The ebola situation

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163093 by
Replied by on topic The ebola situation
Unless it is, or becomes airborne as some suggest.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #163095 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic The ebola situation

Alexandre Orion wrote: If everyone consumed like the average citizen of India, our planet could support about 18 thousand million of us.

I would love to see those calculations, please. I have reasons to estimate there would be a shortage of fresh water, oxygen, sodium and carbon dioxide if we were 18 billion people. And that is indeed ignoring parasite and disease plagues and stress.
Source?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #163098 by

Revan Falton wrote: Unless it is, or becomes airborne as some suggest.

Who? Got a link?

Have you read Tom Clancy novels?
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

More
9 years 6 months ago #163101 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic The ebola situation

Gisteron wrote:

Alexandre Orion wrote: If everyone consumed like the average citizen of India, our planet could support about 18 thousand million of us.

I would love to see those calculations, please. I have reasons to estimate there would be a shortage of fresh water, oxygen, sodium and carbon dioxide if we were 18 billion people. And that is indeed ignoring parasite and disease plagues and stress.
Source?

Ask Sir David Attenborough for the figures. I don't need statistical proof to consider it plausible.

I don't think you took all of the premises into consideration before you got out the "fallacy filter". It might be wrong, but it certainly not wrong that we can't support the population now and deplete our resources as we are.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #163121 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The ebola situation
Some discussion already had about Ebola here;

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Health-physical-fitness-and-wellbeing/107570-ebola

Something to consider;
"If someone with Ebola symptoms sneezes or coughs and the saliva or mucus hits your eyes, nose, or mouth, that can transmit the disease, but this is rare, and it's mainly a concern for health workers. It's also not what people mean by "airborne"."

Virologists are down playing it because it has a very low R number (reproduction number) compared to other diseases and because it doesn't target the lungs directly and I guess it must not survive very well in saliva (for it not to be considered airborne).

Here is the source of that pic, and some explanation.

I think it is a rather useless figure though for something like this, because it's not very well known and relatively new.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163129 by

Alexandre Orion wrote: Earth isn't over-crowded. If everyone consumed like the average (average meaning not the richest nor the poorest, just in the middle) citizen of India, our planet could support about 18 thousand million of us. So, it isn't a problem of us being too numerous. The problem is that we don't all consume resources like the average citizen of India ... We have to have cars, iPods, hair-dryers and Kentucky Fried Chicken ... That is what makes us need three or four additional planets-worth of resources.

Epidemics wouldn't be nature rounding down our numbers to something more convenient ; it would be our screwed-up value system coming back to bite us in the arse. :S

Quality of life versus quantity of life...an interesting consideration. I think that perhaps your comparison might be better if you specified what the average citizen of India consumed exactly.

If epidemics aren't natures way of thinning the herd, so to speak, what do you consider them to be?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163367 by
I think ebola is a modern day problem now and that we should all be careful when you fly to other states and make sure you wash your hands after you have touched something dirty like the bathroom. Since ebola is airborne, be careful when you ride on airplanes or live in apartments where there are vents in each one. I wouldn't want it and all of you probably wouldn't want it either. My advice is stay safe, healthy and cautious while in public because I hate for our group and family torn apart by one big world issue.

More
9 years 6 months ago #163368 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Re:The ebola situation
Ebola isn't airborne.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #163370 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic The ebola situation

peace wrote: I think ebola is a modern day problem now and that we should all be careful when you fly to other states and make sure you wash your hands after you have touched something dirty like the bathroom. Since ebola is airborne, be careful when you ride on airplanes or live in apartments where there are vents in each one. I wouldn't want it and all of you probably wouldn't want it either. My advice is stay safe, healthy and cautious while in public because I hate for our group and family torn apart by one big world issue.

This is part of the reason for the panic. Misinformation.

This is great advice for avoiding infections in general but ebola... and I quote from the WHO site:

"Ebola spreads through human-to-human transmission via direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and with surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids."

Ie. Not airborne. you have to have been directly in physical contact with an infected person and their fluids.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #163371 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The ebola situation
Airborne is a technical distinction, and not to be confused with practical understanding..... such that direct contact with secretions means Ebola can be transmitted through sneezing, and some coughing - if at close range.

That contrasts with some virus types that are tough enough and small enough to float around in tiny droplets for long periods ie airborne. Ebola is technically not airborne, but so deadly that its treated as if it were by healthcare workers because for them the distinction is academic and not practical (being at such close range).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi