Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick

More
9 years 3 months ago #174512 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick

Gregory wrote: I find in the end it depends on the results and intent. Its wrong to use manipulation for self interest or need to control if it harms another. If you do it for self interest and it harms none, its a grey area, neither good nor evil. But is it evil to manipulate another for self interest or need to dominate if it actually benefits the other? that's a tricky question.

What do you define as benefit? Why not give offer someone a choice rather than trick them? I personally believe manipulation is bad whatever your motive, whatever the outcome. I also don't believe in good and evil... but that's a different topic.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174513 by
Replied by on topic Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick
we can't eliminate manipulation. In any interaction between two or more people, there will be some sort of manipulation, even if a minimal one. Its inherent in human psychology. What counts is the motivation and the end result. My wife will use subtle positive manipulation to get me to do chores around he house i'd rather not do. I view that as not a bad thing. My son in law lacks subtle means of manipulation. He will use yelling and other intimidation to exercise dominance over my daughter simply to satisfy his need to dominate his environment. I consider that to be an evil form of manipulation because it has selfish intent and harms the other person's self esteem.

More
9 years 3 months ago #174515 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick

Gregory wrote: we can't eliminate manipulation. In any interaction between two or more people, there will be some sort of manipulation, even if a minimal one. Its inherent in human psychology. What counts is the motivation and the end result. My wife will use subtle positive manipulation to get me to do chores around he house i'd rather not do. I view that as not a bad thing. My son in law lacks subtle means of manipulation. He will use yelling and other intimidation to exercise dominance over my daughter simply to satisfy his need to dominate his environment. I consider that to be an evil form of manipulation because it has selfish intent and harms the other person's self esteem.

I still don't think motivation is a good enough reason... you're right, we can't eliminate manipulation entirely, but when a person is purposely manipulative... their good intentions might not be what I believe to be good or right. I don't believe the end justifies the means.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
9 years 3 months ago #174951 by OB1Shinobi
What would the ethics be of using a light saber? It too is a form of power. I would suggest that a Jedi use the same kind of discretion about mind trick as with light saber. Luke didnot just barge in and chop jabba into bits. He did everything he could to convince him to compromise for a peaceful resolution INCLUDINg mind trick.

If jabba had been weakr he would have lived longer. Luke and co were the unstoppable force which needed to free solo, whilst jabba was the immovable object that would not let him go.

Had they been able to succeed in their rescue without violence it stands to reason they would have.

So what justifies violence?

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174953 by
Personal opinion aside, this should shed some light on the issue.

In particular, this segment of the section on Force Persuasion, most commonly referred to as the Jedi Mind Trick, is shown to even be debated morally by the Jedi:

"Usage of the mind trick was a moral issue for the Jedi, as it did violate the individual's free will and conscience. Thus, the Jedi were strictly prohibited from using it for personal gain (such as in betting or bargaining), reserving its use for when it would serve the greater good (greater good could also be sometimes a reason to overlook this restriction); the Sith and other Dark Jedi, however, had no qualms about the usage of the ability."

So the matter of whether or not using the JMT is ethical depends not the ethics of the tool, but of the wielder. This is the same as asking if it's ethical to use a sword. The answer will always depend on the individual swinging it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174956 by

:)

More
9 years 2 months ago #175268 by Hitira38
A scenario in which I would use the Jedi mind trick is, when conversating with the council about the construction of the first Jedi Temple. I would say (You want to build a Jedi Temple).

HN

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi