Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Books for Free (Public Domain) (Last post by Zenchi)
    • The site to this link provides horror (Lovecraft) and a broad selection of the Occult... darkbooks.org/collection/categories.html
    • a little toilet humor (Last post by RyuJin)
    • This first one is for wes and our other texans :lol: Spoiler: [attachment] This one is for our married members Spoiler: [attachment] This is for any apple/mac users Spoiler: [attachment] And for everyone that admires admiral ackbar Spoiler: [attachment]
    • Ebola (Last post by Adder)
    • It's a boring read, but these things are needed I guess for agencies to ramp up allocation of staff and resources in some organized manner; "WHO issued this roadmap for scaled-up response to the Ebola outbreak. The goal is to stop Ebola transmission in affected countries within 6-9 months and prevent international spread. The roadmap will assist governments and partners in the revision and resourcing of country-specific operational plans for Ebola response, and the coordination of international support for their full implementation. The objectives are: 1.to achieve full geographic coverage with complementary Ebola response activities in countries with widespread and intense transmission. 2. to ensure emergency and immediate application of comprehensive Ebola response interventions in countries with an initial case(s) or with localized transmission. 3. to strengthen preparedness of all countries to rapidly detect and respond to an Ebola exposure, especially those sharing land borders with an intense transmission area and those with international transportation hubs." You can download the 1.4mb PDF here Bad news is that it might peak during the Northern Hemisphere winter (since it seems to be able to be spread by sneezing in someones face if they have a flu or something), which is good news if it can be contained to Africa because it will be the Summer for Central and Southern Africa during this period. Quote: The deadly Ebola outbreak in West Africa could infect more than 20,000 people before it is brought under control, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned. The dire prediction came as more than 3,000 people had been registered as being infected with the virus. However the WHO said the true figure could be much higher. More than 1,500 people have already died from the virus, with most of the deaths occurring in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. In a new anti-Ebola plan, the UN health agency said it aimed to reverse the trend within three months, with the final aim of stopping "all residual transmission within six to nine months". It said the number of infections "could exceed 20,000 over the course of this emergency". "This roadmap assumes that in many areas of intense transmission the actual number of cases may be two to fourfold higher than that currently reported," it said. The plan, which has a price tag of $490 million during the six-month campaign, called for a massive ramping up of efforts to contain and defeat the epidemic. PS: I dont intend to update this thread all the time, just thought this might be of interest for organisational deployment more generally.
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • Creating plasma using a grape and a microwave is one of the great home science experiments. In this video Veritasium shows you how and discusses the science. For the confused, the plasma made here is the fourth state of matter, after solids, liquids and gas. It shouldn’t be confused with blood plasma, which is actually a liquid and something you probably shouldn't be experimenting with at home. That leaves the question, why grapes? As Derek and Steve note, lots of things will work, and you can have plenty of fun finding out which ones do. However, a typical large grape is about a quarter the wavelength of the microwaves your oven produces, which is the perfect size to act as an antenna. The grape needs to be cut so that the joining section heats up to the point where it vaporizes while the rest of the grape is still intact. Read more at www.iflscience.com/physics/how-make-plas...#xkuCJJWBJMVQozAA.99
    • ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • ALS- great cause. Ice Bucket Challenge- I live in a state in the middle of a drought, as such I won't participate. Donation- I already have two medically affiliated organizations I donate to: Marfan Syndrome Research and Make-A-Wish Foundation, as such I'd rather see my money go towards these causes because I have a family dear to me that has Marfan, and I've seen what it is like for her to live a "normal" life without being able to do a lot of the things she wants to do (such as horseback riding or going to amusement parks) due to the elevated risks of heart attack at an early age. From this challenge, ALS has already made more than enough, my small donation isn't much of an impact in the grand scheme to them, but it would be towards the other two. Reading the Article: Much of the information on the organization itself is not a surprise. You need to keep people on the pay schedule, otherwise you'll loose good employees. I think I've argued this before on a discussion here at ToTJO regarding any other charity in general (more specifically Red Cross if I remember right). So it's not shocking in the least. Drugs take a long time to test- that they abandoned something 10 years in, is neither surprising or unexpected. Sometimes you need that time to determine if it works or not. I mean, heck, look at all these different lawsuit commercials popping up about various other drugs on the market. Those were years in the making also- what would have happened if they abandoned them and tried something new? We don't know, because sometimes a business wants to try and get money off of the product they've invested in- sometimes they really do believe in the product, and then later on when the lawsuits show up, well they still may end up with more bank than if they had not tried after it. Now let's talk about those alternatives. I'm very iffy to believe in alternative medicines without the appropriate backing. So I'll reserve judgement on it until I get an opportunity to research that information further.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by tzb)
    • leaves together made, we make the dividing line indistinct each nothing adding nothing leaving only space each memory plots a course: a summer day which became a leaf fated to the autumn, finally entombed within the snow we rise ephemeral as smoke a curved and coiling ring which turns inward, inward until there's nothing left.
    • Art as Meditation? (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • I've been doing this style of symmetrical drawing in which I start out with a simple design and mimic symmetry by drawing the same thing on both sides (or on both top and bottom). I don't think much about what I'm going to draw, I just draw. The point for me has never been about making something, but rather just be totally present in making this drawing. It was until recently that I realized that this may be a form of meditation. Anyone else do something like this? Here's one I did today: [image]

There are 100 visitors, 9 guests and 13 members online (one is in chat): Shadouness, Jestor, Nakis, Proteus, MCSH, Whyte Horse, Brenna, Llama Su, Kamizu, zeronycon, Cyrith, Edan, tzb, Zenchi, jadedbehan, Trice Corbel, SeventhSL, jammy12789, Chadius4, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Ilyowh Eclipseblast.

Follow Us