Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • speed of light (Last post by Gisteron)
    • If c was infinite, no equation involving it would be well-defined. That doesn't mean mass would be infinite, but that the proportionality of mass and energy would not be identifiable. Reference frame dependant energy types lika pretty much all pre-relativistic stuff like mechanics, electricity, thermodynamics, all would have a concept of energy that would be very much quantifiable irrespective of the value of the speed of light. The speed of light is also not finely tuned for the possibility of the elements we know nor life as we know it. Natural constants are not arbitrary and mutually independant and assuming that universes with different values to those constants are possible, there could be any number of them with vastly different values but with forms of energy nothing unlike the ones we are familiar with and therefore life just as we know it from ours and that is leaving out all the other types of life we probably haven't even dreamt of yet. Interestingly, things like population dynamics and the resulting evolution would be exactly the same no matter what the universal constants would be in the particular instance.
    • self examination and the Conflict Impulse (Last post by V-Tog)
    • Quote: why cant we help ourselves lol ? flight or fight seems to apply to even to silly things like internet trolling thats the topic -why do we react when we know better? Well firstly, 'fight or flight' is built into our nature - it's a natural biological/physiological impulse, survival of the fittest and all that... Sometimes we're a bit hard on ourselves when we conclude "Yes but I have the ability to think logically and I should know better". There are biological processes that kick in and send our nervous systems into overdrive, making it more or less impossible to think calmly. Once in that state it's very hard to voluntarily drag oneself out of it again, so it can be helpful to maintain an awareness of one's triggers and early 'symptoms' so that we can snap out of it before adrenalin and whatnot has really had a chance to take hold. I've learnt what some of my most common triggers are and nowadays the moment that they come up I mentally flag it up to myself ("V! TRIGGER ALERT! You're going to feel tempted to react to that!") and I take a step back and tell myself "Don't take it personally". The fight or flight response is our reaction to feeling threatened or attacked, which, when occurring in a verbal or written situation, more often than not translates to taking things personally. Other people's words can only affect us in that way if we allow them to. It sounds very simplistic, but for me it works. Mostly. :blush:
    • Global and catastrophic thinking. (Last post by rugadd)
    • I gave up on that level of self assurance years ago. I can't think that way any more. The truth is, I DON'T know, so thinking like I do is right out. It was causing too much harm, to much misrepresentation. I still catch myself in writing or occasionally while speaking, but that is more about comfortable phrases as opposed to a concrete, broad sweeping belief that it may represent.
    • Making of a Jedi Warrior (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: I tend to see the ideal 'warrior' as some sort of non-state aligned Navy Seal type of character, using technology to insert somewhere, conduct special reconnaissance of some important inappropriateness or calamity, and then assist other more suitable assets to conduct operations. Though they tend to look like Imperial Pilots with the whole drysuits, UBA's and face mask thing!!! Then I wheel back to the ideology of the mindset to achieve that, and tend to think the US Army SF and USMC MARSOC have a neat approach with the foreign internal defense capability for that particular aspect - perhaps covering the civil engineering, medical and cultural components more. I guess there is a bridge there between being a subject matter expert and having some real world role in achieving outcomes, in outlandish ideal fantasy land, though hopefully not needing guns, demolitions and fire support :pinch: That said, the hand to hand fighting an improvised weapon training I think is a core component of that bridge between holding the mindset and using the toolkit, for a Jedi 'warrior'. YES! lol this exactly also de oppreso liber
    • "If you're not doing anything wrong..." (Last post by Giz0404)
    • An interesting topic, by all accounts, one which does inspire strong views. I have been on the "other side", as it were, and I have to ask you all the same question I was forced to ask myself; Would you die, or possibly be forced to kill to save a loved one? There was no mediation, no time to run for help, and I was only a 16 year old boy who was outmatched in every way but one; I carried a walking stick that I had not only spent years walking on, but years working on his fighting skill with. I was lost in a rage so profound I blacked out, and witness statement of a very reliable nature steps in here, I warned him to step back from my friend who was dying under his hands before my eyes, and when he did so his rage and malice was then directed at me. I admit I prefer it this way, as long as I am his intent, my friend is not. It was my next actions that even I question, with my friend's and my own life hanging in the balance I reacted from my training and struck at the oncoming man in the head. This nearly killed him. For three months or more his life hung in the balance, his family tortured all that time. His niece once my closest female friend, hates me completely to this day and I still despair over it to this day. Was it right to do this? I done my time for it, and the man lives to this day, though he is no longer of sound mind or body because of it. We make our choices and must live with the consequences, must learn from it, take what wisdom can be taught and become a better pesron from our past to be better in the future. That is truly my past, and from it I believe I have learnt some valid yet harsh lessons. The actions we take dictate our future, yet we must be aware and take into account that our actions will impact upon and sometimes even dictate others paths, many more than anyone is capable of seeing. Our actions create ripples in the Force that can be felt for generations. I believe that a law should only be broken for the good of others, and if punishment should come from this we must accept it willingly and use our time to reflect upon our own connection to the Force and how our actions could have been more in tune with the Force to truly better ourselves and our world. May the Force be withh you.
    • Last names post marriage (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • My wife still has her name. I'm quite pleased that she did. Our son has her last name as a second middle name, or third name. People are funny about it sometimes, like I must not be assertting my will hard enough over the household. Most people seem quite pleased when I explain it, though.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by elizabeth)
    • I am grateful for the sermons that many times say just what you need and grateful for the people who put in some much to the Temple. Not all of it seen. Thanks
    • Beyond Carnism and towards Rational, Authentic Foo... (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: I will always have a pro-meat bias. It is a nutrient- and calorie-dense food, and even though I'm turning chunky, my metabolism is about Goku-level. This makes meat (red or white), in conjunction with a balanced diet, really efficient for the way my body processes food. I could, theoretically, live without meat. But I've done it before, and I have to eat so much more food to maintain the same levels of energy that it would take me a lot of gardening or consume my entire income to try to eat vegan for a prolonged period of time. if yours is goku level and you can actually maintain your energy level without meat for any amount of time i'm scared to figure out what my level would be....every time i've tried going without meat i make it at most 3 days before i lack the strength to support myself...during those 3 days i'm eating nonstop and the hunger is never sated and i can feel myself getting weaker....
    • Harsh Words (Last post by TheDude)
    • I don't believe in harsh or offensive words. The words can be used in an offensive way, and even can be nearly exclusively used in an offensive way. But I don't think that makes the words inherently offensive. Now, it might be advantageous to say certain words sparingly or not at all, given the common reaction to those words. But I don't think they're inherently offensive. One word may be accepted in one situation and be unacceptable in another situation, even the majority of situations. This is just a social rule. And what if the word was created for the sole purpose to hurt? And I do not mean that one of its purposes is to hurt, but that the only purpose the word serves is to hurt? I do not think this is the case with any word in the English language. Even racial slurs, though used as insults, also serve the function of referring to a race. I will supply a word for the sole purpose of hurting someone, then, and it is xalagafalo. Now, since xalagafalo serves no purpose other than to hurt, it goes against most codes of ethics to ever use the term. It is an inherently offensive term, serves no purpose but to diminish pleasure and maximize pain, and has no place in a utilitarian society. Tl;dr: Words are not inherently offensive, but if there were words which are inherently harsh or offensive it would never be acceptable to use those terms. As for when it's okay to be harsh with someone, only in cases where they MUST be corrected (for example, someone who enjoys killing innocent people) and they will not listen without you being harsh it is okay.
    • No true scotsmen (Last post by Arcade)
    • Quote: or what it means to be a pagan The word 'Pagan' is very broad and (in my mind anyway) similar to 'Jedi'. Paganism is an umbrella term for an entire spectrum of beliefs that are tied together by a few basic concepts that practitioners adhere to, just like Jediism. I don't know two Pagans (or Jedi) who hold the same beliefs or go about their practices the same way. When I first joined TotJO, I asked someone what was necessary to call oneself Jedi, and they said 1) a belief in the Force (whatever that is to each individual)... 2) a desire to learn and continually enhance our understandings of who we are... and 3) a drive to help others in some way. I've been thinking about definitions and labels lately, and in some cases they don't serve those things being defined in a positive manner. Personally, I like that there is no clear definition of Jedi/Jediism. That open-endedness is undoubtedly one of the reasons I've stuck around. :) As a side note, Unitarian Universalists do all right without too much 'structure'. The Wikipedia page states, "Unitarian Universalists do not share a creed but are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth." Being a Unitarian Universalist doesn't seem too far removed from being a Jedi in that sense. Our identities develop out of our own interpretations of who we are rather than from what other people think we are, which doesn't seem like a bad thing.
    • Star Wars the old republic (Last post by TraptInside)
    • Lol ok, my character I believe is either 2 or 3... I didnt get to spend much time on it yesterday and so far havent been on today though for sure will be later on or even in a few minutes here. The character name is the same as my name here, TraptInside, I have a few higher levels, just on different servers though, but I feel like I need to stick with the new character for a bit and go back over the basics since its been awhile since Ive played

There are 222 visitors, 9 guests and 38 members online (4  in chat): Akkarin, steamboat28, Shadouness, RyuJin, Jestor, Karn, Darren, Desolous, Gisteron, Proteus, Luthien, V-Tog, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Alan, MCSH, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Nicole Judge, Edan, Rick D, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, Cristris_Jons, Goken, Rocda, Cyan Sarden, MrBruno, Quaesitor Veritatis, Atticus509, Giz0404, The Penguin, Oakenshaw, Mongo, Rob78, Megan, JediSmyth.

Follow Us