Strict adherence to doctrine.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #171058 by steamboat28

Br. John wrote: It costs far more to sentence someone to death than it does to keep them in prison for life. Even Fox News, Fox News, said, "Every time a killer is sentenced to die, a school closes."

"[A] death-penalty trial costs $1 million more than one in which prosecutors seek life without parole."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/27/just-cost-death-penalty-killer-state-budgets/

To be fair, isn't a fair bit of that cost due to long-term imprisonment during the lengthy (and necessary) appeals process to ensure that the person being sent to death is actually the guilty party?

And even if it's not, even if you're right, even if we can prove 100% that the death penalty is cruel, unusual, or torturous, the key question in this thread is does that require me to agree with you to be a "real" Jedi, or are we turning into a parody of Christian churches that excommunicate homosexuals because they don't follow the doctrine closely enough? Is there a middle ground? And can we reach it?
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago #171059 by Brenna
Well your first problem with that article is that your lawyers are obviously making WAY too much money!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
9 years 5 months ago #171062 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Strict adherence to doctrine.

steamboat28 wrote: ..the key question in this thread is does that require me to agree with you to be a "real" Jedi, or are we turning into a parody of Christian churches that excommunicate homosexuals because they don't follow the doctrine closely enough? Is there a middle ground? And can we reach it?

Perhaps consider, the point in question says 'oppose', not to what extent that opposition must be. I think the point is to be genuine. In regards to the death penalty as a punishment.... I'm not sure if death itself is experienced by the dead as punishment, so perhaps even it could be interpreted as not using it as a threat to the living.... So I'm not sure what the concern is actually... if you believe in the death penalty, then to oppose it could be to ensure its correctly applied; and if you don't believe in the death penalty to oppose it could be to argue for its abolition etc.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
9 years 5 months ago #171064 by Br. John
If the question is can a member of The Order believe in the Death Penalty even though TOTJO as an organization is against it - the answer is they probably can.

Merely believing you believe in the Death Penalty as an abstraction is not executing anyone. It may be that upon examining individual cases you won't believe in it or you're unaware of the implications of the Death Penalty in actual practice.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion, Edan, Zenchi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi