Here and Now

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167429 by
Here and Now was created by
One of my main meditation practices is "awareness" meditation (just follow each exhaled-breath).

I'm trying to get better at "live in the moment", but it's and on-going challenge!

I do tend to over-think things - what might happen - instead of just go with the flow...

What grounds you to this moment?

What insights have you found helpful to enjoy this moment.

I often think of Rafiki from "the Lion King" and his joke about the past and present...

“Life is a preparation for the future; and the best preparation for the future is to live as if there were none.”
― Albert Einstein

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167441 by
Replied by on topic Here and Now
I too think of Rafiki (I often tell people that when I'm old I want to be like a combination of Yoda, Rafiki, and Gandalf. Staff and all. lol). I've never had a lot of difficulty living in the moment. I may not truely 'live' every moment, but I don't let the future weigh on me.

There's a quote, I don't remember who it is, but it helps me a lot. "Plan like you'll live forever, live like you'll die tomorrow." I think about that a lot.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167444 by
Living in the now is very good, and where we all must live and make decisions based upon. However, that does not mean to not be mindful of the past, and what certain decisions, yielded certain outcomes etc. We all have to weight our decisions the best we can, and make decisions that would benefit us. If you get to caught up in possibly scenario w, x, y, and z, nothing will ever be accomplished. You can not predict everything. One good thing about humans is that we are able to adapt. We've been adapting for an eternity. Be mindful of the past, and future consequences, but do not let that fear / worry / concern halt living in the present.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167457 by
“Look to the future and your eyes cannot shut. Look to the past and you can’t open them. Live in the moment, and you can blink.”:- Tai-Da Vrikaurvan (me)

It is important to live in the moment but it is also healthy to now and again look back or look forward. It can be nice to look back at treasured memories. It is good to be reminded of things we did wrong. It can be fun to wonder what the future holds. However it is not good to get so deep with looking back and forward that you get trapped within it. I love looking back at when my daughter was born. How I lost my mobile phone and it ended up in the toy box covered in chocolate. I like to wonder what she will do when she grows up. But at the same time I don’t want to be trapped in endless visions. My daughter is growing now, there are thing she does now that is important for me to experience. If I am living in the past, living in the future I might miss something in the moment.

We are never in the past, and we are never in the future. Our being exists only in the moment and with eaching passing second we move with it. I cannot change my past, I cannot see my future. But I can act in the now. I can live and act now and do so through every second. I can use what I have learned and mold my future by how I act in the moment. But to live fully in the moment I must act on what is happening now. And not act on what has or might happen.

If I look to the future I lose site of the moment as I get too focused on what is to come. This may cause me to become impatient so I lose site of the now and may miss important things I may need to know now. Also there may be something I have done that has a consequence yet to come, therefor I may keep focused on it so I can try to avoid or change it. If I look to the past there may be memories I do not want to remember. I may feel guilty or sad for someone or something I have lost. This means I might keep it shut off from my life so I don’t want to look back and move on from it.

By living in the moment I can go with the flow, act in the moment and take things as they come to me. It means I can follow your nature and remain at peace with myself as I wont be caught up in the wonders of the future or the past. Although I live in the moment this does not mean I shut myself fully from it.

The has much I can and should learn from but not let it change who I am in the moment. The future is something I should also not shut myself completely from. The future can be good to look at. But I should be mindful as they can affect who I am in the moment right now. I should be mindful of the future and the past. Keep memories treasured and have ideas for the future but not to expect anything to happen. I should be at peace with myself and go with the flow. Living in the moment keeps me at peace with myself and lets me focus on the world around me as it is right now.

The importance of now I take very serious. I cannot change my past, I cannot see my future. But I can act in the now. I can live and act now and do so through every second. But to live fully in the moment I must act on what is happening now. And not act on what has or might happen. The point I think is important is not letting emotion cloud judgment. I wont lie it happens I can let my own emotion state affect my judgment on a situation. I believe is imporant is to look beyond emotional judgment and act according to what we feel is right in the moment.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi