Jedi Funerals

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163651 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Funerals
There are numerous ecological disposition and burial service providers. Plain pine boxes. Ashes in sapling root bundle (see: http://www.beatree.com/). Declining the formaldehyde procedure, etc. Many Muslims wrap the corpse in linen, and with no other preparation for burial other than washing, bury the body.

Excarnation is an ancient practice (see Catal Huyuk in what in now Turkey).

In Medieval Europe, the bones of monks were assembled for disposition in the monastery sub-basement Ossuary.

At my other spiritual home, the pressure is on to construct an Ossuary on the church grounds (we're not getting any younger). I like the idea of my skull looking out over the standing stones (see: www.4qf.org).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #164487 by
I am just hoping I get a funeral because not very many people respect or are nice to me. I only have a feeling that you guys will have one because you are more noticeable than me. Good luck in your future.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201852 by
I was at a funeral today and thought about this thread. The funeral I was at was Catholic and was as far from being about the deceased as I thought a funeral could get. All they talked about was God.

As Jedi I think that a funeral that talks about the deceased more would be best. Maybe talk a little bit about rejoining the Force, but only a little.

When I go make it more like a Viking funeral. Cremate me (but please not on a boat with a virgin) then have a giant feast and toast to me and tell stories about me. Eat until you can't get up to leave and then fall asleep with a smile on your face thinking about good times.

More
8 years 7 months ago #201868 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Jedi Funerals
I've thought about this a lot lately - as I don't talk about my believes a lot outside my immediate family, I think it would be nice if a priest (or someone else) told the attending people a bit about the belief system of Jediism, a bit about my life and then proceeded to cheer up the attendees with a few jokes :-) What happens afterwards is up to the people organizing the "event" - traditionally, it's off to the nearest restaurant here and celebrating the deceased's life with a good meal and plenty to drink.

as for cremation vs. a traditional burial: it's become customary here to cremate the dead. The bodies are basically shipped to a central crematorium and the ashes are returned in a bio-degradable urn (I'm not kidding). I personally think that's the way to do it.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201877 by
I hope that by the time I die I'll be 100 y.o. and that's enough time for Jedi Way to become at least a little established. And I hope that there will be people who will value giving me a right funeral.

Under these 2 assumptions, I'd like my body to be burned on the open fire (although this must stink, I don't know how vikings tolerated this and how Luke was supposed to tolerate open-fire cremation of his father's body). The ashes shot into space and some little sign that I lived on the Earth to remain. If I am to earn any honor, than near the place where I earn it, a small sign.

There was a beautiful fantasy rite in franchise, for commemorating Jedi. There was some place where, with each deceased Jedi, one firefly was let out. And they formed a stream. A giant lightsaber, in a way.

Of course, there is so much to be done to deserve that sort of commemoration.

P.S. Dissolving the body and leaving just a robe is a fine way, but I doubt it'll be realistic in about 10K years, with current pace of evolution :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #216658 by Lykeios Little Raven
Replied by Lykeios Little Raven on topic Jedi Funerals

Cabur Senaar wrote: How would you like a Jedi funeral to proceed? Disposal of the body is not the big question. My friend wants the Viking burning boat. I am interested in the Tibetan sky burial. Not that important. Tell me about the structure. Who speaks? What is said? How long or short? What is the intended mood? Tell me the story of the Jedi funeral that comes to your mind.

I'd want my closest family members and friends to speak first. If I do have a member of some clergy there I would appreciate someone that understands my beliefs intimately. It could be a Jedi or a Hellenic "priest/priestess" as long as the person speaking or saying prayers for me knew me.

I would not want just anyone saying things about me. It's not so much that I am ashamed of things I've done, just that some people I know do not fully understand why I've done certain things. That is ok with me. I do not need everyone to understand me. I'd like it, but that just isn't possible in the world as I know it.

In any event, I'd prefer the "ceremony" to be solemn but uplifting followed by a celebration. Jokes and levity (even at my expense) would be welcome as long as they are said out of loving hearts. I could appreciate just about any funeral that has both tears and laughter.

Thank you for posting this topic Cabur Senaar!

In Earnest,

Adam KW King

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #216663 by
I think I'd like to be buried and have a tree planted above me, it seems appropriate. Also we had a tree planted above my placenta when I was born, so it would be a nice way to go.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #216870 by
Personally, I would prefer a funeral pyre. As a kid, I had a dream that my body was being burned into ashes and then blown away along with the wind. It was a natural feeling. Years later, when I saw Return of the Jedi where Vader's funeral taken place, I was captivated.

As for the wake, I rather have a celebration than a grieving ceremony. I read several accounts during my research on afterlife that spirits couldn't move into the Light because of grieving living people - that amount of energy held the spirits down. One celebrity who died years and years ago couldn't move on because of her grieving fans; through a medium, she screamed at her fans to get over themselves and let her go.

A funeral pyre and a joyful celebration - yep!

More
8 years 3 months ago #216887 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Jedi Funerals

peace wrote: I am just hoping I get a funeral because not very many people respect or are nice to me. I only have a feeling that you guys will have one because you are more noticeable than me. Good luck in your future.

this post hurt my feelings

its a good thing i dont have many

but still, i hope things have gotten better for you since this day?

if you even wanna chat feel free to PM

Goken wrote: When I go make it more like a Viking funeral. Cremate me (but please not on a boat with a virgin)

youre skipping the best part!!

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi