Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • disconnection from and reconnection with the Force... (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: How can I, 26 y.o. russian programmer, help change the world for the better? Can I somehow direct my professional life towards aiding people? Should this duty be outside of the job? Better help my family and support my friends? Or should I just perfect myself until the Force shows me the opportunity? Should I change profession which took so much of my time and which I am good at to do something more useful for society? I've only just started studying the way of the Jedi, so I can't really help you with the deeper meaning of the Jedi way. What I've learned from Joseph Campbell's talks so far, is the following: - there is no deeper meaning to life. We're all 'just here'. Not having to look for meaning when there, in reality, just isn't any, can be a liberating experience. - we have a choice of how we want to participate in this life, which is full of ups and downs, light and darkness, pain and joy. We can be jerks or we can try to live decently. Not being a jerk doesn't mean you have to change the world. That you care so much about your family already tells me that you're living a decent life. You're already contributing to society by doing so. You're leading by example, which your family, your co-workers and your neighbors will notice. Why not let it be at that for now? As you get older, you'll probably notice that you have more resources and you can use those for causes that extend past your immediate surroundings, but not now. So what? Few of us will fundamentally change society and I personally don't feel there's a point in trying unless you feel that you have abundant resources to do so. Which brings me to how we (as teachers and learn coaches) usually approach questions like this: 1. Work with your resources. Check, if what you have right now (in terms of time, energy to do things, money etc.) is enough to continue your life as it is. If it isn't, find out what's missing. If it's time and / or energy you're lacking: reduce whatever you're doing until you have created a balance. If it's money, seek professional advice (your bank, debt counselling, job counselling etc.). 2. Identify your goals in life. Find out what it is you want to do in life (which is the phase you're in right now). Set realistic goals that are manageable with your resources. Setting goals that are too high for you to reach creates frustration and depression. Setting goals that are too low can leave your life empty. Again: there probably isn't a meaning to life and if your resources don't allow it, a simple goal might be to live your life as an example of decency to your immediate surroundings. 3. Once you've identified attainable goals in your life, find out how to reach them Imagine yourself standing on a scale of one to 10. Where do you believe you're at right now in terms of realising your goals? If you're at a five, for example, what would it need for you to be able to move on to a six or seven? What could happen that would set you back to 4? And what do you believe it'll take for you to reach 10? Then take the steps to reach your six. After that, reach your 7. etc. always keeping your resources in mind. If this type of counselling appeals to you, you might also want to look for a coach in your region. This can't be done over the internet in the long run. Where the Jedi way can help you right now: showing others kindness will mean that you'll also be shown kindness. This is a great feeling. Showing others kindness for you, at this moment, can simply consist of smiling at them and treating everyone around you fairly. Try to relax (perhaps using a relaxation technique), once you're in tune with the Force again, start meditating and don't stop. Set a fixed time of the day, download some guided mindfulness meditations, get the basics and do it every day, for the rest of your life. This will give you structure and will, over time, have a positive effect on your inner self. Peter
    • Is A Fertilized Human Egg A Person? (Last post by Arkayik)
    • Good points all, on a very challenging subject. I did fail to attempt to understand in my hurry to be understood, and I apologize for mode of response, it was not as it might have been. TZB, you are absolutely correct about the knock-on, that I don't at all deny. I acknowledge that this is a matter fraught with pain on all sides, and all points of view expressed are valid and held without malice nor ill intent... There is so much to be said on this, but I don't seek to change anyone's point of view, nor do I have the eloquence to do so.
    • Ghosts! (Last post by Adder)
    • My view is if there is something supernatural that it might exist as a strata of energy which can absorb the energetic imprint of everything, it might thus be the only thing which remains of someones mind/body upon death. Further I'd like to think 'ghost' type phenomena is when that energy is picked up by a living person and either interpreted as various things. I think it less likely to carry consciousness, but who knows, its just a loose framework to work with. Unfortunately I have hardly little ghost interaction in the popular sense, but some interesting experiences which tend to reinforce my framework (obviously!) to some extent. I think the trick is that most detection is actually self created, but I choose it could be created upon a base genuine supernatural signal. The delusional aspect probably gets worse when people seek it out or surround it with a narrative, because I'd bet the subconscious starts actively building around that narrative to explain anything which might be genuine.... hence my very open framework. I'm only interested in the raw signal (if it exists), and not anything my brain might dress it up in in an effort to interpret - something I think would be inevitable to some extent anyway.
    • Advice (Last post by Arkayik)
    • Quote: What would a true Jedi do if he was being manipulated, bullied and walked all over? (Apart from not let it happen in the first place) Please feel free to share how this is affecting you, without going into details which might compromise your privacy... Your safety and well being are of paramount concern. All of us here will listen and share if our experiences can be of assistance. We may not have the answers, but sometimes the act of sharing helps you to clarify what you want to do about the situation. TotJO also has clergy who can likely be of great assistance to you with detailed advice. Those kinds of details would likely be best handled by messages if you can get it working on your phone...
    • Can mindfulness change the way you eat (Last post by Json)
    • I started a journey over a year ago to eat better. Eating mindfully was part of it. I found it amazing at the crap we stuff into our bodies without a second thought. Along with paying attenion to the moment of consumption I started reading labels. At first I was like OK it has all this crap in it... then I started thinking... wow I have all this crap in me. So I changed my intake. I have not had a sugar drink in over a year and I must say it has had the biggest effect on my enjoyment of food. I can taste so much more. I also have my "hunger" under control. I do not have food cravings and if I have a hunger pain it is because my body if running low on fuel! :)
    • Philosophy and the Sciences class (Last post by Edan)
    • I have to be honest and say I haven't been able to do the work.. I thought I could, and ordinarily I could, but my day to day work is long days right now and it's made me too tired to think :(
    • Too much focus on individual words? (Last post by Json)
    • Words? I love words. They are the brush stokes of communication. They are so plainly written with so much hidden in them. We take what we want to see from them. Notice the sentence, We take what we want from them, we do not always take what was given in them. Emotions are much harder to convey in words and that is why I love them. I love writing and hiding the emotion so plainly in a lyric then tie them together for a message. I see it like dance. We dance to music not a single note. We do not look at a painting and question a brush stroke. Enter, the internet and message boards. Misunderstandings and arguements have been going on since their creation. Reason being is we, as humans, have a complex way of communication, far beyond words. The words are just the paint yet our actions and motions during delivery would be the brush that paints the picture. This makes the internet and forums a very poor tapestry for painting with words. Is there a way around this problem? No not really, not yet. So be honest and straight forward. If you feel someone insults you ask them if they meant to do so. This is harder said than done because of egos and a natural reaction to defend. I guess we just keep pushing forward. :) Just my 2 cents.
    • Critical Thinking! (Last post by Khaos)
    • My mother taught me critical thinking. Not any formal schooling. I teach my son. Best not to rely to much on outside institutions I find. I dont think the education system needs to get better so much as families and friends need to encourage such skills. Of course, the education system has some major flaws, but even if it was a perfect, well oiled machine, it would not be handling the whole of my childs education.
    • The Balancing Force - a Jedi Reading of The Jade P... (Last post by tzb)
    • The Balancing Force - a Jedi reading of The Jade Pivot Written on 31st October 2014 I thought I'd give a Jedi interpretation of the Yü Shû King, by Hsüan-yang Dze, also known as The True Classic of the Pivot of Jade, delivered by the Heaven-Honoured One, Who produces Universal Transformation by the Sound of His Thunder. This short Taoist text is central to religious Taoism and is part of many religious Taoist services. It also provides a brief, practical guide to those who would become one with the Tao. The purpose of the text is, the author tells us, "to teach men to discipline and refine their spirit", in line with a belief in the Tao. I feel this has value for us as Jedi and our central belief in the Force. As such, my Jedi reading follows. ----- 1 The Force is transcendent. The Force is impossible to know directly, and can't be adequately described except by itself. You can't see or hear it; all you see or hear are things. Things come, things go, but the Force is that which is beyond mere things, and remains constant throughout even these seemingly universal transitions. Until you understand the transcendent nature of the Force, you can't begin to approach knowledge of it. 2 Difficulty is valuable. If you wish to know the Force, you must approach it with sincerity. To maintain this knowledge of the Force once you have it, you must be silent. If you wish to use the Force, you must be gentle. If you're sincere about the Force, you'll look stupid to others. Similarly, cultivating the silence required to remain aware of the Force will look like you're unable to speak. Acting gently enough to use the Force looks like a lack of ability. However, if you can do these three things and truly know the Force, you will transcend your body, transcend mere knowledge, transcend even your notion of "self" and become one with the Force. 3 Intellect is limited. Even a passing knowledge of the Force is enough to understand one's intellect can't give the complete picture of it. Likewise, one who understands the Force is naturally valiant in action, without having to think about it. Finally, working with the Force reveals tremendous subtleties to everything, without engaging the thinking process. So understanding these subtleties, one attains an air of intelligence. In being valiant by nature, the air of a true Jedi Knight is acquired. And in putting aside the desire to understand everything intellectually, rather than over-thinking or worrying about everything, true wisdom is attained. This is how Jedi become one with the Force. True transcendence of one's self in the Force is something which becomes natural, with true understanding of the meaning of the Force. You can't lose it - you'll forget there was ever any other kind of understanding of reality. It is the underlying truth of all reality. 4 Ignorance is environmental (and the Force transcends it anyway). Jedi are sworn to the benefit of all life. Through service we become greater than our short lives. A belief in the Force presupposes a sort of "destiny". However we are wise and ignorant in equal, balanced measure; for knowing that destiny is the underlying truth is not enough to actually predict it in any meaningful way. We are human; we will never know the future with absolute certainty. The best way to approach this is, as the previous verse describes, recognising that intellect can't give us the complete picture. In doing so we make our ignorance a form of knowledge, and our weakness a form of strength.* Weakness and ignorance are natural for humans, but the way of the Force is also a natural current in human lives. To achieve knowledge and strength in this way, all we have to do is surrender to the current of the Force. This happens spontaneously, sometimes without intellect, will or desire, sometimes with the greatest intellect, will and desire in the world. The conditions for its realisation cannot be manufactured, because the Force is not predictable by human intellect, and thus appears inherently spontaneous. This spontaneity is even more mysterious than the understanding it imparts in us. This spontaneity is the true nature of the Force. The Force can't be known through conventional, coarse means. It can never be reduced, compromised, cheapened. This is why it is supreme. ----- *My interpretation of this passage: We give up self-destructive habits like over-thinking and worry, and instead trust in the Force and the path we're taking as the right one in each moment, whether that be moving straight ahead, turning left or right, or retreating. We accept the moment and stop obsessing over the future or the past. We accept our one life has one un-branching course, not many, however habitually we imagine we might have acted differently.
    • Be water, my friend (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • Yes ... I was just reading that. 98. ;) Of course, I've been reading it in the original French ... B) :blink: :lol: :woohoo: :laugh:

There are 241 visitors, 9 guests and 24 members online (2  are in chat): Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jon, Jedi_Roz, Nakis, Adder, Proteus, Rosalyn J, Llama Su, Archon, Silvermane, tzb, babyblueyes247, Ecthalion, Cabur Senaar, Revan Falton, jheitzenrater, Tarran, Logahan, Andrew Miller, Macana, Fatbauer, Swanp1988, firewalkerx, Cyan Sarden, Tex, Arkayik, RaB, fredogaston, ChrisPeppas, Rychveldir.

Follow Us