risk to reoffend is redundant.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186331 by a67
Replied by a67 on topic The World
We need to see the difference between equality and justice.

https://fatpastor.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/equality-justice.jpg

We jedi are not absolute in the term to judge.
Everybody have the right to live the kind of life they
want and deserve in harmony with the world.

We are more aware than the rest of the world of a lot of things.
I am going to finish a little study on the absolutism because
I sense it's a weak spot of a evil empire.

The free will and civil rights are important and even on ennemies.
No good person force their views on others without giving to them the choice.

Anyway, who is the strongest?
The one who give the choices or the one who have the choice?
:laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186344 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Re:The World

Krieger wrote: A single person can start a movement and thus make a huge impact on society. History proves this with such examples Bruce Lee, Adolf Hitler and Socrates.

Two of these did not start a movement and the third is not a historical figure. The only one of these who can be marginally said to have defined a movement also didn't get to overcome the stubbornness hurdle. If anything, he came to utilize it, escalating a movement of obstinate and inflexible conviction on the one side, and desperate and tired longing on the other, that had been brewing on in the theater centuries before his coming on stage.

... we need a new system for punishing criminals.

No, we don't. We don't need a system for punishing criminals in the first place. First, because punishment is an exercise in essentially revenge. It is a waste of our resources to put them into a mechanism of retribution. Instead we should be concerned with the safety of the rest of the population and the integration of trespassers into roles that are beneficial to themselves and society at large. Punishment should not be a concern for it is unnecessary and thus wasteful.
But, more importantly, and necessarily prior, we need a new system for defining what a criminal is. Someone who has done what is of no harm to anything or anyone including themselves and perhaps actually something that does good to himself or others should no longer be classified as a criminal. That is not to say that we should redefine the word to something that doesn't involve law transgression but rather that we should change the law to where it does no longer make criminals out of those who are no threat to anyone or anything. In the same spirit, people who may through negligence or a mistake have let themselves or others come to harm cannot be immediately locked away unless it can be reasonably shown that they are for this reason a noteworthy threat to the well-being of people or integrity of property.
Conversely, as you went on to say, people who are less than mostly harmless should not be let loose on the population unchecked and people who are actively and deliberately damaging the lives of others should likewise not be able to do so within the bounds of the law any longer.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 weeks ago #186360 by
Replied by on topic The World
It is easy to become pessimistic about the world given the amount of information we are bombarded with every day. We see so many images and hear so many stories every day that it can be overwhelming. What you must remember, as I believe Gisteron is pointing out, is that these things have been going on since the dawn of civilization. We are not anymore "good" or "evil" than we have ever been. We are simply more aware of what is happening around us. In the past, we could live our entire lives and never know that a volcanic eruption killed thousands of people on the other side of the planet. Today, we hear about a plane crash that kills hundreds within minutes of it happening. While an event like this is upsetting, it also illustrates that we have developed the ability to fly around the globe, transmit information via satellite nearly instantly, and respond to tragedies like this with better emergency services and medical expertise. The world is a better place than it has ever been every single day, if you choose to see it this way.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi