unconditional love

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183084 by
unconditional love was created by
I am exploring the concept of "unconditional love".

I am exploring a new way to reference the concept of "unconditional" love verses conditional love.

Since the word is in the "negative" with an "un-" suffix, I am wondering if there is a better word to describe a universal love that is eternal, complete, perfect and divine?

Any words come to your mind that would be more accurate and positive that "unconditional"?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #183085 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic unconditional love
I don't know ... agapè ? :unsure:

Another thing one can do is just make it "love" without considering any adjective or object for it.

When it isn't qualified or attached to an object (even another person/other people) it shows itself to be un-conditional. It shows itself to not be much of what we style it to be with all the thinking we muck it up with ...

;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Loudzoo

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183091 by
Replied by on topic unconditional love
Well, I feel that there are at least three different types of love:

Divine love - unconditional, spirit, divine, heavenly, eternal, complete, whole or perfect love.
this is the love that emanates from the Force.

Human love - this is the Love/Hate type of "love" that I find most people experience in their humanity. This i the Conditional love.

Blended love or Semi-conditional love. I feel this could be the blending of the divine and human types of love. for example "I love your divine self but I must set boundaries concerning your "human" actions". I love you but I do not appreciate your actions. Or something like that.

More
9 years 1 month ago #183095 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic unconditional love
They might not be different 'types' of love, just different expressions of it in different domains, either internally as an experience or externally as a 'conversation' of values and actions. They seem on the surface to fit nicely into subconscious and conscious associations respectively but I think they interact and influence each other so that sometimes we think and act based on feeling, and sometimes we feel the result of other peoples actions and thoughts.

Which sort of leads to me think its just some sort of unique 'matching' of two people/things which defines it's nature, and perhaps better called paired love or unpaired love instead of conditional or unconditional, as another idea to approach it.

But the term unconditional love in practical reality seems to be some form of suspension/dismissal of any 'love fracticide'. Difficult to achieve perhaps because it might require some cultural paradigms (monogamy) and even inbuilt instincts (sexual competition) to be overriden, oh and complete trust and foregiveness.
:silly:
Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
9 years 1 month ago #183098 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic unconditional love
I don't know if love at all works in "conditions". :dry:

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183103 by
That is a great question. I tend to go with M Scott Peck definition in a road less traveled. The will to extend ones self for the purpose of nurturing ones own or anthers spiritual growth. There is a whole section on this in the book which is really good.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183104 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic unconditional love
im reading road less traveled for the second time right now and i wholly endorse it to everyone!

"vulnerable love"?

i dunno baru except to agree that love itself but i understand thsts insufficient because its used so casually

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #183111 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic unconditional love
compassion...

Padme:"are jedi allowed to love? isn't it forbidden?"
Anakkin:"attachment is forbidden, compassion, which i would define as unconditional love is encouraged"....

sometimes the fiction says it all :whistle:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183112 by
I am exploring this because we use one word "love" to mean so many different things. Since we use this word so often in so many different context, I am wondering if we would benefit from having many words like the Eskimos have for "snow" and "snow flakes".

I find the fact that english has only one word for this concept is interesting. Since so many poets, philosophers, and artists have explored the extremes of this concept, I would think that we would have an entire lexicon for it.

But we have just one word and we get to add some "adjectives/enhancers" like "unconditional" to it to determine what kinds of love we are talking about.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183114 by
I generally avoid the word "compassion" because its root meaning is "with suffering". It implies that a person is connecting with an other being via their mutual suffering. I generally avoid words that reference the aspects that I am "avoiding". I prefer words that "affirm" my intentions for using the word.

When used in the divine sense of empathy or sympathy, I will use the word compassion.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi