Should 'justice' treat children like adults?

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183071 by OB1Shinobi
when i was 16 my friends were the kids who did drugs, stole cars and broke in to houses

by extension, i did drugs, stole cars and broke into houses

i can give you all kinds of statistics and numbers and evidence of why we were mostly normal kids who lived in what most of you would call unusual circumstances

my friend john lived with his aunt, who pretty much lived at the bar
he was with her because his dad was in prison and his mother was dead from a car wreck that i think he was in

randy's dad was alive but he was addicted to crack cocaine
i dont know about his mother - i think she was just gone

for my part, i was at school (3rd grade) when the police took my step dad to prison for a sexual assault he commited on someone else in my family

years later (almost 15) i basically watched my biological father die when hospice gave him the morphine shot to release him from the pain of cancer

my and my friends were what you would call BAD KIDS

but im telling you that we were mostly good kids

we had life situations that are hard for adults to deal with

and we had no adults who could really help us

i am a multiple convicted felon

and a former drug addict (including being an alcoholic which is every bit as much of a drug and drug addict as heroin or methamphetamene, dont kid yourself)

im uninterested with who "forgives" me or who accepts me or who thinks theyre better than me because they didnt make the kind of mistakes i made or who feels offended at things i say

i can tell you with 100% certainty that the positive impact my life is going to have on humanity is already greater and will ultimately VASTLY outweigh the negative

im going to promote what i call "adventure therapy" or "adventure life coaching"

this is where i will instruct people in things like scuba and sky diving and hang gliding
along with warrior philosophy
and the techniques of NLP
to empower people to live their lives fearlessly and openly and with a purpose

i have understanding on overcoming drug addiction that is based on the personal experience of someone who has overcome drug addiction themselves (me!)

i intend to add to and share that understanding

my understanding of martial arts is based on a lifetime of being exposed to violence

my perspective on correctional facilities and adjudication is a result ofhaving been sent to correctional facilities as a part of the adjudication process

the entire idea of revenge against criminals is absurd and archaic

if the victim or the victims family (if the victim did not survive) demands revenge then that ought to be considered and administered in proportion to the crime ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS with greater criteria (in most cases) than the severity of the crime alone

in the case of this kid in the article
he himself is as much a victim now as the man whos house he broke into

imo ifsomeone breaks into your home you should be able to shoot them dead without warning or explanation or fear of legal reprisal

i say this as someone who has been insideof someones house when i shouldnt have been

that being said

this dude shot these kids without a doubt in my mind out of either fear or indignation (probably a mix of both)

the expectation that people ought to be punished according for their actions irrelevent of their experiential context because of the harm which their actions inflict is as applicable to this guy as to anyone else

the argument that the kids were breaking the law is arbitrary

in some cases it is against the law to shoot people even if they are burgalars in your home unless they are clearly posing a direct threat to the life of you or someone else in the home

in some places if you shoot a burgalar in the back the state can charge you with murder

this is and a thousand other absurdities of law lead me to the unshakable conclusion that law in and of itself is arbitrary

to say "because they were breaking the law" is to say nothing at all imo

law is often absurd

so to say this man was legally justified to murder and unarmed teenager who did not know that he was there because the teenager was in his home in violation of the law

is never going to convince me that he was justified in murdering an unarmed teenager who did not know he was there

it may have become necessary to shoot at those boys

maybe he could tell from the things they were saying and the way they were behaving and from past experience with them or others in the neighborhood that these kids would have shot him or overpowered and then murdered him if he would have made his presence known

then again maybe they would have crapt their pants and begged him not to hurt them

to me what he did will probably turn out to be no better or more justifiable than what the kids were doing except that it will be easier to justify because we can say the kids were in his home
and so its easy to understand that he did the best he knewhow to do with the internal and external resources he had
hes probably not a bad person
most likely hes a good person who was facing a situation he didnt know how to handle any other way

and the way he handled it resulted in people getting hurt

one being killed and maybe two others facing life in prison

but he didnt do it because he is a bad person
he did it because he was a person who handled his situation in the best way he understood from within the context of his own perspective

the difference between me and many others in a case like this is that i understan that this essential truth applies just as much to those teenagers as it does to this dude

and i dont favor comounding tragedy with more tragedy

i dont see prison being needed for anyone involved here to understand the consequences of actions and decisions

what imo everyone in this situation needs is a set of experiences which allow them the opportunity to contribute to humanity in a waythey personally feel is meaningful and which empowers them to know their own worth as well as to see the worth of others

personally i would rather let everything i own be taken from me than kill one teenager and see two others sent to 50 yr prison terms

in TX its mandatory to do half your sentence before being eligible for parole and its customary to be denied parole the first time you see face the board

to throw a person in a cage for some absurdly high percentage of their life not only deprives them personally of that time to grow and contribute

but also takes what could usually be converted into a positive resource and turns it into a state imposed expense

you hear about people who go to prison and do their time and learn and come back to society having "grown up" like they say this kid has
but i tell you that these people usuall grow up IN SPITE of the "corrections" expereience and not as a result of it

a better investment of all of our money and emotion would beto hold on to the idea that every (or lets just start with saying MOST) tragedy like this could be seen as an opportunity to make a difference for the better in the lives of people who clearly need it

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Jestor, Edan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183074 by Jestor

Edan wrote:

What if they found him (the shooter) sleeping? Would they have beat him up? Killed him? Raped him? How do we know? They were responsible for each other, and him more than others as he invited others... Safety in numbers if caught? They could overpower the homeowner? They instigated, and took their life in their hands

You can't punish an if though.

They are not...

Im simply saying that we dont know all the facts...

What we do know...

Someone is dead, and that sucks...

A young person is locked up, maybe for the rest of his life, that sucks too...

Someone now has to live with taking a life, that too, sucks I would think... And the stigma that goes with shooting someone...

What we are seeing is this kids story in the best possible light...

Every time I was in trouble, I told the story to (hopefully) make it appear I had just lost my way... Which I obviously had, but, I was still guilty of "whatever"...

We have created a society that is keeping children as children for longer

Honestly, I feel like the opposite is the true. We force adult expectations on children from younger and younger an age... blame media, society, schools, whatever.

[/quote]

Like Ryu said, I also see this as both...

We want children to grow up enough that they are not a burden to us, but at the same time, since they dont know what the hell they are doing, we want them to 'just listen to us'... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Jestor.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 1 month ago #183077 by ren

Edan wrote:

We have created a society that is keeping children as children for longer

Honestly, I feel like the opposite is the true. We force adult expectations on children from younger and younger an age... blame media, society, schools, whatever.

~

A 12 year old asked my missus if she wanted a shag when she was obviously pregnant (29 y.o). Not adult-like, not child-like. Typical robbed childhood. Children and young adults nowadays are morons who it would seem only know what the corporations and lobbies want them to know. I was 12 and definitely up to no good in the neighborhood, not once did i even think of saying something like this... Not to mention it would have earned me an instant punch in the face, fully endorsed by mom and dad too. Now it's all about being "cool" or "hip" or whatever they call it now, and i really wonder who decides what that is going to be.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #183110 by RyuJin
if i got out of line, my dad (stepdad actually) wouldn't hesitate to punch me over the sofa...i always got right back up...

before he died he told me that out of the 4 of us he was most proud of me. i owned up to my mistakes, never shied away from the consequences, acted responsibly, had proper priorities...and was one of the few people that could take a punch from him and get right back up...

during my childhood he was a cocaine fueled @$$hole that would abuse us for the slightest thing...it made me stronger, and gave me a clearly defined sense of my own sense of right and wrong...

pampered, undisciplined children become weak, unruly adults....or as the saying goes:"spare the rod, spoil the child"

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
9 years 1 month ago #183137 by steamboat28

Should 'justice' treat children like adults?

Yes.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183141 by Adder
It should be why they have judges, to make individual intepretations and compensations to achieve the best possible outcome from a bad situation. Generally speaking, smaller crimes could have more potential for leniency with kids IMO, but the worse the crime is the less room there should probably be - because the impacts of the crime increase with the crime which might point to more and more requirement to recognize the victim's more and more in setting the punishment. I think this can still happen for adults, but to a lesser extent as adults should now be role models for children and fully cognizant of the law and the need for following it.... well the ones that make sense at least
:whistle:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi