Definitions?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165609 by
Replied by on topic What is TOTJO?

Brenna wrote: Can we not all "play together" without adopting a one size fits all standardization?

I did not say we need a one size fit all standard. If you recall, at the start of all this....I was warning against it. :dry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #165615 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Definitions?
This disagreement may be misplaced. I think it would be quite odd, even offensive, if TotJO members gave such thought or discussion to the Jedi path as practiced by other groups. Who are we to define what that means for others? When we speak amongst ourselves, we're talking about this group. And even within this group, the path is not rigid. Syncretism is central.

Another point to consider. Many people in the broader Jedi community are members of multiple groups. I am a proud member of GFC, for instance. My thought is to respect the house rules of wherever I am.

That might be the best approach. Each group is doing its own work. All of it deserves respect. If we start attacking each other, that's one thing. If we don't mention Jedi realists in a post, it isn't a disrespect. We're just working our end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Brenna

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #165616 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Definitions?
Sorry, I must have misunderstood your comment here

Kitsu Tails wrote: Until we can all learn to play together, we will never have a community wide set of standards.

I have been mulling conversation over, and I keep coming back to this point...

Kitsu Tails wrote: So yes. I am afraid of TotJO becoming the flag bearer. There are quite a few good communities and groups out there asides for this place, they should be given their chance as much as TotJO has theirs.

And I have already asked you about this (my questions were below, so save you the time looking for them - and since I appeared to have wiped out my post. ACK) but Im curious. TOTJO has been the most visible group for a long time without too much grumbling. And weve been operating the same way without too much fuss on definitions or taking the other groups into account in our day to day posting.

And you talk about it being "them having their chance" not about having issues with TOTJOs particular "paths"...

Why the sudden interest on other groups and their definitions being visible and "represented" here on TOTJO? You're not the first in the last little while. Why is this an issue now?

Is this why some other members try so hard to get TOTJO to conform to their definitions. Being afraid of TOTJO?

The existence of TOTJO does not prevent communities from "having their chance", and I think the assumption that people cant find out about other groups is unfounded. I came to TOTJO first, explored other communities, and still chose to stay here.

Why do you think it is that TOTJO remains the flag bearer?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brenna.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165619 by
Replied by on topic Definitions?

Brenna wrote:
And I have already asked you about this (my questions were below, so save you the time looking for them - and since I appeared to have wiped out my post. ACK) but Im curious. TOTJO has been the most visible group for a long time without too much grumbling. And weve been operating the same way without too much fuss on definitions or taking the other groups into account in our day to day posting.

Why the sudden interest on other groups and their definitions being visible and "represented" here on TOTJO? You're not the first in the last little while. Why is this an issue now?

I did not say that the other communities needed to be represented here at totjo. I said that totjo needed to be careful on how they go about defining and standardizing their own process so as to avoid general definition.

IE: members of totjo practice Jedi as a religion known as jediism.

Vs

Jedi is a religion known as jediism

One clearly defines the stamens as totjo beliefs while the other generalizes the term "Jedi" as a religion. To alot of us...it is not.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #165620 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Definitions?

Do we claim this somewhere?

In my thousands of PMs, and hundreds of Facebook posts, I have not said that, nor have I seen that said bybany TOTJO member...

Nor have I ever seen a TOTJO member say TOTJO is the way, and in their interviews I've heard, Br. John and Akkarin go out of their way to instill that we are clearly not the voice of the community, but only a small section of it....

But, I could have missed it....:unsure:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago #165621 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Definitions?

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Brenna wrote:

I did not say that the other communities needed to be represented here at totjo. I said that totjo needed to be careful on how they go about defining and standardizing their own process so as to avoid general definition.

IE: members of totjo practice Jedi as a religion known as jediism.

Vs

One clearly defines the stamens as totjo beliefs while the other generalizes the term "Jedi" as a religion. To alot of us...it is not.

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood, thats how I thought it came across.

As Jestor pointed out we claim to be "A" Jedi Temple. And as Cabur pointed out when we speak here, we speak amongst ourselves for ourselves. As any group does. It also states very clearly that we talk about Jediism here.

You mentioned in your hypothetical situation that you're concerned about "new" people finding only TOTJO, and TOTJO being the flag bearer for the community, because other groups should be given a chance.

A chance at what? The existence of totjo does not prevent anyone from doing anything.

Forgive me, but I'm finding it difficult to understand exactly what the issue is here. Beyond the fact that TOTJO is far more visible to outsiders than other groups.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J

More
9 years 5 months ago #165627 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Definitions?
I think we should also take solace in one important idea.

If TotJO became "the home of the one true Jedi path," many members would leave and start splinter groups in protest.

I certainly would.

We had a whole discussion a few months ago involving the true Jedi way, Jedi messiahs, and futuristic armies. I don't remember too many people supporting the idea of TotJO being the one true anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

More
9 years 5 months ago #165628 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Definitions?

Cabur Senaar wrote: I don't remember too many people supporting the idea of TotJO being the one true anything.

Though trolling around the forums (in the fishing context, not the internet one) is a pretty good contender for "one true" procrastination method. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi