The Death Penalty As Applied

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170985 by
Replied by on topic The Death Penalty As Applied
Let me begin by stating that I live in Southern California, and when it comes to anything to do with justice, we are totally screwed up. The crimes of Charles Manson and subsequent punishment (or lack of?), O.J. Simpson's trial, the circumstances surrounding the death of Michael Jackson... need I go on? Voters banned the use of plastic grocery bags AND banned gay marriage in the same election. The Japanese BBQ place down the street from me has a "Help Wanted" sign in English, Spanish, and Korean. In the family that is the United States, we might as well be the schizophrenic uncle.

And until recently, the last hope of the condemned was a phone call to Arnold Schwarzenegger. The Terminator.

You should understand then why I don't trust ANYBODY to make the decision of who should live and who should die. Not because I don't think some people deserve it, but because I could never put my faith in a system that carries out a penalty of death when we can't even decide if you should be allowed to smoke a joint.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #170989 by

Lago Marsino wrote: So in sum, do I think that some people deserve to die for their crimes? Yes I do.
Do I think we are capable of carrying this out? No I don't.
Something to meditate on.

I borrowed this from this thread from a few months back. Funnily enough, this thread was the deciding factor in my joining the temple as the death penalty was my last hold out. This is now my understanding and opinion of the death penalty.

• Br. John
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • Founder of The Order
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #170996 by Br. John
by Touré @Toure
May 03, 2012

"Even if you believe in the death penalty from a moral standpoint, racial disparities and other human errors make it hard to trust humanity with the ultimate penalty."

http://ideas.time.com/2012/05/03/put-to-death-for-being-black-new-hope-against-judicial-system-bias/

Put To Death For Being Black: New Hope Against Judicial System Bias
North Carolina's Racial Justice Act finally acknowledges that there is a huge bias in who gets the death penalty

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Br. John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
9 years 4 months ago #170997 by SilverWolf
Senan,

I was born and raised 95% of my life in Washington, D.C. . you think California is screwed up? I still laugh about how the Residents of Washington D.C. once elected Mayor Marion Barry, he got caught using the money from they city treasury to buy drugs and prostitutes, admited it, went to jail, and then got RE-elected after he got out of jail. It is because of that fact that I agree with your mistrust. I don't mean to offend anyones political beliefs, but I still feel the Obama election was bought and paid for and that they looked the other way on his citizenship, or lack there of. but that is just my personal opinion. I will admit I have no facts to back it up. But yeah, I TOTALLY GET your mistrust.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #171009 by
Group think is dangerious.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi