General reading question

More
9 years 2 months ago #178828 by Carlos.Martinez3
Has anybody read the new Tolkien Beowulf? Interested to know anything about that copy. Thanks in advance!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #178843 by steamboat28
Tolkien's translations are always very good, but I haven't read this one yet. I'd wait for a few more posts, but I'm going to say it's probably pretty solid.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #178886 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic General reading question
I hadn't heard about this book! I'd imagine that Beowulf in Tolkien's style would be a great read. I wonder if I have enough credit in Amazon to pick it up :D
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Kit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #178891 by
Replied by on topic General reading question
I haven't read it yet either, but it's on my list. I love Tolkien and I love the Beowulf story (in general at least, most versions on print or screen haven't really done it for me).

Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead was his attempt to tell the story and make it more fun. The book failed miserably, but The 13th Warrior, the movie adaptation, is one of my all time favorite movies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #178909 by
Replied by on topic General reading question
The Tolkien translation is probably wonderful. I don't know. Those who know better than I have recommended A New Verse Translation by R. M. Liuzza, Broadview Press, 2000. Liuzza is another Oxford scholar. I used the most excellent Introduction as the basis for a World Mythology lesson plan...then we watched The 13th Warrior. I'm looking forward to doing it again this semester.

More
9 years 2 months ago #178983 by Carlos.Martinez3
I went ahead and bought it, I'm halfway done and it is a very easier read than that of its before comers. Lol I'm actually impressed and actually laughed at the LOR references lol

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi