A Bit About My Very Favorite Book.

More
9 years 2 months ago #179448 by steamboat28
Frank Herbert's Dune turns 50 this year, and if you haven't heard me discussing it yet, that will change as soon as I can get caught up in some of my other lessons, because I have so. many. rants. about how amazing this book is.

For now, I'll leave you with this amazing list of common misconceptions about the book, as dispelled by John Bardinelli.

..but really, go read it. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #179451 by OB1Shinobi
ive read up to house harkonen which his son wrote

KANLY!

no matter how exotic human civilization becomes, no matter the developments of life and society, nor the complexity of the machine/human interface, there always come interludes of lonely power when the course of human kind depends on the relatively simple actions of single individuals

i must not fear
fear is the mind killer.
fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
i will face my fear. i will allow my fear to pass over me and through me, and when my fear has gone i will turn the inner eye to the path of my fear and only i will remain

muad dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. and the first lesson of all was the most basic trust that he COULD learn. it is shocking to find how many people do not belive they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
muad dib knew that every experience carries its lesson

arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife; chopping off what is incomplete and saying "now it is complete because it has ended here"

the mind can go either direction under stress - toward positive or toward negative; on or off. think of it as a spectrum with unconsciousness at the negative end and hyperconsciousness at the positive end. which way the mind will lean under stress is strongly influenced by training.

there should be a science of discontent.
people need hard times and oppression to flex their psychic muscles

to accept a little death is worse than death itself

god made arrakis to train the faithful

what senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us?

THE SLEEPER MUST AWAKEN

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #179460 by
This book sounds really cool, I have been looking for a good saga for ages. I will check it out. I usually go for fantasy or historical/military types. It will be a good change to go to space! :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #179469 by Amaya
I love this series have all the books. Didn't think much of the film though.

Everything is belief

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #179471 by Breeze el Tierno
I read it for the first time so many years ago. My paperback copy looks like it was printed in the 1800's. I now have it on CD. I listen to it once a year in my car.

But let's get real. #5 is completely true. Read about the younger of his two sons. Bruce Herbert was horribly abused by his father. Frank had a great deal to contribute, but he was an awful homophone.

I don't worry about it overmuch, as Frank is dead. He gets grandfathered in because of it. He was a genius, but his books have that ribbon of hate in them. It's a shame, because they are GREAT in so many ways.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Breeze el Tierno. Reason: addendum

More
9 years 2 months ago #179472 by Breeze el Tierno
Please tell that we can agree on one thing, at least: The sequel and prequel books his son wrote with Anderson are just AWFUL.
:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi