Who's responsibility?

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 5 months ago #170013 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Who's responsibility?

Ecthalion wrote: I agree with what you say Zenchi.

I would just like to confirm that I do believe in democracy. Just because I have left wing views that does not mean that I am anti-democratic. But, like you say, the system is broken. The majority of voters (at least in the UK where I live) are led by the media, which of course, being owned by the mega-rich, supports the right wing. It's like turkeys voting for Christmas.

My comment that anti-capitalist opinion might not be viewed well in America is based on my perceptions of American culture and politics. I accept that it might have been be flawed and apologise for my error.

The media does not support the left or the right. They support the people they can more easily control in exchange for that support. They make up stories to detract from the important stuff, use a scapegoat (In the UK that's usually the EU) when Jordan's tits aren't enough.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170027 by
Replied by on topic Who's responsibility?
A society is measured by how it treats its poor. Poor in wealth, poor in mind, poor in body, poor in spirit. It SHOULD be in the hands of the powerful to help those in need, for they have the most power to change it. There are those who can't be helped, but if one doesn't try to help then the problem lies with him. Charity is the act of putting love into ACTION. Without action, love is meaningless. It is the crux of the Works vs Faith debate in Christianity, and I feel it applies to Jedi as well. Without charity, all faith is but words.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170029 by
Hmm, I did not know a governments responsibility was to raise people, such as a parent raises a child. Wasn't the purpose of government was simply to have a defense force, basic laws, (in our case to let the states make their own laws) and set up the building blocks of a successful economy. Guess I didn't get the memo.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170030 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Who's responsibility?

Revan Falton wrote: Hmm, I did not know a governments responsibility was to raise people, such as a parent raises a child. Wasn't the purpose of government was simply to have a defense force, basic laws, (in our case to let the states make their own laws) and set up the building blocks of a successful economy. Guess I didn't get the memo.

It is our collective responsibility... that includes the government.. which I pay taxes to.. of which part of those taxes are to help kids in my country that are in similar situations to the kids in the OP article. I'm not in America so perhaps I have a different view to you.. my country has universal healthcare..

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170032 by

Revan Falton wrote: Hmm, I did not know a governments responsibility was to raise people, such as a parent raises a child. Wasn't the purpose of government was simply to have a defense force, basic laws, (in our case to let the states make their own laws) and set up the building blocks of a successful economy. Guess I didn't get the memo.

I don't think anyone expects the government to raise any children. And it seems that "government" has an extremely negative connotation in this thread. Remember, people work for the government. "The Government" isn't some weird entity all to itself. It's made up of people. I work for the government as a service member. There are other people who work for the government in jobs where they take care of people and they have just as much dedication to their work as I do.

As far as the purpose of government goes, according to the Preamble of the United States Constitution, the six purposes of government are to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty. There are a lot of little things that can fall under those extremely broad categories including giving money to disabled people so they can live a more normal life.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

• ren
    Registered
More
9 years 5 months ago #170034 by ren

Remember, people work for the government.

If only government could work for the people....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170035 by

ren wrote:

Remember, people work for the government.

If only government could work for the people....

Those that govern are a reflection of the governed. It's not like we elect people from outside the US to govern inside the US. They're all Americans. Those in the government come from the same pool of people the rest of the country. They're all citizens. Stop pretending that government is something foreign. It's not. If you're unhappy with how the government works, you only have to look in a mirror to understand why.

• ren
    Registered
More
9 years 5 months ago #170037 by ren
What's with the rant? all I said is the government doesn't work for the people. I never said it was foreign, or even that I was unhappy about it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170040 by
I aplogize if that seemed ranty. I wasn't upset or anything typing it.

Saying that government doesn't work for the people is pretty close to saying you're unhappy with it. My response was meant to illustrate how treating the government and the people as separate entities is incorrect.

• ren
    Registered
More
9 years 5 months ago #170041 by ren
It's merely an observation that the government doesn't work for the people. You can look at everything they do, and every time ask "in whose interest is this", and realize that most of the time you can't answer this question with "one or more people".

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi