No need for a physical temple

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago #189300 by
Replied by on topic No need for a physical temple
Personally I'd love to meet up with other Jedi and have a local chapter. It could be TOTJO affiliated or be Jedi in general (really hard to not type "just Jedi." Thought of you Kitsu. :laugh: ), doesn't matter to me. The trouble is I'm pretty sure I'm the only Jedi in my area. The closest Jedi that I know of are about 4 hours away.

On the odd chance that I'm wrong I'm in South Eastern Iowa. Near the Iowa City area. (still skeptical to get too specific on the internet. Nothing personal, just habit).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 1 day ago #189302 by Brenna

Kitsu Tails wrote: A Temple building is nothing without it's membership practicing within it's halls and sharing in Jedi wisdom and Lore. It is just a building....

who is going to occupy this temple once we got it? Thats the problem.

I feel that this right here is so very true of any place thats created for the Jedi. Whether its a physical temple, a facebook/skype group or forum is completely irrelevant. As the many dormant Jedi groups are testament to, the idea of "build it and they will come" doesnt apply. Its nothing without the membership within its halls.

Something I think we sometimes forget in the "physical/online" temple discussions.

My personal belief is that a physical temple will happen with more spontaneity than we expect. At some point in our development it will be the right moment and things will come together to make it happen.

Until then, wherever you meet is a Temple. Wherever you practice is a Temple. Who you are is a Temple.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Tarran

More
9 years 1 day ago #189303 by OB1Shinobi
my thought it that once a location materializes so will the staff

as far as who would show up, try it

try craigslist for that matter
put an add in craigslist that basically says "jedi wanted" lol and see if you dont get results
people will show up if there is a place to show up to

as far as what quality the people who show up will be, well, thats more an issue of the quality of whoever is at the temple
people gravitate to what they identify with

just like this website has people willing to put in the time

if a temple situation happened and the people there, even if only a few, were quality people doing something meaningful and beneficial
i have no doubt whatsoever that others will want to be involved
life is like that

i would expect that anyone who actually made a temple situation happen would do so in a way that was fairly well thought out and in which they could realistically expect/predict some degree of sustainability

i would hope so

to be honest, the biggest obstacle to a sustainable temple scenario which i see is more a matter of how mature the existing community is, which i dont have enough interaction with the overall jedi community to be able to make a guess

totjo doesnt seem to be ready, as this and many previous threads demonstrate

this is not an insult

it is what the community itself is saying

"we're not ready"

to which i respond OK

but

were you ready to have children?
were you ready for the military when you joined?
who was READY to live on their own when it happened?
or to get married?
whoever is ever ready for anything?

if youre not ready then we're not ready

so long as everyone feels unready, my real question becomes this; if, and especially WHEN, it happens anyway, where will you be?

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago #189304 by
While it may seem that recent steps we have taken have been in the wrong direction they have nonetheless been inevitable and necessaryt ones. Every religion has sects and branches and different groups of their community that focus on different things. This is completely inevitable and is not a bad thing at all. Every religion needs flexibility.

And though things have not gone as smoothly as we may like, Jediism is still trying to figure itself out. Things are in a state of disarray and there is not much organization. Each individual order/sect/group believes its interpretation of the Jedi Path to be the correct one. I feel that we haven't yet reached the point where we realize that each and every one of us is correct. Maybe that point is coming in the near future or maybe it will take a while to get sorted out. When we come together and help our brother and sister organizations out that is when the Jedi community as a whole will really become organized.

We have to realize that religion is not a competition. The point is not to end up with the most followers or even to prove that we are right. The point of religion is religion itself. And the reason I am here is to improve myself and help anyone and everyone I can along the way.

There is no reason that each and every Jediism organization doesn't have a page of links to all of the other Jedi organizations. Why shouldn't there be a page where an aspiring Jedi can go to learn of all the places he/she can go to practice their chosen philosophy or religion? We shouldn't see other Jedi websites as competitors we should see them as extended family.

If another Jediism organization suits someone better and will be more productive for them I would be more than happy for them that they have found a path they can walk down.

My apologies for ranting and mayhaps diverting the topic a bit.

Keep on keepin' on and...

May the Force be with You,
Rai

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #189308 by

Goken wrote: (really hard to not type "just Jedi." Thought of you Kitsu. :laugh: )

haha cheers :laugh: It was a great idea at the time!! :silly: Just got our private group up on facebook too XD Look us up :whistle:

once a location materializes so will the staff

If only......heck. My husband is staff member in the local Militia group. They have the location, training gear, materials, scheduals...and they still can't get people to show up.
Last edit: 9 years 1 day ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 23 hours ago #189333 by
After reading most of this thread I'd have to say it would be pretty cool to have an actual temple we could make a pilgrimage to and meet up irl, I don't think it's very feasible due in part to how spread out everyone is, and how much money it would cost each year, which could be handled by dues but I don't think that's a good route to go.

What some have been saying about us having our own temples, or that we're our own temples are good ideas. And if this was already talked about and I missed it I apologize for the repost but I think it's worth it.

Have any of you had a "fort in the woods" or something similar when you were younger? A place you guys could go and hangout and escape your parents and school work and chores? Where your parents would scold you for going to because they didn't know where you went? I digress. But what if everyone had their own personal jedi temple close to where they live? Now this could be a literal fort in the woods you've built for you more hands on people, or even a place like a public library or park. That way if/when two or more people meetup irl they have a physical location you can go to and talk or meditate or whatever. And if you wanted to get away from life for a while you could physically go there.

It would be like we have temples all over the world! That would be pretty cool.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi