• User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #164794 by Brenna
No offense, but... was created by Brenna
Taken from another thread

Silvermane wrote: In the US people are so concerned about Political Correctness that everyone is offended about EVERYTHING. I'm honestly offended that people keep getting offended over stupid stuff. I'm seeing that a lot here on the site. People are walking on egg shells because they are afraid of offending someone and being attacked in a forum. It doesn't mean you seek to offend someone or say something mean just for the sake of saying it. But don't sit there and judge someone for making a true statement. There might be a better way of saying things so they don't sound like a direct insult, but sometimes people need to feel that sting of truth to pull their heads out of their collective arses.

Funny you bring this up. Ive been thinking a lot about this recently. Naturally, everyone has trigger topics that set them off, but how far do you go to avoid offense when you're being honest about an opinion.

And is it the opinion itself or the language you use? or the intention behind what youre saying?

What about people who use it as a tool to simply be offensive or passive aggressive?

And to what extent is it your responsibility to not offend, and someone elses responsibility to not BE offended?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jestor, rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164801 by
Replied by on topic No offense, but...

Brenna wrote: Naturally, everyone has trigger topics that set them off, but how far do you go to avoid offense when you're being honest about an opinion.

Giving an honest opinion is what everyone is free to do. I will not say anything derogatory, disrespectful or extremely rude to someone. Making comments about race, sex, sexual orientations anything that can be considered against our rules should be avoided.

Brenna wrote: And is it the opinion itself or the language you use? or the intention behind what youre saying?

I believe all three. You can tell someone that you disagree and believe the other person doesn't know what they are talking about in a way that can be aggresive with the intent to cause a argument/debate or in a diplomatic way to make it a simple statement. You could call someone an idiot and if you use the right language and did it with the intention of being honest and diplomatic, you could do it without offending them.

Brenna wrote: And to what extent is it your responsibility to not offend, and someone elses responsibility to not BE offended?

I think we all have to be aware of our rules and what things to avoid. Things do get heated when we get into a great debate, but we also have to know when to calm down and draw the line. On the other hand, people need to be open-minded and willing to accept what others peoples thoughts and opinions are, even if they don't agree. Certain people are making it a point to direct comments and "attack" others just to try and cause arguments.

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 6 months ago #164809 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic No offense, but...
well..... Silvermane wins I recon :woohoo:

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164813 by
Thanks ... I think?

More
9 years 6 months ago #164824 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic No offense, but...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, ren, Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #164826 by
Please tell me you recognise the irony (putting it kindly) in being bothered by people exercising their right to be bothered by things. If you really believe as you do, just put up with the fact other people's priorities and sensibilities are different to yours. The idea you should never have to face the consequences of what you say, or how you say it, is missing a fundamental aspect of human communication: empathy.

Coming to a Jedi Temple and bemoaning an expectation of basic empathy is kind of incredible.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

More
9 years 6 months ago #164828 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic No offense, but...
(language)
Warning: Spoiler!

I fully agree wtih the above quotation. Not that there's anything wrong with people getting offended in itself, it's just that nothing productive comes out of the modern style of "offense". If something--some change, some outrage-based society-fixing--came out of it, I'd be less inclined to roll my eyes at folk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Gisteron

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164830 by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpNRw7snmGM

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 6 months ago #164831 by ren
Replied by ren on topic No offense, but...

steamboat28 wrote: (language)

Warning: Spoiler!

I fully agree wtih the above quotation. Not that there's anything wrong with people getting offended in itself, it's just that nothing productive comes out of the modern style of "offense". If something--some change, some outrage-based society-fixing--came out of it, I'd be less inclined to roll my eyes at folk.

The reality of people being offended "pour un oui ou pour un non" is they have absolutely nothing else of interest to do with their lives. it makes them feel like "an individual".

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 6 months ago #164832 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic No offense, but...
tzb, that would be ironic, if we were to come up and say how offended we are by everyone being offended or by people respecting the sensibilities of others. Now, I can't speak for the rest of my camp, but I can say that I am in no way offended by it and that if I was it would be of no concern nor relevance to anyone. I, for one, hold that it is counterproductive to both honour the "I'm offended"-whining as much as bringing it up is in the first place. This is not a hard position based on positively indicative points of data, but rather a rejection of the claim that there is any point to it or that the statement is anything other than a "coward's battlecry" for the sole purpose of silencing the voices one wishes not to hear. I am not offended by it. I just don't give a poo and as Mr. Jillette said, it would be disrespectful of me if I did.

M. Tullius Cicero wrote: "Therefore, there is not a friendship, where when the one wants not to hear the truth, the other then is willing to lie."

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, ren,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi