How many do you have?

More
9 years 2 months ago #175889 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic How many do you have?

ParCandroon wrote: Don't take it personally, gd. Gisteron has a particular mindset and apparently no filter when it comes to these topics. He's free to express his opinion, as we all are, but should take into account the old addage "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" or at the least attempt to keep things neutrally worded instead of trying to make a point with sarcasm and unkind words.

There are nice ways to express an opinion of something you wholly disagree with.

None of which are applicable here.

I'm going to be that jerk that insists that this post, like many others in recent days, has been vague, unclear, uninformative, and backed by a strong sense of mystical superiority where one is not warranted. Gisteron and I are in agreement that such posts are potentially problematic, but for very different reasons.

This should not be a place where we cast aside logic and facts for pseudo-koans and vaguaries just because we can.

I will further indicate that in many of these types of threads, there is already a strong "better than thou" theme coursing through them before I ever deign to post in them, usually showcased in the presentation of false information which, upon request for sources, is tapdanced around by means of being the "bigger person" without actually giving any ground or credence to the criticisms levied. If these text posts were facial expressions, they seem to end in smug smirks and eye rolling anytime someone asks for anything that would back up the speaker's inaccurate words.

If you want to be "wrong" about something that can't be proven, that's fine. You're allowed your opinion.
But don't be wrong about something that's verifiable through source material, whether it's a scientific fact or a religious belief put down in a holy book. That's just sloppy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Tarran

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #175890 by
Replied by on topic How many do you have?
not everyone needs sources. not everyone needs a darth vader suit to breath.

More
9 years 2 months ago #175892 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic How many do you have?

ghost dog wrote: not everyone needs sources. not everyone needs a darth vader suit to breath.

Yes. They do if you want to have any kind of meaningful discussion with a group of people with a common knowledge of a topic.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #175895 by
actually i did post sources numerous times, you may recall you responded nicely to them. you are always making asinine assumptions about everything. you have a problem with me. that is your problem. i cannot help you. other than to say that you might want to get a brain, heart, and lung transplant before you take off your Vader suit.

i am not better than anyone. i am me and you are you. actually we are one and the same. if you don't like this part of yourself there is a block feature. i welcome you to use it.

John Q is a good movie about transplants. speaking of potentially messy things that fly in the face of........

the only type of sources that you are interested in are ones that reinforce common knowledge. the truth is that many of the original sources were destroyed, and replaced with the completely fabricated sources of which today's common knowledge is founded upon.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #176506 by

steamboat28 wrote:

ghost dog wrote: not everyone needs sources. not everyone needs a darth vader suit to breath.

Yes. They do if you want to have any kind of meaningful discussion with a group of people with a common knowledge of a topic.

What, then, is your grounded source of the Force of which you, and all of our members, study? Some things have sources that are incomprehensible or impossible to rightfully describe. Some things just are.

Śākyamuni gives a wordless sermon to his disciples by holding up a white flower. No one in the audience understands the Flower Sermon except Mahākāśyapa, who smiles.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #178990 by
ghost_dog:
(02:48:16) ghost_dog: :O
(02:51:26) ghost_dog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt​er_ego
(02:52:28) ghost_dog: Stage name
(02:53:24) ghost_dog: Impersonation
(02:53:49) ghost_dog: impersonator
(02:55:26) ghost_dog: "Slim Shady"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #179001 by
In Hero with a Thousand Faces, Campbell discusses the mythic symbolism of the ‘spiritual double’ within the context of The Ultimate Boon. The hero journeys to that special place where she might obtain power. Sometimes the boon is stolen, for example, Prometheus and fire, sometimes earned or procured through trickery. One of the many symbols of the boon is, “the inexhaustible dish, symbolizing the perpetual life-giving, form-building powers of the universal source, is a fairy-tale counter-part of the mythological image of the cornucopian banquet of the gods” (Campbell 173). The boon is sometimes a kind of “indestructibility represented in the folk idea of the spiritual double – an external soul not afflicted by the losses and injuries of the present body, but existing safely in some place removed” (Campbell 174ff). The symbols of doppelgangers or clones are a kind of boon of immortality where the hero is more than one person. They possess a kind of immortality because of the difficulty of destroying both souls. The science fiction plot device of countless clones is one form of this mythic immortality as are the fairy tales of doppelgangers. “It is obvious that the infantile fantasies which we all cherish still in the unconscious play continually into myth, fairy tale, and the teachings of the church, as symbols of indestructible being…But the circumstance is obstructive too, for the feelings come to rest in the symbols and resist passionately every effort to go beyond” (Campbell 177). On our own hero’s path to spiritual maturity is the temptation to hear such stories literally. The adventure leads us to enter into the power of the symbol remembering that ‘the menu is not the meal’.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #179439 by
Replied by on topic Puppetia sockii habitat
http://blog.vanillaforums.com/community/how-to-deal-with-sock-puppet-and-alternate-accounts/

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sock+puppet

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/09/from-sock-puppets-to-astroturfing/
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #179452 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic How many do you have?
fun is fun

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #179455 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:Puppetia sockii habitat

ghost dog wrote: http://blog.vanillaforums.com/community/how-to-deal-with-sock-puppet-and-alternate-accounts/

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sock+puppet

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/09/from-sock-puppets-to-astroturfing/

Are you trying to say someone is using them (or you are) or is this another reference that's only going to make sense to you?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Edan.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi