Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • An Answer for Unification- please read I know it's... (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • Quote: We certainly want to help the lost find their way. How do they go about communing with this community? What an amusing notion that a degree earned through the Internet has no value. That the knowledge and skills gained don't have any applications in every day life. Think of all those deluded people who've earned college degrees facilitated by the Internet. All those useless masters and doctorate diplomas. What's amazing is that these people are able to get jobs and fake being nurses, school principals, accountants and administrators - to name a few. These days, there is no guarantee that a "real" diploma from a well-known, accredited institution will have a whole lot of value. Or two or three from two or three institutions ... How many Masters' degrees are going un-validated in daily Life because their 'market area' is saturated, or because "that sort" of knowledge doesn't fit the current value paradigm. How many Masters' or even PhDs in History, Philosophy, Litterature &c are now trying to pay back their student loans with a minimum wage job ? Let's not even talk about MFAs. :( -- I live in that camp ... Personally, I feel that our diplomas DO have value - real value - in teaching us how to approach Life's contrarieties. They also aid us in approaching Life's Joys. The whole value of learning anything at all is to permit us to experience Life better. It is not necessarily to have a great, fulfilling job, with great pay, that lets us live in a great house, drive a great car and show off all the outer signs of success : these are false values. Also, becoming an "expert" in something is only valu-able when one maintains the humility to not be so seduced by the notoriety that our fame exceeds our service ... Our "Internet diplomas" may not have "recognised value" yet ... but they will. At least they are accessible to people who may not have the access, occasion or disposition to any other kind. We do live in a society founded on competition and exclusivity. It may take still a couple of generations for that to turn over, but there's no reason for us not to get started on collaborative and inclusive learning NOW. ;) I would now support Alethea's proposal for a collaborative book project between our diverse communities (though I recall a bit not being very in-favour of the Jedi Compass Project before).
    • Course Comms (Last post by tzb)
    • Discussion 0 - Introduction to the Monomyth now available: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/the-h...tion-to-the-monomyth PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE COURSE COMMS THREAD
    • American Jedi (Last post by Brenna)
    • I am looking forward to this documentary, Ive followed its progress from when I heard that he would be filming at the gathering and the knightings and I'm intrigued to see how the subject matter is approached. Particularly as I have seen his previous work and am aware that there is a lot of focus on the outwardly visible, and dare I say, role play aspect of his subjects. Im sure that the realist community will be well portrayed though. he seems to be very genuine in his interest in alternative groups.
    • Discussion 0 - Introduction to the Monomyth (Last post by tzb)
    • [image] (click image to view full size) The Hero's Journey, otherwise known as the Monomyth, is a narrative pattern which is repeated throughout human history. It tells a single tale of a lone hero, leaving the ease and comfort of their everyday lives and facing great hardships in order to win some great prize. The hero risks everything and encounters many difficulties on the path of their adventure, but ultimately they return better, more powerful and more capable of living than before. They return as "the master of two worlds", both the world of their adventure, and of their ordinary, mundane life. The Monomyth was first codified by American scholar Joseph Campbell in his classic text The Hero wIth a Thousand Faces, first published in 1949. Campbell took a great deal of inspiration from the work of psychoanalyst Carl Jung. Jungian psychoanalysis discusses man's preoccupation with symbols and the "collective unconscious", part of human understanding which is common to all humans regardless of when or where they live. The collective unconscious represents the understanding we have "built into" our minds, something we can see through - rather than in spite of - the diverse traditions, beliefs and discoveries of our ancestors around the world. Campbell believed myth had an important purpose in human life, and defined its four major functions: 1. The Metaphysical Function - Awakening a sense of awe before the mystery of being 2. The Cosmological Function - Explaining the shape of the universe 3. The Sociological Function - Validating and supporting the existing social order 4. The Pedagogical Function - Teaching and guiding the individual through the stages of life Mythology and storytelling is a universal human drive. Through these four steps, myth informs and enhances human understanding of not only the world around us, but who we are, both in society and within ourselves. By mythologising our own lives, we can understand them, and work out our place in them. By experiencing our own adventures, we too can learn. Campbell examined the traditions of a wide range of cultures and pulled out common themes and elements, many of which are very familiar today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhk4N9A0oCA (this follows the 12-step conception of the Monomyth - the are many different takes which essentially amount to the same idea) Campbell broke the Monomyth down into three main stages: Separation, Initiation, and Return. Through the 17 sub-steps the hero leaves their ordinary life, and is initiated into a larger and more dangerous world. Finally they return from their adventure, equipped with the new skills or powers they have earned through their hardships. In modern fiction writing this is still an important sequence of events; authors are taught to introduce their protagonist, then subject them to increasingly severe conflict, before resolving their journey in a way which shows how their challenges have affected them. Quote: The hero, therefore, is the man or woman who has been able to battle past his personal and local limitations to the generally valid, normally human forms. Such a one's visions, ideas, inspirations come from the primary springs of human thought. Hence they are eloquent, not of the present, disintegrating society and psyche, but of the unquenched source through which society is reborn. The hero has died as a modern man; but as eternal man - perfected, unspecific, universal man - he is reborn. His second solemn task and deed therefore [...] is to return then to us, transfigured, and teach the lesson he has learned of life renewed. From The Hero with a Thousand Faces Many important myths, and indeed most modern examples written after Campbell defined the Monomyth, follow all the stages of the Hero's Journey. But this isn't necessary to show the existence of the Monomyth. Many myths and legends conform to most of the stages, and are thus evidence of the same underlying pattern but perhaps missing a step or two (for example Beowulf never "refuses the call", nor does he encounter a temptress). Some familiar tales only relate to single moments of the overarching journey, for example the stage of temptation. And some successful stories don't follow the Monomyth at all. But underlying much of human mythology, and therefore human understanding of what the world is and who we are, is the same story of a single hero, undergoing a single transformative quest. Examples Spoiler: Below is a list of significant and familiar stories from world history which give examples of the Hero's Journey. You will note there are many recent examples, this is to demonstrate how the structure of early examples remain in wide use today. * Gilgamesh (Mesopotamia, c. 1800 BC) * The Odyssey (Greece, c. 700 BC) * The Enlightenment of Buddha (India, c. 400 BC) * The Crucifixion of Jesus (Middle East, c. 33 AD) * Beowulf (England, c. 750) * The Theft of Thor's Hammer (Scandinavia, c. 1000) * King Arthur (England, c. 1130) * The Lord of the Rings (England, 1937-1949) * Star Wars Episode IV (USA, 1977) * The Karate Kid (USA, 1984) * The Lion King (USA, 1994) * The Matrix (USA, 1999) * Harry Potter (England, 1997-2007) PLEASE NOTE: In future discussion posts, I will be giving examples of each of the stages of the Hero's Journey in relation to the stories named above (no others). As such, all future "Examples" sections may contain spoilers for these stories! Questions Spoiler: * Re-read Campbell's four functions of mythology. Now think about a myth which is important to you (feel free to use Star Wars, another example I gave, or any other beloved myth). Does it satisfy the four functions? How so? * Homer wrote the Odyssey around 700BC. George Lucas wrote Star Wars in the 1970s, over 2500 years later. Both were successful in creating enduring, beloved myths. Why do you think both followed the same structure? What does this tell you about the writers? How about the audience? * Read this article on the collective unconscious. How do you feel about it? Does the collective unconscious seem like a realistic idea to you? How does it relate to a belief in the Force? * The Hero's Journey tells the tale of a single person undergoing challenges and becoming something greater than they were for the benefit of that which they believe in. How does this relate to the Temple of the Jedi Order, and your personal path as a Jedi? Next: The Call to Adventure (Available Friday 26th September) ----- Please post your responses, thoughts, feelings and ideas below.
    • HAPPINESS (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each Bows Some more :) The Magic Of Positive Thinking/The Power Of The Subconscious Mind The magic of positive thinking is real. Adopting behaviours like positive self talk and daily positive affirmations can change the brain's structure and ultimately influence the subconscious mind. So how does the power of positive thinking work its magic in your mind? Together, the conscious and subconscious minds direct the show that is your life. So altering their function will lead to new and different ways of being. Let's begin with a few definitions: The Subconscious Mind: It's worth noting that the "subconscious mind" I'm speaking of, is what Freud called the "unconscious mind". There is no subconscious mind in psychoanalysis. It is more of a new age, self development term. So when referring to the subconscious mind, I'm talking about that part of the mind that stores feelings, perceptions, complexes, beliefs and desires that are all outside of our conscious awareness, yet have a powerful influence over the actions and behaviours we take in every moment. The unconscious mind is associated with the dreaming, reflecting, meditating and sleeping state. It is intuitive, easily making associations and connections between thoughts, ideas and feelings. It does your perceiving and feeling. The Conscious Mind: The conscious mind is the antithesis of the subconscious mind. It does all of your intellectual thinking. It's the part of your mind responsible for your self-talk, the endless stream of mind chatter that can on occasion almost send you crazy. The conscious mind likes logical order and sequential information. It likes things to make sense, to have reason. At any one time, the conscious mind can manage awareness of about seven or eight bits of information. The Magic Of Positive Thinking: The Power Of Your Subconscious Mind While we like to think we have conscious control over what we attract, what we do in life, and how we behave, the truth is, the subconscious has most of the control. So when you aren't attracting what you want in life, it's an indication that unconsciously you have low expectations for yourself. Even if on a conscious level you make every effort to achieve something, unless your unconscious carries synergistic expectations, then it will be difficult to achieve. The Magic Of Positive Thinking: Programming The Subconscious Mind Information is received by the subconscious mind from the conscious mind. Your conscious mind perceives the world through your senses. It then attaches a judgment to these thoughts that creates a feeling. The feeling is then lodged into your unconscious mind as a belief. Since all of your unconscious beliefs were first conscious thoughts, it stands to reason that you can change or reprogram your subconscious mind by actively adopting new thinking. This is where the magic of positive thinking comes into play! Using The Magic Of Positive Thinking To Impact Your Life Become aware of your negative programming and beliefs. For example, perhaps growing up you were teased (as so many kids are) about a facial feature or your sports ability. And now, no matter what you do, you cannot see yourself as anything but ugly or anything but a klutz. In each of these cases, the negative beliefs you want to reprogram are "I am ugly" and "I am a klutz". Activate the power of positive thinking: start feeding your conscious mind with new beliefs. At this stage, it's not important that you agree with your new belief, what's important is that it's motivating to you and you'd like to believe it to be true. So in each case, the new beliefs you would want to instill in yourself are "I am truly beautiful, inside and out" and "I am good at sports/I am comfortable in my body". Continue feeding your mind stimulus that aligns with these statements. Meditation (especially binaural brain beat meditations and hypnosis are like super vitamins at this.) They help you achieve a relaxed state where its much easier to accept and integrate positive self talk. You can also incorporate positive daily affirmations and visualization exercises to help make change more rapid. Overtime, as you keep feeding yourself new positive stimulus the negative thoughts you've become so used to hearing will become quieter. Through repeated exposure to your new beliefs, you will start to change your perception of yourself in these areas. At first you'll notice the change in small things. Perhaps you'll decide to take up a sport or if you're belief was that you are ugly, perhaps you'll notice that you suddenly feel more sexy and confident and you might start to dress differently to reflect this. The main point to remember is that you can practice the magic of positive thinking in your life by controlling what thoughts you focus on. It's not an over claim to say that positive thinking is one of the best self help solutions available. It can do wonders for your life.
    • Jediism, connect multiple communitys and orders. [... (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: Ambassadorship: *waves* Force Academy Light Aspect would be all for it. I know because I'm the official Light Aspect Ambassador across the entire community. Just sayin', I never received an invitation to such a system. You are talking like a maze, saying words to your left and looking to your right. I do not know what you try to tell, can you explain it for me, so confusing :)
    • My vision for a United Jedi Order (Last post by Alan)
    • We express one kind of experience in terms of another. For example, love is a journey. We structure and describe the experience of love in terms of a journey. Or, one kind of concept is metaphorically structured in terms of another. For example, thought is structured in terms of sight; as in, when we understand something we say, "I see."
    • How can we be taken seriously? (Last post by Alan)
    • Myth is the narrative embodiment of an idea and the idea I want to discuss here as the essence of Jediism is Source (henceforth capitalized). If I were to suggest a replacement for Jedi, it would be some variation on Source. Each narrative expression is an attempt to mythologize, symbolize and analogize the nature of the Source. The apprehension of the Source is through the categories through which humans perceive the world, but the Source is itself beyond all the categories of thought and language. All things arise from and return to the source; that ubiquitous power that manifests all that is, whatever its title or name (Energy, Shakti, Force, Mana, Being, Wakonda, Void, or God). Each variation of the adventure is an unchosen expression of the unconscious. Each myth of the hero expresses but one grammar, written in our DNA. Each is a particular vocabulary of the infinite combination of possibilities of our shared human embodiment. "And so, to grasp the full value of the mythological figures that have come down to us, we must understand that they are not only symptoms of the unconscious (as indeed are all human thoughts and acts) but also controlled and intended statements of certain spiritual principles, which have remained constant throughout the course of human history as the form and nervous structure of the human physique itself" (Campbell, Hero With a Thousand Faces, 257). The symbolism of mythology has psychological significance, but not only that because its is mediated by our embodiment. Thought and language arise also from our embodiment. Myth, is always more than simply a story, it is a narrative that chronicles the path of the hero traversing a spiritual landscape to find the Source. The hero’s adventure is the rediscovery of the nature of the universe, that is, from whence it comes to us as mediated by our perception. Whether the hero is finding the magical object, arriving at the garden of perfection, drinking the elixir of life, receiving special powers, rescuing those held captive, returning to the lost paradise, or achieving an illuminating insight: she or he is Everyman seeking to know and accept the place of the human being in the cosmos. In it is found the profoundest depths of the human condition. The Source is to be understood as both the essence of the universe and also that of the human reality. Understanding, “emerges from interaction, from constant negotiation with the environment and other people. It emerges in the following way: the nature of our bodies and our physical and cultural environment imposes a structure on our experience…” (Lakoff and Johnson, Metaphors We Live By, 230).
    • Jedi and Padawan in the fictional Star Wars univer... (Last post by Goken)
    • I'd probably pick Obi-Wan. I like his saber style and his personality. You can see his loyalty to his friends while he remains detatched. He was patient and smart, avoided confrontation whenever possible but was no push-over. I almost have to force myself through an episode of the Clone Wars if he's not in it.
    • Jedi Prayers / Psalms / Invocations (Last post by Phortis Nespin)
    • I as the Force (a mantra) I breath in the Force; I breath out the Force I move with the Force; I am motionless with the Force I think with the Force; I am empty with the Force I am Kind with the Force; I am Compassionate with the Force I defend with the Force; I heal with the Force I Serve with the Force; I Love with the Force It is the Light in the Darkness; It is the Darkness in the Light It is All Things; It is Nothing It is Life; It is Lifelessness The Force as I; I as the Force
    • MTG prerelease tonight!!! (Last post by rugadd)
    • I used to be a judge for that. Got $85 store credit for the last few boxes just last week. I just can not afford it anymore. Crack the Gathering for sure.
    • "The Way of the Knight of Jedi Realism" ... (Last post by MJ Hannigan)
    • Quote: That's one of the things I enjoy about you most, Hannigan. I never feel like I have to worry about how your self esteem is doing. When am I going to be a guest on your show? Well i am taking this sunday off from "Jedi Realist Radio Presents" and i will start my new Series next sunday where i will be talking about concepts from Living the Martial Way book. I will give you a outline of dates times and subjects and you are welcome to jump on any show you like. This goes for anyone if you want to call in I would love to have you.

There are 118 visitors, 5 guests and 16 members online (none are in chat): Br. John, Shadouness, Firewolf, Jestor, Proteus, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Alan, MCSH, Llama Su, Kamizu, zeronycon, elizabeth, tzb, Zenchi, jadedbehan, Mathew Erickson, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Quae-Do Lumen.

Follow Us