A Jedi Career choice: making a living thats helps the world

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171435 by
This is a topic that I have been wanting to ask about for a while now. I have always felt, Being a Jedi I should choose a career path that doesn't lead to the destruction of our planet or any other living beings. I am currently a welder/Metal fabricator and I live in the metro Detroit area where the employment is predominantly in automotive. And my choices are work in the auto industries where the things I build kill and pollute the earth or Get into the defense industry like my father but the thing I build are specifically created to kill. But then I step back and ponder the effects of my trade on the planet. I'm a welder I burn metal , the fumes that come off the metal are highly toxic and the gasses used are specifically used for displacing the atmosphere although the gasses are natural its still the fact that its hazardous to my health and all who are around me. So basically I would like to know the opinions of my fellow jedi on the topic of whether or not it matters what a jedi does for a living? or if anyone agrees that a jedi should employ him or herself in a field that doesn't have negative effects on the earth and all that is in it? And if anyone could give me some ideas about careers in the direction of service or simply something that is positive for our planet and life in general? Just something I've been pondering for some time now thanks and I cant wait to hear everyone's responses MTFBWY all .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #171437 by Reacher
Brother,

Your first priority should be to take care of your loved ones. You have a job and a skill - I would use them. I submit that a Jedi's job does not matter, as long as he is conscientious about plying his trade. There is likely common ground there between the practical and the ideal, but if there is not...do what lets you sleep at night.

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, , Carlos.Martinez3

More
9 years 4 months ago #171442 by steamboat28

AMD1988 wrote: I am currently a welder/Metal fabricator...

Is that fulfilling for you? Because, really, that's the ultimate question as to whether or not you should stay in your career. "Follow your bliss," I believe Campbell said?

My best friend, powerful "Jedi" is he. Not a member here, but lives his life by the same ideas we try to here. He's also a welder. The stuff he welds holds the lives of three people in its hands; if he fails, they die. He knows he's the only person at his job who can do that work well enough to make sure those men stay alive. He finds great fulfillment in that, knowing that he can do something that will protect other people. He's not just a welder. He's kinda like a superhero.

I write. I do it because I love it, but I suck at making money at it. I help people, too, however and whenever I can. That's not my "job", it's not my career, but it's my calling. Your living doesn't have to be tied to your occupation.

Sometime, somewhere, whether at this job or another, whether at work or during your free time, you'll do things, too. You already have, honestly, just by virtue of living this long. You've changed someone's life, and you'll change someone else's. And that's what this is about, I think. Whether you're a superhero welder like my buddy, or your "living" is between shifts like mine is, you're changing peoples' world for the better.

That's what matters to Jedi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171448 by
I have to say I agree with steamboat. I went to school to be a teacher, but when the only option to ply my trade was to work for a Catholic school, I politely declined and sought my career elsewhere. My reason for this is that I do not believe in indoctrinating young people. I feel like students should be given the chance to discover their own paths, and if I had taken a job as a teacher in such a school, I would be essentially doing harm to the development of future members of humanity. It has nothing to do with disrespect for Catholics but rather my overabundance of respect for critical thinking. This led me to work in sales and management at a local telecom company where I work while I also pursue my two loves; creative writing and technology. I too write prolifically and am currently working on my CompTIA A+ Technician certification so that I can get into a field I love, where I'll be helping others and doing something I enjoy. I do believe in the ideal of striving to live a moral and ethical life; Buddhism led me to being a Jedi in part, and right livelihood is one of the steps on the Noble Eightfold Path. Sometimes, however, pragmatic realities force us to work at jobs that may be morally questionable. In my opinion there are two important things to remember in such cases: 1) you can exert a moral power over your work (as a salesman, I strive to be an ethical one and look out for my customers and only sell them things they need while not taking advantage), and 2) you are no more defined by your job than anyone else. Other things can and should be your passions on the side, and these are the things you should pursue with fervor.

I hope this helps and may the Force be with you! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171536 by
Right now, I do a job for which most Americans probably wouldn't like me right now due to quite a bit of misinformation in the media. I don't particularly enjoy it (I hate sitting in front of a computer all day) except for helping my fellow service members do their jobs safely, and there is something else I would like to do with my life when I leave the military. One day, I plan to open a magnet school that focuses on cultural relations and international diplomacy. I would like to be able to give students an education equal to a master's degree by the time they're 18, but that is far far in the future. So I'm staying focused on the present.

I agree with steamboat. Do what is fulfilling for you, but also be mindful of where you are in your life and what your responsibilities are. If you have a family to provide for and bills to pay, you can't exactly drop the job you have no matter how unfulfilling it is. If you would like to change your career, take reasonable steps in your life to get a new education and new job so that you can pursue what makes you happy and provides for your responsibilities. Or, if you want to stay a welder but don't want to hurt the environment, maybe you could figure out a way to make the process less harmful. There are many possibilities. Reacher is also correct. There is likely common ground there between the practical and the ideal.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171539 by
I understand completely. I work at a bank, many people believe that all banks are evil conglomerates that are just out to squeeze all the money out of you that they can. Some banks are very much like that. Luckily I work at a small local bank that has to be all about keeping our customers happy and loves doing it. I love talking to our bank president because of how much he wants to help people.

I sometimes feel like all I do is remind people that they owe us money or that they have fees and things like that, and then days come when I really do get to make a difference in a person's life. Even if that difference is just removing some fees or opening an account for someone who was turned away at other banks.

I think that as Jedi we should strive to make a difference in our communities. If you can have a day job that does that, great, more power to you. If you can't, find ways outside of work. If you want to make a difference then you will, you just have to look. I also agree with Reacher, you won't be as helpful if you're too worried about your family or your financial situation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171986 by
I would like to say thank you to all who have replied to this post you have all been very helpful. I would like to add that I always seem to think the replies would be different in someway but then I remember that this is a jedi temple lol. But I am still just a student and my perspective or paradigm in which I see the world is of my own sight. And I'm still wrapping my head around the idea that everyone else lives in there own realities. Its quite a mind !@%$ery to me. HaHaHaHa MTFBW all of you!

More
9 years 4 months ago #172046 by Alethea Thompson
I know a Jedi that works for a company that isn't exactly a "Jedi Career" choice, but what he does to make up for all the time he is missing that he could dedicate to something like volunteer work and the like, he finds ways within his job to take up the Jedi mantle. He accepted a position as the safety officer.

Jedi are creative in their methods for living the path. I'm sure you can figure out a way to work around it. ;)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #172050 by
If you want your job to be good for you and those closest to you and the world all the same time, than you might look at Ikigai notion. I discussed it here , applied to my own craft.

And despite of that Steve Jobs is not ICON for me - his Stanford speech has good sense in it. Good advises. (It's all over youtube if you haven't seen it somehow). It may seem old stuff for you - for me it's kind of classic.

I work as a software developer in Moscow, Russia. I consider that my Ikigai. It grows out of several intertwined dreams - to develop leadership skills, to work intellectually, to "move human race forward".

Work is my first priority after being Jedi. So I carefully ensure that my career moves towards not only competence, money and joy, but towards something good for society as well. I strive to bring something Jedi in work - for now all I can do is to help novice developers to stay motivated, help them advance without too much frustration or psychological traumas or stress. I hope, soon I'll be doing small software things that will make world a little more effective and neat.

It's hard to balance your career - many factors - yet I feel, that a Jedi should be able to manage, if he decides to give it priority.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172088 by
thank you den385 I have referred to the link you have provided and I found it very interesting this helps me very much. I am looking into it right now if you have any good websites about it I would appreciate a heads up thanks again. MTFBWY

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi