Who's responsibility?

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #169937 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Who's responsibility?

Exarchias wrote: Your smile stole my heart but i will not change opinion for anything. :)
Seriously i wish you both a nice night.
Please leave me be now.

:angry: :S seriously. My smile stole you heart? :pinch:

If you dont wish to participate in the conversation, then refrain from responding to the thread as the conversation is going to continue regardless.

Oneiros - Personally I think that youve nailed part of the problem there. Its not a lack of money, its the distribution thats the issue.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brenna.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #169939 by
Replied by on topic Who's responsibility?

Brenna wrote:

Exarchias wrote: Your smile stole my heart but i will not change opinion for anything. :)
Please leave me be now.

If you dont wish to participate in the conversation, then refrain from responding to the thread as the conversation is going to continue regardless.

Not yours. :)
Just saying. Goodnight.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #169940 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Who's responsibility?

Exarchias wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Please leave me be now.

Not yours. :)
Just saying. Goodnight.

tee hee.

Mine is the only picture with a face or a smile. Just saying :woohoo: :whistle:

seriously though. Enough derailing before we get shouted at!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 5 months ago #169952 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Who's responsibility?
As a patient I'd want to be in europe, as a doctor I'd want to be in america. Either way, the cages are a bit dated when it comes to healthcare.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
9 years 5 months ago #169955 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Who's responsibility?
There is only one problem.

And its not even a problem.

We depend on each other. Making the people we depend on better, helping them, caring for them...it helps ourselves.

We live our lives learning that.

But lives start fresh everyday...and they end.

This isn't a problem...it is just where we are.

Keep walking.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169975 by
If there is enough money for wars then surely there is enough to look after those in need.

Tax the rich more, spend more. It is not right (in my opinion) that some people have an excess of wealth whilst others live in terrible conditions. Redistribute the money to where it's needed.

This may not go down well (especially amongst our American friends) but I find capitalism to be a cruel concept. It promotes selfishness and greed. Sure, people are free to be charitable, but it's not compulsory. I prefer a system where excessive wealth is taken from those who have it and used for the benefit of those less fortunate. I'm a lefty through and through.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #169989 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Who's responsibility?

Ecthalion wrote: If there is enough money for wars then surely there is enough to look after those in need.

Tax the rich more, spend more. It is not right (in my opinion) that some people have an excess of wealth whilst others live in terrible conditions. Redistribute the money to where it's needed.

This may not go down well (especially amongst our American friends) but I find capitalism to be a cruel concept. It promotes selfishness and greed. Sure, people are free to be charitable, but it's not compulsory. I prefer a system where excessive wealth is taken from those who have it and used for the benefit of those less fortunate. I'm a lefty through and through.

Well, there's this thing called Democracy, and although many may not believe it works simply because it's a popular jumping point to complain about something (not pointed at anyone here) it does actually work.

Not only does it work, but quite a good number of people in the united states believe in what you have mentioned, only they are made to believe they only have two choices come time to vote. The reason for this thinking is because of money, or the lack thereof.

Third parties like the independents simply don't have the resources availible to saturate the media on T.V to get their message across, so again, money is not the solution. The system is broken, to an extent. The problem is that revolution will not be televised, so the sleepers keep on sleeping, and nothing changes...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Zenchi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169991 by
I agree with what you say Zenchi.

I would just like to confirm that I do believe in democracy. Just because I have left wing views that does not mean that I am anti-democratic. But, like you say, the system is broken. The majority of voters (at least in the UK where I live) are led by the media, which of course, being owned by the mega-rich, supports the right wing. It's like turkeys voting for Christmas.

My comment that anti-capitalist opinion might not be viewed well in America is based on my perceptions of American culture and politics. I accept that it might have been be flawed and apologise for my error.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #169996 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Who's responsibility?
It took me a while to decide whether to post to this thread or not, and even now I'm not sure I have my words right, but I have been working on presenting my view of this situation from as centered a position as I can possibly manage.

First, I think it is imperative that we look at the connotations of the words that we use. Historically, the word "handicapped" connotes charity and it is derived from the sentiment "hand-in-cap" or beggar. As a member of this population, I prefer to be called an "individual with a disability", but I would love it if you called me "Rosalyn" best. This is a better representation of the person-hood of myself and others individuals within this population.

When we have discussions like these which debate the necessity of programs for the social welfare of people, what is really in discussion here is are these people "people". I found it particularly distressing that the services that I make use of were relegated to luxury on par with cable. Yes, I receive benefits. I also pay taxes. And I am a person. There is a particular quote that might be helpful here, us Americans may recognize it:

Declaration of Independence of the USA Wrote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

I viewed the link in the Opening post and my heart did not just weep for these individuals, it wept with them because, you see, I was there. Not Greece, mind you, but America. There were no cages, but there also was no mistaking how the staff felt about us and they had the same entitled views I see posted here. And it was LUCK that got me away. I'm not going to take up this post with a sob story, but I'd be willing to tell anyone who will listen if it will help at all.

But I do have to ask, am I in that quote at all? Do they mean me? Because if they do then I have the right to have Life and Liberty and to Pursue Happiness. You may ask, what does that look like? It looks like what I am getting now with the help of the government. With the help of you the tax payer. I am not the only person who benefits here. There are millions like me with a better quality of life because of your tax dollars. Thank you!

Because of you, I am about to graduate with a Master's Degree in Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling which will allow me to help individuals with disabilities enter the workforce because I am of the opinion that the majority of individuals with disabilities can work, and decades of studies have shown that they want to work. I thank you for letting me pursue my dreams of helping people like me. I hope to put thousands to work and repay you.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, Amaya, Edan, Zenchi, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169997 by

Jestor wrote: Once I post things, I can clear my head again...:)

Just wondering, did it work?

Was posting this cathartic and were you then able to clear it from your head?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi