Thanksgiving Origins- Does it Matter?

More
9 years 4 months ago #171208 by SilverWolf
http://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiving/history-of-thanksgiving/videos/bet-you-didnt-know-thanksgiving

http://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiving/history-of-thanksgiving/videos/puritans-vs-pilgrims?m=528e394da93ae&s=undefined&f=1&free=false

http://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiving/history-of-thanksgiving/videos/deconstructing-history-mayflower?m=528e394da93ae&s=undefined&f=1&free=false

http://www.history.com/topics/pilgrims

http://www.history.com/topics/native-american-history/native-american-cultures

these are all from History.com on the subject of thanksgiving

Personally, I celebrate thanksgiving as a day to give thanks for the gifts that God has given me : The breath of life, my continued life, my mother, my father, my two sons from different mothers Will and Aiden. I give thanks to the Woman I consider my Wife Rachel, and all of you. that is what thanksgiving means to me. not turkey, not football, not history that honestly none of us will truly know the truth of because each version of history is different from each persons perspective. I'm not saying the "White man" was any less stupid back then. God knows our "white men politicans" now are not exactly the brightest bulb in the lamp of life. nor will I say that the Native americans were as they called them back then "savages" I honestly do not know. So I will not assume to judge either way. I do say that Thanksgiving should be about family and peace in today's society, and we should "try" to "make some form of peace" with the mistakes of our ancestors and accept that has horrible as it was, and it was...we weren't born then, so we honestly do not know, and we as individuals of today are different than our ancestors of back then. So why druge up hate on the day when "we" had no part in it. We can be ashamed of what our ancestors did, how they acted, but will it honestly change what happened? So why not just concentrate on the present and treat those of different religions, cultures, races, etc with the kindness you would want. We of today can only change how we treat people in our time. We cannot erase what happened back then. So enjoy time with your family no matter where you are, what race you are, or how you live. Enjoy every second with them and cherish it like it their last second. Because we take life for granted and the people in our lives.So just celebrate thanksgiving as a nice day to say "I love you" and "I appreciate that you are in my life" instead of focusing on horrible and negative history of it. Just my opinion, sorry if I offended any of you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171209 by

Revan Falton wrote:
Probably because it was all about the evil white man and their oppression of the natives. Even though everyone forgets what the natives did to the settlers. Go figure. :silly:

I'm sorry, but this comment is offensive...

It is, however, no less than I'd expect to hear after a bully has done his thing...

Your attempt at the "Poor me" defense is a fail...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #171211 by

Arkayik wrote:

Revan Falton wrote:
Probably because it was all about the evil white man and their oppression of the natives. Even though everyone forgets what the natives did to the settlers. Go figure. :silly:

I'm sorry, but this comment is offensive...

It is, however, no less than I'd expect to hear after a bully has done his thing...

Your attempt at the "Poor me" defense is a fail...

Poor me defense? This issue has nothing to do with me personally, as I am not apart of either side or heritage. The only thing I am related to this, is that its an American Holiday, and I live in America. I am an unbiased observer, and quite honestly, I have seen a tremendous amount of biased remarks, views, and opinions presented here in this topic. Both parties were at fault. I am not condoning either side, but if you are here simply to demoralize and degrade the opposing side, you beat look at what actions YOUR SIDE that you choose to support perpetrated upon the others. Sorry if the blunt honest truth is offensive.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #171213 by Zenchi
So lets not respond poorly, two wrongs don't make a right, right? It was in bad taste granted, but calling names is no better, squash it...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171320 by

Revan Falton wrote: but if you are here simply to demoralize and degrade the opposing side, you beat look at what actions YOUR SIDE that you choose to support perpetrated upon the others. Sorry if the blunt honest truth is offensive.

If your only defense is to accuse me of attempting to demoralize/degrade you, then I suggest you polish up on your rhetoric skills. Be very clear, my post was directed at your comment, not at you....

So you claim to be just a disinterested observer?

Do you propose then, that you can say anything that pops into your mind and to justify it by saying "hey, I'm a disinterested observer"... Yet, I'm on a "side" because I happen to disagree with your comment...

Inherent in what was written is the idea that one bad turn deserves another... The idea that it might be ok what the colonials did because everyone forgets it was done to them too... This logic I happen to find offensive...

I don't really care whether you have any "skin in the game", it does - however - make me wonder...

It's also not your problem that I find it offensive, that's my problem...

Revan Falton wrote: Probably because it was all about the evil white man and their oppression of the natives. Even though everyone forgets what the natives did to the settlers. Go figure. :silly:

Whatever side you think you're not on, look in the mirror... We're all human.

I don't claim to be right, I just call it like I see it...

Zenchi wrote: squash it...

Sorry, did I miss something...? I do confess to being obtuse, I'm really not sure what that was about, feel free to elaborate...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171340 by

Arkayik wrote:

Revan Falton wrote: but if you are here simply to demoralize and degrade the opposing side, you beat look at what actions YOUR SIDE that you choose to support perpetrated upon the others. Sorry if the blunt honest truth is offensive.

If your only defense is to accuse me of attempting to demoralize/degrade you, then I suggest you polish up on your rhetoric skills. Be very clear, my post was directed at your comment, not at you....

So you claim to be just a disinterested observer?

Do you propose then, that you can say anything that pops into your mind and to justify it by saying "hey, I'm a disinterested observer"... Yet, I'm on a "side" because I happen to disagree with your comment...

Inherent in what was written is the idea that one bad turn deserves another... The idea that it might be ok what the colonials did because everyone forgets it was done to them too... This logic I happen to find offensive...

I don't really care whether you have any "skin in the game", it does - however - make me wonder...

It's also not your problem that I find it offensive, that's my problem...

Revan Falton wrote: Probably because it was all about the evil white man and their oppression of the natives. Even though everyone forgets what the natives did to the settlers. Go figure. :silly:

Whatever side you think you're not on, look in the mirror... We're all human.

I don't claim to be right, I just call it like I see it...

Zenchi wrote: squash it...

Sorry, did I miss something...? I do confess to being obtuse, I'm really not sure what that was about, feel free to elaborate...

Yeah, you seem to miss a lot. Oh well. I shall reiterate. That means repeat / explain. :) I have no ancestors who were involved on either side (as I said before), which means, I have no bias in this situation (which obviously you do). I look at both sides, not just one (again, unbiased, simple definition to understand, yes?). I never stated what the colonists did were okay, please tell me where I used those words. I would love to see that. I do believe I actually said that both parties were at fault. I love how you chose not to include that when you addressed my so called quote though. Also, never said degrade me, I said the opposing side, IE the colonist side. Why are you so intent in me having a personal stake in this? Yes, I can actually say anything I want actually, its called free will and freedom of speech. Also, never claimed to be on a side, nor am I currently saying that. This will be the third time in this topic that I have stated this, maybe it'll finally make since to you. Both sides were at fault (Doesn't sound like I'm on a side, does it). My issue was simply that the views that were being portrayed was that of the evil white man vs the innocent victimized natives, when in truth, both parties were equally to blame, and equally committed wrongs against each other. Again, unbiased, unlike you though. Next time, I'd appreciate it if you don't attempt to put words into my mouth, or try to twist my words into whatever you want, when I clearly and accurately stated my views.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171378 by
History is like my butt. Sometimes it stinks but it's behind me.

Thanksgiving historically should be remembered, however Thanksgiving with family should be honored.

Exactly. Thank you. :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #171380 by steamboat28

Rickie The Grey wrote: History is like my butt. Sometimes it stinks but it's behind me.

I don't know how I feel about the most profound statement in this thread being a fart joke.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171382 by
[/quote]I don't know how I feel about the most profound statement in this thread being a fart joke.[/quote]

I sincerly hope you feel like laughing. :) It could have been worse that breaking wind? :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171392 by

Revan Falton wrote: Yeah, you seem to miss a lot.

Yes, mea culpa, I'm in an openly obtuse relationship with the world...

However, to be fair to me, I've never met an unbiased human. As I've not met you, I can't yet clear the bucket list, but I'm pleased to at least be able to claim I've encountered a truly unbiased human. It is truly a great honour, thank you.

Shakespeare keeps popping to mind tho... I'll have to figure out why.

Beyond that, consider me well warned. I'll be certain never to interpret anything you post in less than completely orthodox terms ;)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi