Fear Leads to Anger...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171594 by
Replied by on topic Fear Leads to Anger...

Brenna wrote: Would it have helped if Yoda added a disclaimer? :lol:

Fear can sometimes lead to anger. Anger can sometimes lead to hate.... etc

lol well that's why I suggested the alternative: "Careful Anakin, consume you, your fears can" which encapsulates all of what was said.

Arkayik wrote: But why would you initiate a teaching mantra if the actual sequence of states already leads to a desired outcome?

I don't so much need a map if I already know the terrain...

Perhaps, but then we have the Jedi Code which one could argue does exactly that.

I agree with Zenchi that it is probably too easy to over-think the fiction, because although there is actually a lot value that can be found in something fictional (Gandalf's sayings in LoTR for example), the prequels and scripting seem fairly rushed (though to a lesser extent the 3rd one).

But then what does that say about the rest of the Star Wars fiction? Or indeed any written story fictional or not? Probably that such things shouldn't just be taken as given, especially if they have come from someone who is said to have an "air" of authority around them (in this case Yoda).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 4 months ago #171634 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Fear Leads to Anger...
Disclaimer: Expressed the views of Yoda only are hmmm, yeees. Not necessarily do they represent the views of council, no they do not. Guidelines only are the teaching and words of Yoda. Individual results may vary.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Adder,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171782 by
That line is one of the few things that i hold onto from episode one as actually being good. While the order of events may not always be exact the pattern can be seen many times in history and are somewhat echoed in human nature.

We fear what we do not understand. If we do not understand it it we develop a sense of anger towards it being different from what we accept as normal. anger over time develops into a deep hatred. If something is hated for long enough it is made to suffer in some form untill it conforms to what we hold our ideals to be.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171809 by
Fear leads to anger only if you act out of inertia or are not used to discipline emotions.

The more practical guideline for me sounds like "It may be hard to tame fear, but if you don't - it will enslave you."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #171853 by

den385 wrote: The more practical guideline for me sounds like "It may be hard to tame fear, but if you don't - it will enslave you."

I concur.

About 4 years ago I was attacked for no reason by two complete strangers (admittedly they were drunk and I was not well dressed so they probably thought it would be fun to beat up some random vagrant). There have been two very serious repercussions that have come from it.

Physically: I cannot go outside while the sun is out without sunglasses on because my eyes no longer can compensate beyond a certain level of illumination. If I do not have my sunglasses it will cause very severe eye pain.

Psychologically: I have a very strong and irrational fear of anyone being near me who I do not know. I cannot stand crowds, and elevators with more than myself and one other person will trigger panic attacks because of there being too many people near me.

That fear of people and the fear that I may once again be attacked by a total random stranger for no reason consumed me to the point where even my job was too crowded for me to tolerate. I work in a very large room with less than 60 people in it. I have spent a large amount of time working on my psychological problems because I knew that there was a problem there.

My fear did enslave me.

However, I can still see that progression (fear>anger>hatred>suffering) reflected in my actions. My fear led to me being angry with myself for not doing more to defend myself while I was being attacked. I spent so long being angry with myself I started hating myself and others around me. This hatred led to me suffering because I was pushing away everyone and everything around me that mattered to me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #171855 by

Peej16870 wrote: My fear did enslave me.

However, I can still see that progression (fear>anger>hatred>suffering) reflected in my actions. My fear led to me being angry with myself for not doing more to defend myself while I was being attacked. I spent so long being angry with myself I started hating myself and others around me. This hatred led to me suffering because I was pushing away everyone and everything around me that mattered to me.

I had a very similar experience caused by bullying as a child. I was a slave to fear and hatred for 15-20 years before I managed to cope better.

Thanks for sharing Peej.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #171871 by
I am now fighting with fear to make my own experimental project, fear of failure is so much that I move very slow. It freezes me sometimes.

I have a recipe that helps - sleep, sport, persistence and doing things I love at free time, but this recipe is fragile. E.g., bad sleep makes sport much harder and start of the day sucks and it's hard to regain equilibrium and persevere a few more steps against fear.

I believe that it is a necessary fight. Every step upstream is necessary to become yourself, to overcome reign of fear.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi