Thankful for you and winter travel tips

More
9 years 4 months ago #171681 by J_Roz
To those of you that celebrate Thanksgiving, in whatever form have a wonderful day today. If you do not I, still thankful you are here. I really do consider the temple here a second home.

Last night I helped assist in an accident that really brought into focus for me being prepared. My family are all ham radio operators for exactly what happend last night. Our area has been pounded nonstop with snow for weeks. Last. Night was no exception and as I was coming home from teaching at the college (30 miles) in the middle of a area with no cell reception was a car in the ditch. Without getting into many details she was injured and needed help calling 911. Roads were terrible with at least a foot of snow on them and very slick. Thankfully I did have my radio and was able to call for help and stayed talking to the person until EMS did show up.

In bad weather there are a few things people can be prepared for.
1. Always carry an emergency first aid kit. Not for the ten reasons I can think of but the hundreds I can not. Include extra batteries too for your flashlight and such.
2. Winter conditions require extra precautions, have extra clothes, sweatshirts, pants, socks, etc. blankets, hand and foot warmers, even extra boots if it's going to be bad.
3. Have something to eat, such as a few candy bars, my husband is diabetic so I carry them anyway but just add to the kit for the winter, some granola bars. Just basic stuff.
4. Always allow extra time. The last two weeks it's taken me two hours to go 30 miles To go home. Don't ride brakes either, pump gently, slamming brakes equals ditch.
5. If you go off the road, remain calm. Nothing causes more trouble than someone freaking out. That goes for someone you check to see if they are okay. You can't help them if you are scared too.
6. Check out the Jedi Bystander thread. Phortis has some great information here, and nothing can replace training for sure, but knowing what you can, are capable of and cannot do are also valuable in situations like this.
7. Understand that sometimes there really isn't anything you can do physically but like last night, just keeping her company till EMS got there was a great comfort, she was safe warm and had someone to talk to. Average response time in the UP to an accident is about 40 minutes, because everyone is volunteer and have to get out of where ever they are to get mobilized.

If anyone else has anything to add please do. It's a hard time of year when weather conditions makes travel difficult, especially in the Midwest. Please take your time, stay safe, eat lots of turkey and have a great day,

Love you all, Happy Thanksgiving
Roz

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi