Technology as a barrier to social interaction

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168138 by
There is also the fact that news, updates at an extremely fast rate in todays world.

You can actually miss things if your not paying attention.

Still, I havent really seen this barrier to social interaction really.

I am not sure exactly how such a proposal is being measured.

I am not overly sociable within random groups, and my friends do not sit on there phone texting while I am talking to them.

If we are not talking, they may be on there phone, but keep in mind that todays phones are in fact computers, and they are not simply texting. I know people that actually do school work, take a look at stocks, and a myriad of other things when on the phone.

Some people I know run there business by there phone, or rather, that phone is integral to there business, and I am not just referring to drug dealers.

Ones phone, and the ability to go online and text, is much more intricate than simple "talking crap" on a phone.

Now, if one is simply using it as a form of escapism, I can only imagine that one is bored with there life and social circles and perhaps should try to get out of a comfort zone that allows them to mindlessly self indulge.

So in a real way, I could say one should not change how what they are doing on there phone, but off it, and that comfort,boredom and laziness are barriers to social interaction.

Many people do not do things worth talking about these days. They are living vicariously through other people online...

That is not technologies fault though.

People just arent doing things worth talking about in there social groups.

If what was going on, or being said, was more interesting, then it wouldnt be hard to fix ones attention on something.

In todays world, attention is the new oil, it is a finite resource in which one has many things competing for ones attention. Moreso than any other time in life. Just look at Reliahs resignation.

Like any resource one must prioritize accordingly, as in todays world ideas, and thoughts travel at the speed of light and are beamed directly into devices that connect you socially to the world over and it updates at an extremely accelerated rate. Ideas compete for our attention and this has always been true, its just at a much more apparent in todays world.

This is not a bad thing, and sure, I suppose it could be getting abused, but people will abuse anything, and that, hasnt changed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #168144 by J_Roz
I have seen and found that this very subject is drastically changing our social interaction.

At the store I work at, we have signs all over the place stating, "We will not wait on you if you are on your cell phone".

People genuinely get angry at us when we politely point to the sign and wait for them to finish thier conversation. I was even called the "gestapo" at one point. I looked at the customer and asked her if she even knew what that meant. Which she didn't.

Text writing for papers is also getting very bad. People have forgotten how to actually write sentences, that they have adjectives, verbs, subjects, predicates. I even I have a hard time reading them from time to time.

I own an iPhone and I do use it for a lot of things, it's a great tool, however my husband also got an iPhone when he saw how much I used mine, now when we go out to dinner I take our phones and set them aside, only answering if there is a page from the PD or if a student texts me. Otherwise we tend to sit on our phones and not enjoy dinner together.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently

More
9 years 5 months ago #168175 by Edan

Jedi_Roz wrote: Text writing for papers is also getting very bad. People have forgotten how to actually write sentences, that they have adjectives, verbs, subjects, predicates. I even I have a hard time reading them from time to time.

It's not just students :dry:

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
9 years 5 months ago #168179 by J_Roz
Very true....:-(

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168180 by

Text writing for papers is also getting very bad. People have forgotten how to actually write sentences, that they have adjectives, verbs, subjects, predicates. I even I have a hard time reading them from time to time.

Hmm, this cannot be blamed on technology though. Either teachers are accepting such work, which is poor teaching, or something else is going on. Proper sentence structure, is a skill that shouldnt diminish because of technology.

I own an iPhone and I do use it for a lot of things, it's a great tool, however my husband also got an iPhone when he saw how much I used mine, now when we go out to dinner I take our phones and set them aside, only answering if there is a page from the PD or if a student texts me. Otherwise we tend to sit on our phones and not enjoy dinner together.

See, this is in a sense, still a problem. Abstinence, does not equal self control to me. I dont answer my phone at dinner because its dinner. I value my time with my wife, end of story. If I had to have my phone taken from me, then I have lost control, and need to get back to the point that I can have my phone in my pocket and not answer it if it vibrates( I hate text notification sounds).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168184 by
One thing I have noticed though, is that cursive writing seems to have become an endangerd form of communication since the rise of technology.

They dont even teach it in school, well, around me anyway anymore.

Not sure that it really matters though, just an observation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #168208 by Cyan Sarden

Khaos wrote: One thing I have noticed though, is that cursive writing seems to have become an endangerd form of communication since the rise of technology.

They dont even teach it in school, well, around me anyway anymore.

Not sure that it really matters though, just an observation.

There was an article on this in a Swiss newspaper yesterday: http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/31124604

It's in German - but to summarize it: they want to get rid of cursive writing in the German speaking part of Switzerland. Instead, the kids are supposed to learn some sort of basic handwriting that is first taught unconnected and can later be extended to a connected type of handwriting (the latter, I'm guessing, won't be happening).

My handwriting had become shockingly bad as I almost never used it. Now that I have to grade papers, it has improved a bit again, but my students still sometimes make fun of me because my handwriting on the whiteboard looks as though it was written by someone forced to use his non-dominant hand :-)

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi