Native American Jedi... tribes, skills, get to know you...

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #178532 by Tarran
Howdy, peeps! I was in chat a wee mite ago, and we were talking about people here, who are Native American, or of Native American descent...

Now, I thought it cool if we might come together in this thread just to see, share, grow, get to know each other, etc.

Let's introduce ourselves in this thread like this;

1. Jedi name,
2. NA name if you have one (whether given by tribe, or acquired by friends on the Pow-wow circuit. etc.),
3. Nation(s), tribe(s),
4. Other, non-NA ancestry,
5. NA cultural skills, or interests (flint-knapping, fancydance, flute making, leather/beadwork, etc.)

At your option, of course, but I think these five things would tell a lot about ourselves - I'll start...

I'm Tarran

My native name is Falls-Down-Laughing

I'm descended from Siksika (Blackfoot), Kanien'kehá:ka (Mohawk) and Cree tribes, and from another branch of the family tree, there is also some Mi'kmaq and Winnebago.

My other ancestry includes Norwegian (from family in Newfoundland), Canadian-French, and British. There is also a very faint mix of Sicilian and Hakka (Hak Ga) Chinese through my mother's father's family - so I'm an inordinately mixed-up MUTT!! ahahahaha :D

My skills and interests are - I'm a maker of musical instruments, and I started with the Native American flute, in its different designs, according to area. I also enjoy flint-knapping bottle glass into arrowheads and such, and I enjoy leather craft, and even some beadwork to an extent, time permitting (lol)... I love making things with stone, antler, bone, silver, copper, wood, and clay.

Okay, that's me - NEXT!! :D

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Tarran.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, J_Roz

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 2 months ago #178537 by RyuJin
1. RyuJin
2.Running Wolf
3.Cheyenne
4.Scotch-irish(father), German, irish(mother)...only 2nd generation american on matriarchal side
5.leathercraft, hunting, been studying shamanism lately...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, J_Roz, Tarran

More
9 years 2 months ago #178591 by J_Roz
To answer your Questions... :cheer:

Jedi Name:Roz

My given name is: Lone Horse Woman
Bear Clan

Ojibwe/Anishinabe Nation
Scotch, Irish, British Nobility and some Swedish for Flavor ;)

I am a Traditional Dancer, Keeper of Stories, I carry Owl Medicine and am a Pipe Carrier. I also am a traditionalist when it comes to working with my horses and use a lot of Native American principals when working with them. I firmly believe in two phrases, To Walk in Beauty and Mitakuye Oyasin (We are all related/All My Relations). I'm also a very avid hunter/gatherer.

Hope that helps!

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Tarran

More
9 years 2 months ago #178623 by J_Roz
Forgot to mention I also speak Ojibwe I used to be much more fluent and helped teach at the college. I'm working to pick it back up. ;-)

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #178629 by

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 2 months ago #178730 by Brenna
I had a friend who claimed to be Cherokee. He named me "Runs with scissors" (does that count?)

On a serious note though, One of the things im looking forward to once Ive moved, is the chance to explore the native american cultures further. Unfortunately a lot of the exposure Ive had, has either been at formal events where theres no time to spend with the speakers one on one, or through people Ive met in passing who's stories I wasnt really sure of!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
9 years 2 months ago #178777 by Kohadre
My grandfather was full blood Cherokee, which makes me a quarter by decent.

1. Jedi Name: Kohadre
2. Cherokee name: wahaya saquii
3. Cherokee nation
4. Strong bloodline reaching back to icelandic tribes
5. Bow making, bow hunting, communing with natures spirits, fire gazing/scrying

So long and thanks for all the fish

More
9 years 2 months ago #178855 by Wescli Wardest
Hahahhaha RyuJin and I have the same name! :woohoo:

Wescli Wardest
Running-Wolf
Black Foot, Sioux
Irish American
Hunting, tracking, leather working, drum and flute making, beading, knapping, cord making, bowyer fletcher (as it is called in Europe), horsemanship… and a myriad of other things. Basically, I love the outdoors. And I am very fond of heritage and native skills and crafts from most every peoples.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, RyuJin, J_Roz, Tarran

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 2 months ago #179149 by RyuJin

Wescli Wardest wrote: Hahahhaha RyuJin and I have the same name! :woohoo:

Wescli Wardest
Running-Wolf
Black Foot, Sioux
Irish American
Hunting, tracking, leather working, drum and flute making, beading, knapping, cord making, bowyer fletcher (as it is called in Europe), horsemanship… and a myriad of other things. Basically, I love the outdoors. And I am very fond of heritage and native skills and crafts from most every peoples.

Lol, wish I could say I chose it...told my friends (one was part cherokee the other part black foot) about a dream...afterwards they told me that the wolf was my spirit guide and then they gave me that name...

I would have chosen something like soaring dragon....sounds more intimidating...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi