Inmate complains that prison 'bigots' are preventing him from practising his JEDI religion

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
9 years 11 months ago #145493 by Whyte Horse
The accommodation that needs to be setup for a practising Jedi behind bars might include:
1. Access to the initiate program
2. Access to a jedi journal
3. Access to sermons

This is all very easy to do with a computer and internet but I don't believe inmates are allowed either of these. I wonder if one could do all this offline, the way correspondence courses work. Make it into a self-contained book and drop it off at the prisons.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145510 by
While I appreciate the input, I do believe that access to the IP is completely unnecessary, you do not have to complete the IP to be a practicing Jedi.

As per a journal, I wonder if you mean a personal journal ?? if so there's nothing stopping a prisoner writing down his thoughts, pens and paper are provided by HM Prisons for the purpose of letter writing, this could be used and saved in journalistic fashion.

Access to sermons is tricky, though I'm sure that printed copies of the texts from the forum could be made available upon request

Internet access would be forbidden as it is against security measures I believe.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 11 months ago #145515 by Jestor
For research oon another matter, our state and county inmates are not allowed on-line access...

Computers, sometimes, as there is educational software they may want to study...

But no internet...

TOTJO, nor any site, isn't necessary to be a Jedi....

How do you [anyone] think those of us on "the path" did it before on-line stuff?

The internet has little to do with how I am a Jedi, I still have to live and practice it...

But, the internet has provided a wider variety of resources...

As well as a community...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145548 by
Another thing I think that is worth pointing out here is "Acceptance" a necessary quality for the budding Jedi.

In other words, accepting the fact they have broken the law, accepting the fact that they are being punished for an offence, accepting the fact that they have to make do with what they have and that at the end of the day it is down to their own actions.

I can't think of a better place for personal reflection, you do a lot of time soul searching when you are locked in a cell on your own (and yes i speak from personal experience back in my wild youth days, no I'm not embarrassed about it, but I'm not proud either, if anyone wishes to talk about it they can PM me), at the end of the day, though I wasn't at the time, I see nothing that would have stood in the way of my beliefs as a Jedi or practice of the faith during the time I spent inside.

Like I said before this is some Teenager in a Young offenders institute trying to get a bit of extra attention by writing to the papers for a laugh, it's a shame really because there are so many other "good" reasons that TotJO and Jediism should be recognized for, not sensational enough for the local rags though no doubt.

More
9 years 11 months ago #145556 by Alethea Thompson
It depends on the prison system, in America, I think many may allow you the use of the internet.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #148234 by
I suppose that in most countries, prisoners have access to "regular"mail, you know with pen, paper and letterbox. A councilor(or any goodwill person) could send the IP material and the inmate can post his exercises by mail.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by . Reason: correcting my poor english

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148268 by
I suppose it's not really relevant, and I am not asking to judge or slander them.
MLK and Ralph Waldo Emerson have gone to jail before after all.
but I am curious as to why they are being incarcerated.

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
9 years 10 months ago #148287 by Whyte Horse

Renny wrote: I suppose it's not really relevant, and I am not asking to judge or slander them.

The two main reasons people go to jail are:
1.) Saying things
2.) Having plants

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148290 by

Whyte Horse wrote:

Renny wrote: I suppose it's not really relevant, and I am not asking to judge or slander them.

The two main reasons people go to jail are:
1.) Saying things
2.) Having plants

Right. :dry:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148350 by
While the DM article might make light of the path we have chosen to follow, it does bring attention to the organization. I found the TOTJO a while back through something similar, I think. Although I do have to agree that having one's faith or chosen spiritual path recognized is not necessarily a requisite of practicing it, I do think that having "validation" is a comfort to some and possibly eases the hardships of following the Jedi way a bit...maybe...

Or maybe I'm wrong.