Fear Leads to Anger...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171502 by
Fear Leads to Anger... was created by
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnFr-DOPf8

Someone just posted this video and I thought it would make a pretty good topic.

As RedLetterMedia says in his review of the Phantom Menace (or maybe Attack of the Clones): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
(which is amazing and I highly encourage people to watch it - Warning Strong Lanugage)

The saying: "Fear Leads to Anger, Anger Leads to Hate, and Hate leads to Suffering" is kind of touted as beign really wise but when you look at it in my opinion it's a load of rubbish.

Not only would I argue that Yoda is using a Slippery Slope argument, but why does that chain of events even have to be in that order?

Can't Fear lead to Hatred? And Suffering lead to Anger? And Fear lead to Suffering? And Hatred lead to Anger? etc

That saying sounds good when you hear it, but I remain unconvinced that it actually makes any sense.

Now... if Yoda had said something more intelligent like "Careful Anakin, consume you, your fears can." then that would have made a lot more sense.

I suppose I'm just sharing my pet annoyance with that movie :P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #171509 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Fear Leads to Anger...
I, personally, think it's very well established at this point that every Jedi teacher in the film canon was the absolute perfect Hermit archetypes, complete with selfish, dangerous behavior hidden with "sage wisdom." Jedi are freakin' jerks in the films.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #171513 by
Replied by on topic Fear Leads to Anger...
I disagree. In Episode 2 Obi Wan Kenobi drinks in the bar.

Anakin stayed sober and became a half-machine.

What is the Jedi wisdom in here? )
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

More
9 years 4 months ago #171516 by SilverWolf
Replied by SilverWolf on topic Fear Leads to Anger...
Ok, I can prove that the "Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to suffering phrase that it is true. Here we go:

Ok, choose a moment in History, that they made a movie of like say " Dances with Wolves" or "The color Purple" Both movies were about different cultures that were being oppressed. Take the native americans because we as early americans were moving to different places, starting up new towns and cities, we saw them as different and they were in the way, so we either attacked them and killed them or captured them and put them in camps. The African-Americans we bought them, sold them, and honestly treated both cultures like dirt because we feared them, because we did not understand them. And back then, if we do not understand someone or something, we fear it, do not like it, we get angry because of it, and grow to hate it. That is one of the principal reasons that groups like the KKK were born and created. If you cannot control it, and you do not understand it, and do not want to, you begin to fear your world as you know it will change in a way you do not want it to, you get angry, and you hate it. The Whites wanted the land the Native Americans were on for themselves. they did not know or want to know or understand the Native Americans, because of them they feared what would happen to their way of life with them in it, this upset them, they got angry....we all know what happened. The Civil war was started because of the same type of sitution only with African Americans and slavery. Sorry to disagree, but it is not a load of rubbish, it happens in every century and almost every culture, White and Native Americans, Whites and African Americans, Spanish and Americans, English and Irish, American and Japan, in every case there were two seperate cultures that did not understand each other so they feared the worst of each other and then got Angry and Hated one another and because of that hate there WAS suffering. for months, years, and in some cases, centuries.

More
9 years 4 months ago #171518 by steamboat28

den385 wrote: I disagree. In Episode 2 Obi Wan Kenobi drinks in the bar.

Anakin stayed sober and became a half-machine.

What is the Jedi wisdom in here? )

I can tell we're gonna get along juuuuust fine. lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171519 by
Silver, you can prove it happens in situations. But, you can't prove it always happens.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171520 by
I would say that things can go that way (as they certainly did for Anakin), but that they don't have to. Like Akkarin said, it can go in a different order. I believe that for the purposes of the movie they were just trying to do some foreshadowing.

More
9 years 4 months ago #171522 by steamboat28
I think the point we're overlooking is that this isn't a consistent course of events. It's a litany, part of a doctrine, part of Jedi rhetoric. Whether or not it's true is completely immaterial; Jedi believe that it's true because it's an institutional tradition.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171525 by

steamboat28 wrote: I think the point we're overlooking is that this isn't a consistent course of events. It's a litany, part of a doctrine, part of Jedi rhetoric. Whether or not it's true is completely immaterial; Jedi believe that it's true because it's an institutional tradition.

Are you asking whether or not we should believe it?

I think it's a good warning and something to be mindful of, but not taken literally. Fear can be a dangerous thing if not understood or given in to. I think of it simply as a warning against that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171526 by
I think it's just supposed to make sense to the character he's speaking too. Obviously there are many things that can lead to anger and hate and suffering, but the line in the movie is specific to Anikin. Don't think too hard on it :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi