What is TOTJO?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #165995 by
Replied by on topic What is TOTJO?
Forgive me, but... I don't get it.

I wear something at all times too, but not for anyone but myself. I don't feel there is a need to symbolically advertise that one is Jedi, when the Jedi path in the real world is one of action. Action and behaviour speaks for itself.

How is carrying a replica saber any more than a showy affectation? What good is a lightsaber at the scene of a car crash or a house fire? I carry a penknife, a small first aid guide, a donor card, a little torch and a phone... I'm guessing they've done and stand to do more good than an imitation sci fi weapon.

Personally I thought carrying a lightsaber was an internationally recognised sign of a roleplayer... I know those of you talking about this are more than that. In a crisis presented with someone with a lightsaber and someone with some decent tools, I know which one I'd be approaching first..
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #165996 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic What is TOTJO?
Carrying a lightsaber doesn't mean I can not carry a penknife and a symbol is what you make of it.

Also, I think I stated I only wear the clip at all times(not the lightsaber itself), as a reminder to myself of what I'm working towards.

Finally, we're digressing to much.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165997 by
To be honest tzb, I wore mine before I started here because I was at an anime or comic book convention and thought "Hey, I can wear that there." So I did. I never intend for it to identify me as a Jedi. If it did they would be a lot harder to get. lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #166030 by

tzb wrote: I don't feel there is a need to symbolically advertise that one is Jedi, when the Jedi path in the real world is one of action. Action and behaviour speaks for itself.

That's exactly what I meant by the word symbol. We don't need to wear a symbol; we need to be a symbol. But becoming that symbol takes careful preparation, measured action, and thoughtful application of our abilities. We don't necessarily need to be instantly recognized as Jedi because of what we wear, but rather when someone sees us do something like (as in tzb's example) respond to a car crash, they say, "that's how a Jedi would handle that."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #166113 by
What is TOTJO?

I'm also a Unitarian Universalist. So it's all pretty much "Many paths, one goal." in my belief system.

I think TOTJO is simply one of those paths to take. This place allows you to start to find that path and lead you through some self reflection, with some really great people willing to help guide and ask questions to really help flesh things out.

Should you see this path is one you really want to take, then it can become more detailed in to what the person needs.

I see this as any other kind of path in the realm of Spirituality. Welcome those who are interested. Come, stay a while and talk. We can learn from each other, and if you're so inclined, we invite you to stay.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #166146 by
I'm a bit late to this party, but with regards to the defining thing brought up earlier, at TotJO we officially don't ever take any authoritative position on the definition of a Jedi. We say "This is what makes you a Jedi by our standards" and don't take much interest in what other people think, because why should we be beholden to them for our definition? We do not expect them to be beholden to us by our definition (which for TotJO is: "You are a Jedi if you complete the application and take the Simple Oath - which is a demonstration of your acceptance of our doctrine).

On the Homepage: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/ the text just above the Jedi Believe part was changed specifically to "If you wish to further your understanding of the Jedi Path then you can begin the Initiate Programme", because the training is supplemental to one's understanding of the doctrine which is what makes one a Jedi in our eyes. While the vast majority of members here do undertake the training it is not required.

We are a gathering place of like-minded people who have taken on the name of Jedi as an umbrella term for our beliefs. Like-minded means that we will all come here, and stay here (or not), for a variety of different reasons. The Temple offers each of us something different, because it means something different to each of us.

If people are worried that TotJO is ever trying to take some kind of authoritative position on what makes someone a Jedi then that person has perhaps missed the numerous instances in which we have always stated that we never do that - especially in official communication with non-Jedi news-people and students.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 6 months ago #166427 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic What is TOTJO?
A symbol....hmmm...I have a modified jedi symbol tattooed on my left forearm plain as day...when someone asks I tell them...my actions tell them more...which is the real symbol?....a picture is worth a thousand words, actions speak louder than words....both are symbols, one has more power than the other...a picture should be a symbol to yourself, your actions should be a symbol to others

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi