What it's like to teach evolution at the University of Kentucky

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #186070 by Cyan Sarden
http://boingboing.net/2015/03/28/what-its-like-to-teach-evolu.html

"Krupa's essay on his decades of experience with these students talks about three groups: students who believe in evolution but have never studied it in detail because the conflict-averse teachers they've had until then have avoided the subject; students whose religious beliefs are so firmly seated that they won't listen to his arguments, and students who are in the middle, minds open, but unconvinced either way. He says that it's this last group he tries hardest to reach, but one of his most inspiring triumphs comes from the second group, a fervent evangelical who was infuriated by Krupa's patient teaching, but found the rebuttals offered by his evangelical teachers so unconvincing that he threw over his belief in Biblical creation and became an MD."

I found this to be an interesting (albeit partly anecdotal) read. Having grown up in Europe, I was about 25 when I first heard of creationism. There's never really been a serious debate about teaching creationism rather than evolution theory at schools here as far as I'm aware of but I'm pretty sure lots of people here, too, believe that evolution theory is just that - a theory among many.

For me, creationism is just another example of taking myth for fact. The catholic pope seems to think the same way. What's interesting about the article above, however, isn't the fact that some people believe this while others believe that. What I find more interesting (and disturbing) is how myth has a tendency to become fact in the minds of many if enough people claim it is. Kentucky seems to have turned into some sort of social bubble - with a belief system that's dramatically different from that in most other parts of the world. Yet, that bubble seems to have been consistent over centuries and still remains unchallenged. I find that fascinating (and a little bit disturbing).

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Cyan Sarden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186072 by OB1Shinobi
creationism has a devoted following in america

and the jargon is impressive actually

my guess is god himself is sick of this foolishness lol

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186073 by TheDude
We Americans live in a country where we try to please everybody and fail. I wouldn't be surprised if it were necessary for schools to teach creationism alongside evolution or instead of it in at least one state. That being because some people have blind faith and ignore reality in favor of their own creation myth.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186075 by Cyan Sarden

OB1Shinobi wrote: creationism has a devoted following in america

and the jargon is impressive actually

my guess is god himself is sick of this foolishness lol

People will believe what they've been indoctrinated with. Independent thought seems to be an acquired skill nowadays and there are plenty of parties actively working on making sure that particular skill remains out of range for a lot of people. I just don't get it how this is possible for entire states - that's what mainly interests me about that University of Kentucky article: what's special about this particular social stratum that seems to aid in perpetuating these extreme views that even uni students seem to find hard to let go of.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, OB1Shinobi

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186091 by RyuJin

TheDude wrote: We Americans live in a country where we try to please everybody and fail. I wouldn't be surprised if it were necessary for schools to teach creationism alongside evolution or instead of it in at least one state. That being because some people have blind faith and ignore reality in favor of their own creation myth.

that is sadly true...and why i don't worry about pleasing anyone but myself...the fact that making myself happy often benefits those around me is just a pleasant coincidence

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #186110 by OB1Shinobi
this is just over five minutes and helps to explain whats going on
this is not representative of the entire religious experience either of americans in general nor necessarily of southerners specifically but it IS a reality of the religious climate within a portion of the american society

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYpcZZh6ilY

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi