Cultural Appropriation

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #185935 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Cultural Appropriation
I'm just going to sneak in at the end here and place this link: http://instinctmagazine.com/post/uk-students-union-passes-policy-banning-gay-white-men-acting-black-women

I make no comments...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #185943 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Cultural Appropriation

Edan wrote: I'm just going to sneak in at the end here and place this link: http://instinctmagazine.com/post/uk-students-union-passes-policy-banning-gay-white-men-acting-black-women

I make no comments...

OHNO THEY DITANT! :snap: :headtilt:

People are complicated.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #186111 by OB1Shinobi
i want to say that i endorse being respectful of people directly

i do not endorse the idea of degrading the experience of an individual in order to protect the perception of an abstract idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B3WQPdqTNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7UjyOkpR4

People are complicated.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #186112 by OB1Shinobi
steamboat, between me and you i consider this conversation as handled - we cool :-)
i dont mean any offense to you or your ideas
i offer in general a counter perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMrYfKo9qoY

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #186120 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Cultural Appropriation
Just because tumblr is a near-literal cesspool of the worst types of human beings to ever discuss social justice issues does not mean that this isn't still a serious problem.

Furthermore, the "autism" spiel in the middle of the video was highly unnecessary.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #186172 by OB1Shinobi
was it highly unnecessary because it was irrelevant to the topic or because you were personally offended by it?

if it was irrelevant but you had enjoyed hearing him say it, would you make it a point to note that it was highly unnecesary?

if it was relevant to the topic is it apporpriate to view it in terms of being you being personally offended?

and since it was his video stating his opinion does it matter if someone else thinks it was unnecessary?

would you forbid him from saying what he wants to say in his own video blog because you feel his views are offensive or unecessary?

People are complicated.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #186180 by steamboat28

OB1Shinobi wrote: was it highly unnecessary because it was irrelevant to the topic or because you were personally offended by it?
would you forbid him from saying what he wants to say in his own video blog because you feel his views are offensive or unecessary?

I find it both completely irrelevant to the topic and highly offensive.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #186197 by OB1Shinobi
that represents the problematic nature of taking offense in general

autism is a condition marked by poor social skill development and the inability to relate in an empathetic way with ones peers

he happened to notice what he considered a suprisingly high percentage of people acknowledging their autistic spectrum conditions and remarked on that

his remarks were by comparison much less derogatory than those of the people he was commenting on

he felt the connection was appropriate to voice

given the nature of the topic (one group of people using their social influence to regulate the social presence of another group) i think its more than fair to allow him to comment on it - i think its very relevant in fact.

i had a g/f in tx with an autistic son, i liked him and i liked her a lot

im not antagonistic or smug or condemning of the actual people

which is what i see as the difference between me and much of this "cutural appropriation" campaign -i have the sense that the people underneath the ideas are decent people who just happen to have gotten overly attached to the bad part of what is in fact an otherwise decent idea

whereas the "social justice warriors" seem to view us culturally apporopriating white men as being a basically wretched people who attach ourselves to someone elses good idea, which we then corrupt by our very association

i see this as being far more offensive than commenting on the recurring presence of a medical condition which by its very nature makes it difficult for people to recognize and be respectful of the value and feelings of other people

and this highlights my overall point, which is that there is a very fine line between promoting a healthy respect for the content of the myriad human sub cultures

and using other peoples cultural content as a platform for expressing or venting ones personal resentment

primarily it seems this is being done towards one specific culture, which by every objective standard is essentially racism

which to be honest im totally ok if racist people want to be racist towards me and just BELIEVE that i DESERVE the racist treatment that they assume my particular ancestors imposed on someone elses ancestors

i can handle them pretty well

and it starts with expressing that theyre just jealous they didnt get born into the oppressor class- clearly it is their desire to impose their will on society

also it just occured to me that in a way this "cultural appropriation" movement has a strong tendancy to develop a parallel to the tale of the boy who cried wolf

no one cares or even notices what jonny is offended about anymore because jonny has taken the idea of being offended and turned it into a vocation

his entire social or even spiritual calling is centered around and fueled by the experience of being offended

so if he ever does happen to hit on something important

no one will listen

because theyre tired of - or just bored with - hearing him complain

People are complicated.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #186204 by steamboat28

OB1Shinobi wrote: that represents the problematic nature of taking offense in general

No. It really doesn't.

autism is a condition marked by poor social skill development and the inability to relate in an empathetic way with ones peers...given the nature of the topic (one group of people using their social influence to regulate the social presence of another group) i think its more than fair to allow him to comment on it - i think its very relevant in fact.

The first part of this quote has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand, and I'll explain why in a moment. The second part is as patently absurd as saying "Oh, well I saw all of these pages were updated from Android phones, so Android users must be mostly SJWs."

he happened to notice what he considered a suprisingly high percentage of people acknowledging their autistic spectrum conditions and remarked on that...he felt the connection was appropriate to voice

Repeat after me: correlation does not imply causation.

And that's if there truly is a connection. The truth of the matter is that there has been a general rise in the incidence os disorders on the autism spectrum since 1990, the vast majority of which is a redefining of the spectrum itself and the changing of diagnostic techniques.

For a person to blatantly and openly mock the autistic in that tone, with those words, is just offensive. Not just "somebody might get..." offensive, but straight out "Dude, you should not have said that" offensive.

i had a g/f in tx with an autistic son, i liked him and i liked her a lot [/i]
Yeah. And I have a lot of black friends. Neither of which have an impact at all on this conversation, and both of which are commonly-used "i'm not racist/homophobic/abelist/sexist/etc., buuuuuuut..." lines intended to excuse the speaker for culpability of whatever it was they were about to say, or just said.

which is what i see as the difference between me and much of this "cutural appropriation" campaign -i have the sense that the people underneath the ideas are decent people who just happen to have gotten overly attached to the bad part of what is in fact an otherwise decent idea

Not your call to make.

also it just occured to me that in a way this "cultural appropriation" movement has a strong tendancy to develop a parallel to the tale of the boy who cried wolf

I'ma let you take that back before this goes totally off-subject and turns into a conversation about rape statistics. K?

because theyre tired of - or just bored with - hearing him complain

I get tired of hearing a lot of people here talk. But they keep bringing old threads back to the top of the box.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #186229 by OB1Shinobi
i never said causation, i said relevance

being offended that this guy on the internet would say such a thing takes ones focus away from the actual topic and puts it towards ones personal feelings of indignation

thats when the real focus of the issue becomes about venting personal feelings rather than addressing social phenomena

why is youre being tired of someone talkig relevant?

you chose to read it
you chose to respond to it
you chose to be offended by it

how does you being tired of something have anythng to do with anyone else but you?

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi