Virtues or Choices?

More
9 years 5 months ago #166155 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Virtues or Choices?
It is what you make of it, Wescli?

rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166163 by
Replied by on topic Virtues or Choices?
Wescli and Alexandre make great points about the subject. Thank you both. :)

Alexandre: Yes, everything has its time and place. We cannot hurry or slow down "when it is time", but we can choose how we act and wait IN that time. For example, you love grapes and olives (ps so do I and I would love to taste some fresh ones in Italy...) and since you do not live where you can get them year around you get to wait. You choose to wait patiently, even if you get upset about it, because if you didn't, you would drive/fly over there to get them or go to a store that sells them year around. But you don't (or least indicated you didn't) because you choose to wait for the right time.

Wescli: That is an awesome essay and example of circumstances that force a choice. He could have freaked out that he was locked up instead he chose to be excited about seeing the one person he really wanted to see again. Now, had that person not been there, then there is a high chance he would have panicked. The next sentence I was going to write actually speaks more to what you both are talking about. I was going to say, "Most would not have the ability to calm themselves and think rationally."

So to both of your points and to mine: In normal situations patience is a choice we GET to make. In other situations, depending on circumstances, patience becomes a virtue of how well we've trained our minds and prepared ourselves for such instances.

So, I say Patience is a Virtue AND a choice.

More
9 years 5 months ago #166165 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Virtues or Choices?

rugadd wrote: It is what you make of it, Wescli?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are referring to? :blush:

If you could be more specific I will try my best to answer. :)

I think what I am confused about is are you referring to how it reminded me of the Locke Essay or how I feel it could be a matter of perspective based on the situation? Or both? :unsure:

Monastic Order of Knights

More
9 years 5 months ago #166171 by rugadd
Matter of perspective.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #166174 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Virtues or Choices?
Is patience a virtue or is patience is a choice?

Sure, it can be a matter of perspective. I don’t see why it couldn’t be at least. Mainly because it is possible to be put in a position where it is not a choice but a reality of the situation.

I was ‘forced’ to be patient for months. I did not choose to be patient, I just had to because I was waiting on the government to get in gear and finalize documentation I needed. Whether I wanted it now or later was of no control of mine. And I could have been as impatient as I wanted and it wasn’t going to get anything done any faster. I even got annoyed and frustrated at times due to waiting and not knowing what was going on or what was happening.

My ability to be patient at that point was mute because I had no control over the situation. So I just did the best I could to accept the reality of it.

Is patience a virtue? Absolutely! But even the most virtuous have their moments of weakness or falter.

Was I being virtuous while waiting for the documentation from the government? :unsure:

Hmm…. I was waiting! :blink:

Hahahhahahhaha :laugh:

Does that help clear up what I was talking about any?

What are your thoughts about it?

Edit: to be more specific, it is not only a matter of perspective, but can be. If that makes sense? Still not sure I'm being clear... :blush:

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Wescli Wardest. Reason: Add edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166178 by

I was asked, "If patience isn't a virtue, then what is?"

It's a test we all take, choice or no choice and it's pass or fail. :)

More
9 years 5 months ago #166180 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Virtues or Choices?
:blink:

What happens if one fails it ?

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

More
9 years 5 months ago #166181 by rugadd
Well...the way I see it...

The value of our circumstances are a matter of perspective. Perceived benefits can overshadow the disappointment or frustration. An old man said to me when he got his back injured that at first he was frustrated because he had to wait for surgery to fix it. But after a while of walking around having to stare at the ground he realized he had not taken the time to really appreciate flowers before being forced to look at them.

I always thought, patience isn't needed if you can look at a crappy situation and ask "What is good about it?"

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #166182 by

Alexandre Orion wrote: :blink:

What happens if one fails it ?

Very good question...if you fail at patience I imaging you would have suffering in your life.

More
9 years 5 months ago #166184 by rugadd
No getting around suffering in life. Maybe patience curbs unnecessary self suffering...

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi